When you have mild incontinence and wear diapers but can use the toilet question

Do you use your diaper voluntarily or the toilet?

• I don’t use my diaper voluntarily

• I use my diaper voluntarily

• I always try to make it to the toilet

• I don’t care, that is what my diaper is for

Results are only viewable after voting.
While I don't consider myself fully incontinent, I do have POTS and drink A TON of fluids each day to stay hydrated. POTS has, I think, caused some nerve damage and I will have pretty irregular "flow rates" and very regular post-void leakage regardless of volume each void. When I have a low "flow rate" I usually have split streams (2-3 streams going in different directions).

On my good days I can limit my intake and manage my bladder cramps and frequency on that end of things. I just kind of let my boxers soak up the post void drips since they are pretty small and usually only the size of a quarter. I have tried guards, but they tend to bunch up and really annoy me after a while.

On my bad days, I can't keep up with my fluids and have to go every 30 minutes or so. I get really painful and frequent spasms / cramps on these days. To alleviate the cramps and help manage a functional life as a husband, father, and business professional I will wear a diaper and just use at the first sign of needing to go. It definitely helps with the pain and anxiety of always running (sometimes urgently) to the bathroom. I use them to keep up my normal life and not let my symptoms control my life.

Reactions: queerpeanut, Fleetwoodmac32192, Happy2BeInNappies2 and 3 others
I'm profoundly incontinent, not mild incontinent or using my diaper for convenience. I can see that many here have at least tried to use the bathroom.
Just thinking about this is simply a fantasy for me. I remember when I was in jr. high school and I was trying to do some toilet training. When I was a young kid my mom was trying to help me. Obviously it never worked. She would say "Well, I guess having to wear a diaper isn't the worst." After a while we just accepted it. Years later I would try toilet training myself. I would sit around the toilet for over an hour. Yeah, it was frustrating. Most of the time it didn't work. I'd put on my diaper and within 20 minutes I'd flood my diaper. But every once in a while I'd be sitting on the toilet and bingo, there it was. I'd be peeing on the toilet. It was like magic. But it never lasted. After a while I just stopped trying. I do feel the urges. And sometimes they are fairly strong. Even with an intense urgency I never had time for using a bathroom. I'm fine with using my diaper. Lets face it, that's what a diaper is for.

• Sad
Reactions: Happy2BeInNappies2, Angelapinks, Diaperman95 and 1 other person
berrt said:
While I don't consider myself fully incontinent, I do have POTS and drink A TON of fluids each day to stay hydrated. POTS has, I think, caused some nerve damage and I will have pretty irregular "flow rates" and very regular post-void leakage regardless of volume each void. When I have a low "flow rate" I usually have split streams (2-3 streams going in different directions).

On my good days I can limit my intake and manage my bladder cramps and frequency on that end of things. I just kind of let my boxers soak up the post void drips since they are pretty small and usually only the size of a quarter. I have tried guards, but they tend to bunch up and really annoy me after a while.

On my bad days, I can't keep up with my fluids and have to go every 30 minutes or so. I get really painful and frequent spasms / cramps on these days. To alleviate the cramps and help manage a functional life as a husband, father, and business professional I will wear a diaper and just use at the first sign of needing to go. It definitely helps with the pain and anxiety of always running (sometimes urgently) to the bathroom. I use them to keep up my normal life and not let my symptoms control my life.
This sounds very familiar, i just started a test with ORS and it seems to help A LOT. I am down from 6000ml to 3500ml average intake now, without worsening my POTS symptoms. You should give it a try.

Reactions: Lethdale
Errrr…what is “POTS”?

Reactions: CLPP, Chinababy888 and Angelapinks
CLPP said:
Errrr…what is “POTS”?
Postural tachycardia syndrome - PoTS

Reactions: CLPP, Pino and Angelapinks
Since I don't need to wear diapers nappies 24/7, as of yet in my life I have the luxury of choosing when and where I should be padded and yes I have a genuine medical reason to be in them.

However I do find that I prefer to be diapered/nappied up in-case of any embarrassing situations in public, and yes I admit I like feeling young again when in them.

However that's besides the point of this conversation at this time, I do use toilets/restrooms, when it's practical if they are clean and tidy if not then I prefer to be like an infant as it helps me avoid any problems with getting infectious diseases from a unhygienic situation.

However that being said I don't always have the luxury of choosing that as if I have a bought of incontinence then I have to rush to where ever is nearest or risk an accident.

I hope this helps awnser your questions.

greatlake5 said:
I'm previously conditioned to read POTS as "Plain Old Telephone Set". I have to look that one up every time.

greatlake5 said:
For what I've read, it's when you get up from sitting and you get dizzy, light headed or sometimes fainting. Also chest pains, heart palpitation, shaking and sweating.

