Why are the Pampers Easy Ups called "training underwear" instead of "training pants"?

bigtoddler96

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
Why does Pampers calls its Easy Ups "training underwear" instead of "training pants"? I have always considered a type of pull-up that's for toddlers and preschoolers a training pant and I never even heard of the term "training underwear" until one day, when I saw the front of the Pampers Easy Ups packaging. Everyone else calls it training pants, so Pampers should do the same thing and start using the term "training pants". on it's Easy Ups packaging.

Attachments

• pampers easy ups corrected.png
    pampers easy ups corrected.png
    134.5 KB · Views: 13
Some people refer to trousers as pants, underwear is less ambiguous.

Ultimately they are free to call them whatever they please and we all know what they mean by it.

Same reason Pampers calls their 360s diapers instead of pull-ups. Pampers is effin ignorant and they're all about the money.

Proctor and Gamble:
"Let's take a pull-up and call it a diaper, ppl will suck it right up!"

And ppl did.

It's an effin pull-up ppl.

I'm guessing a marketing gig, parents trying to get their kids out of diapers and into underwear. Pampers names a pull on diaper "underwear". Parent buys and is satisfied they found the tool they need at home. Pampers celebrates and says mission accomplished lol

Reactions: lonnie
Because everyone wants their child in underwear, not a diaper or training pants( aka pull-up)
Truth be told, they should never be toilet trained until age 16.

Reactions: Deleted member 62334
Truthfully, I'm sure it's marketing. P&G must have figured, through focus groups, or other means that moms like the term training underwear over training pants. It would be interesting to see if that leads to more sales.

Without looking at any numbers, my assumption is that pullups outsell easyups. This is probably an effort by P&G to try to get an edge.

Reactions: Spidermanbatman
enigmatic said:
Truthfully, I'm sure it's marketing. P&G must have figured, through focus groups, or other means that moms like the term training underwear over training pants. It would be interesting to see if that leads to more sales.

Without looking at any numbers, my assumption is that pullups outsell easyups. This is probably an effort by P&G to try to get an edge.
I'm sure pull-ups do, if for no other reason people like the velcro sides, especially daycare centers, because they say they don't have to take the child's pants off to change them. Which means of course they're changing the pull-up like a diaper, which just reinforces to the child "Huh, they're putting it on like a diaper, and it feels like a diaper on me, and I can use it like one...it must be one."

Weird "Granny pant" style on the sides aside, I think Easy-ups are the better product. They're softer, and the 3 channel absorbency I think can hold more than pull-ups (although the pull-ups "new leaf" are freaking insane in what they hold). Easy-ups are also the only ones to come in size 5T-6T, currently.

They would definitely benefit from a tab in the back for disposal though, similar to the Pampers 360. Trying to roll up a soiled Easy-up, even after dumping the poop, is just gross, and the smells are not contained.

By the standards of American English then there correct to call them underwear, as that's what they are, not pants (aka trousers) because pants go over the underwear.
All the adult pullups on walmart.com are branded as 'underwear'.

What is questionable is the training part, what function these serve I have no idea, there's no feel wet liner, no fade when wet design so there just a pull on diaper.

Spidermanbatman said:
I'm sure pull-ups do, if for no other reason people like the velcro sides, especially daycare centers, because they say they don't have to take the child's pants off to change them. Which means of course they're changing the pull-up like a diaper, which just reinforces to the child "Huh, they're putting it on like a diaper, and it feels like a diaper on me, and I can use it like one...it must be one."

Weird "Granny pant" style on the sides aside, I think Easy-ups are the better product. They're softer, and the 3 channel absorbency I think can hold more than pull-ups (although the pull-ups "new leaf" are freaking insane in what they hold). Easy-ups are also the only ones to come in size 5T-6T, currently.

They would definitely benefit from a tab in the back for disposal though, similar to the Pampers 360. Trying to roll up a soiled Easy-up, even after dumping the poop, is just gross, and the smells are not contained.
I wore pullups a lot growing up. Not only while potty training but as I got older too and started wearing diapers again. I've never tried easyups. I should have when I could have actually fit into them. I don't understand why the frilly sides are moving into the children's aspect of the diaper market. They do look ridiculous.

Reactions: Spidermanbatman
Back