What's the most difficult class you learned in collage?

EcoIncon said:
But the hardest class I ever took was outside of college... the study for my IFR rating as a pilot. The combination of thinking, routine, precision, muscle memory, mental math (trig equations "on the fly") was a unique physical/mental challenge like no single cerebral exercise.
I'd love to hear more about your thoughts on why IFR was such a challenge. I'm still working on my private license and am so far VFR only, but commercial is my goal (probably ATP before all is said and done).

db80 said:
Analog circuitry and electromagnetic fields/ -waves were pretty scary 👻⚡
I excelled at those classes, which is good since I became an analog IC designer.

Linear Algebra and Matrix Analysis

Fluid dynamics was pretty messy. Navier-Stokes and PDEs in general. Professor warned us on the first day that it was the 10th circle of hell that Dante never found. 🤣

A joke at the time in programming circles was how you didn't have enough processor to do Navier-Stokes real time to stimulate bodies of water realistically and how a pet gold fish could do it and blow away your PC.

I took ODE as a summer class in 2 months and got an A, that was a pretty brutal crunch. My partner at the time described my homework as taping pens to a chickens feet and teaching them Macarena, she wanted nothing to do with it. 🤣

Vector calc and linear algebra were really fun though. I was already messing with that stuff doing 3D graphics programming and rigid body simulation with Cauchy-Euler and Runge-Kutta for...yup... video games. 😅

E&M was fun but RF kinda sucked. I-Q planes and all that voodoo. 🥵 Digital is a piece of cake.

The easiest was probably machine architecture and operating systems. They made the mistake of using x86 which I was already intimately familiar with, which was good for me but bad for everyone else. 😝 Not the cleanest or most straightforward architecture to learn from scratch.

Last edited:
Mathematics for engineering, we had two full classes of this and it was very challenging, having to deal with calculus and laplace transforms etc. I had to work so hard to pass those classes. Never used any of that mathematics since though so kinda pointless really!!!

Philosophy.

What does philosophy have to do with a dance bachelor's, is beyond me.

NewMommA said:
Philosophy.

What does philosophy have to do with a dance bachelor's, is beyond me.
Most degrees have to think critically, solve problems and the capacity to learn new things. If you wanted to know only dance, perhaps you would have been better served by simply study dance. Like a dance school?

greatlake5 said:
Most degrees have to think critically, solve problems and the capacity to learn new things. If you wanted to know only dance, perhaps you would have been better served by simply study dance. Like a dance school?
No, I get that.

History, literature and geography are an intrinsic part of my degree.

But philosophy is not required per se in the degree I did.
Unless a dance is based on a poem which has several undertones and meanings.
Where philosophy might help. And thats a big might.

Because literature does that job already.

NewMommA said:
But philosophy is not required per se in the degree I did.
I think legitimate colleges (or university) requires knowledge. I studied business management in grad school. As an under-grad I studied math, accounting along with marketing etc. But my university wanted more knowledge than just accounting.
greatlake5 said:
I remember back in college, our class had a professor during philosophy. He asked us to prove that a Coke can right there exists. We were given those blue booklets and fill out our essay. I wrote "What Coke can?", handed the booklet, picked up my things and walked out. Everyone, including the professor, looked at me thinking I just screwed myself. Right...nope, I got an A the next week. It was the easiest test I ever had.
Philosophy wasn't my favorite. But it did get me to think. It was a selection choice from me. I could have taken something else. As it turned out,
I enjoyed it but it was a low level class. I wasn't required for a 400 level. Still, it got me THINKING.

Reactions: NewMommA
Back