Reactions: CLPP, Pino, Diaperman95 and 2 others
CrossfireHurricane said:
ItFor what I've read, it's when you get up from sitting and you get dizzy, light headed or sometimes fainting. Also chest pains, heart palpitation, shaking and sweating.
That sums it up pretty well. At least that symptom. A better explanation is when at rest and setting they automatic nerve system has pretty even blood flow in the body. But when. We stand our body automatically dilates the vessel in our legs so the blood does not run to the feet. So what happens when the system mess is up and you stand to fast is the blood pressure takes serious drop. Straining to take a poop on the toilet make person black out too.

this was explained to me from my doctor. I hAve no reason to believe him to lie. 😂 But I am no doctor so take it at that. It does also cause other things as well

Reactions: Angelapinks, Pino and Lethdale
POTS is far more than a racing heart when standing, just saying. It is the main symptom giving it the name, as others stated above.
Just some (!) points:

Brain: Fatigue, brain fog, migraines, lightheadedness
Mouth: Dryness, tooth decay, difficulty swallowing
Eyes: Dryness, sluggish pupils. sensitivity to light, greyed out vision
Skin: Dryness, reduced sweating, increased sweating
Heart: Tachycardia, bradycardia, palpitations, chest pain
Blood vessels: Hypotension, hypertension, poor perfusion
Immune Cells: Increased allergies, inflammation
Bladder: Frequent Urination, retention, nocturia, pain
Stomach: Bloating, nausea, vomiting, pain
Intestines: Impaired mobility, constipation, diarrhea, pain
Gallbladder: Reduced mobility, inflammation, pain

The fat written are my personally main problems i do handle all the time.

The autonomic nervous system is really responsible for a lot of stuff going on inside and some symptoms are just a pain in the ass, literally sometimes. ;)

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Angelapinks, Diaperman95, Regularnot and 1 other person
Pino said:
POTS is far more than a racing heart when standing, just saying. It is the main symptom giving it the name, as other stated above.
Just some (!) points:

The autonomic nervous system is really responsible for a lot of stuff going on inside and some symptoms are just a pain in the ass, literally sometimes. ;)
Yes. I gave a quick shorthand for those who can't use Google. 🙏

Reactions: Angelapinks and Pino
Lethdale said:
You still know more and said more than many doctors i have met. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: Angelapinks and Lethdale
munkey said:
my question is; does anyone else who wears for medical need that also has control use their diapers voluntarily? Or do you try to make it to the toilet?
I've been IC since I was a very young kid. I probably shouldn't answer the question because I don't have control (both sphincters extremely weak).
I think I've only used a toilet a couple of times. Usually when I'm in the bathroom when I feel a strong urge and tried to sit on the toilet. I actually pee'd on it. It felt kind of weird. Most of the time I don't even try to use a toilet. Why would I even try? Your question doesn't make sense. "Wearing for medical need that also has control." ? If you have control you wouldn't need diapers.

CrossfireHurricane said:
I've been IC since I was a very young kid. I probably shouldn't answer the question because I don't have control (both sphincters extremely weak).
I think I've only used a toilet a couple of times. Usually when I'm in the bathroom when I feel a strong urge and tried to sit on the toilet. I actually pee'd on it. It felt kind of weird. Most of the time I don't even try to use a toilet. Why would I even try? Your question doesn't make sense. "Wearing for medical need that also has control." ? If you have control you wouldn't need diapers.
I'm sure they mean sporadic control..the odd accident here and there as incontinency begins to take hold.
It is a process.

Reactions: munkey and Angelapinks
I wear due to sizable post dribble which causes multiple returns to the bathroom and accident risk, but it is clear I 'go' more when I am wearing (during the week at work) than when I'm at home (where I have privacy to go back and forth and a toilet at hand). I struggle with is it my choice or not (i.e. stress for example). After the last dribble - third or forth, i do have control for hours and hours.

Reactions: Angelapinks and Lethdale
Pino said:
POTS is far more than a racing heart when standing, just saying. It is the main symptom giving it the name, as others stated above.
Just some (!) points:

Yeah the Vegus nerve in my body is all messed up. I am in the hospital now from Wed when my blood pressure bottomed and kidneys shutting down. Plus my gastroparesis

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: Pino, slimjiminy, Angelapinks and 1 other person
Diaperman95 said:
Yeah the Vegus nerve in my body is all messed up. I am in the hospital now from Wed when my blood pressure bottomed and kidneys shutting down. Plus my gastroparesis
Wishing you well 🙏❤️

• Love
Reactions: Diaperman95 and Angelapinks
My diaper will be used whether I wet it voluntarily and involuntarily.
For me, "voluntary wetting" is a spectrum. On the one end, I am choosing to wet my diaper and actively wetting it. On the other end, I don't have a choice and its what you would call an "accident"
Usually my wetting is somewhere in between. I feel the urge and let it happen.

Lethdale said:
Point made and taken.

I just finally Googled “pots” and, surprisingly for me, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome was the FIRST to come up. 🫤

• Haha
Reactions: Pino and Lethdale
Back