Who here plays a musical instrument?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Piano since my childhood (I can't remember how old I was, 4 or 5 I think). But I did stop in my teens. My parents wanted me to play a classical instrument, which I have been fine with until I did feel forced at one point, so I did throw it away for half a decade. Until some years ago when I wanted to try it again out of curiosity, and probably since a lot of things changed.
Did feel kinda strange at first to be honest, especially my hands did feel quite stiff, but it's easy to remember if you learned it already, although it still takes some time and it doesn't feel like I used to play.
My fault for playing rarely, roughly 2 times a month for some hours if the mood strikes. And then I need that time until I'm fine playing again.

Bluestars said:
For the piano players in this thread, who long did it take you to become acceptably proficient at it? 3 years? 5? ...10?
From my experience and what I heard from other people I'd say around 4 years. You should be able to play any pop/rock ballad or basic classical pieces at least, easily. But of course some practice more and some are just more naturally gifted in playing the piano, so it depends.
If you know the technique then 1 hour/day is more then enough to maintain it, while learning new material and developing skills.

Regarding some hard classical music pieces... you practically can't work your way around practicing 4 hours a day to master them. Although there is a saying of there's no such thing as a difficult piece, it comes down to sorting out the geography. Knowing the tricky parts and... practice practice practice. But this goes into the direction of competitions, majoring in music or anything similar.

I've been playing pianos and keyboards practically since I was born, and drums for nine years. I sing too.

Wow, a lot of organists here. I have played the organ in church and for a brief period of time owned a pipe organ, but never considered myself really an organist.

I started playing guitar and uke in adulthood after a chance meeting with some old school rock stars from the 60's. The bass player in particular was encouraging when I admitted I always wanted to learn music. I have since picked up some keyboard and bass as well.

A close family member of mine has a small recording studio set up in his house, and we like to record and jam sometimes. I've gotten pretty good with the production side of things the last few years.

It's just a hobby, but it's a great way to unwind. I recently had an infected hand that prevented me from playing for a couple weeks. I didn't realize how often I pluck the guitar to relax until I couldn't do it anymore. It's nice to be back playing.

Mallonic and rythmic percussion. Building a chomatic kalimba.I have a normal one, but I have a hard time finding pieces in Gb that i like, and fit the range. I would love to have a nice marimba, though

I played various percussion instruments and the guitar in high school (was in every band available and played guitar in church and in small settings).

I plink around on the piano. I actually recently purchased a keyboard, so I can start learning piano more seriously.

I still play my acoustic from time to time and break out a practice pad or four and play marching band cadences.

I'd like to pick the tabla back up again.

Chanch0 said:

I love playing Bari Sax. I also slap a little bass, and I'm looking to buy a new bass guitar soon!

Slide Trombone when I was in Elementary School now I could not carry a tune to save my soul I would sound like I did when I first get the thing.

I've been playing guitar since I was 19. Never took any lessons or played in a band though, but I do enjoy learning and playing songs I like or coming up with songs of my own.

I play the harmonica!

I play a little bit of guitar but I'm not great at it so I got into sound engineering :)

I tortured the trumpet first, then attempted the Susa phone in grade school. Then in 2000 I learned to play the Native American Love flute. Now I an having a hard time converting from pentatonic scale to full scale so I can play Classical music with it.

I would love be able to play classical recorder music with my kids.

I play the French Horn, and I used to play the trumpet before that. I learned piano when I was young, but have forgotten it in the interim.

I myself learned to play the guitar.
I had private lessons decades ago.
Occasionally I pick my guitar up and I play it.

I've been playing clarinet since 5th grade. I'm learning the guitar and play the harmonica for fun sometimes.

Guitar and some Vocal (If you count the voice as an instrument), actually starting a project with a few friends to try and play at a few bars for fun. ^.^

flute, clarinet, piano, violin

I play the piano (now that I have access to one again also pretty frequently) and the guitar. I had piano lessons for 4 years when I was a child but I kind of forgot some stuff as I started playing the guitar in my teens (which was way cooler than the piano). Now I love to play both, but go more often with the piano.

- Luci

I play the tuba. We rule the band.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back