What's the deal with...diaper leaks?

greatlake5

Profoundly incontinent since the beginning.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
What's the deal with... diaper leaks? I suppose leaks are part of being IC. Most of the time I wear plastic pants under my compression shorts. On top of that I sometimes wear an additional booster under my diaper. So I don't leak all the time. I tend to have heavy wetting. And occasionally I'll flash flood during the day.
Which usually means I will have to change (that I hate). So sometimes I get a leak. Even with everything I've used someone might notice. And they don't have to say anything. They just know. Has that happened to you?

• Love
Reactions: Diprs2 and NaughtyBoiNathan
I've been fairly fortunate there. My bladder must be smallish. However, there have been a few night time episodes where I over used my diaper, and it leaked out of the waist and leg openings of my plastic pants. This led to wet PJs and bed sheets. But the IC mat underneath saved the mattress. This seemed to happen after losing hydration after days of retaining from salty snacks.

In the beginning, when I first started wearing pull-ups for my urge IC while shopping, I had a few episodes of coming home very totally soaked (insufficient protection). I remember leaking down my leg on my way to the bathroom. I have since learned from my mistakes.

Reactions: Diprs2
greatlake5 said:
What's the deal with... diaper leaks? I suppose leaks are part of being IC. Most of the time I wear plastic pants under my compression shorts. On top of that I sometimes wear an additional booster under my diaper. So I don't leak all the time. I tend to have heavy wetting. And occasionally I'll flash flood during the day.
Which usually means I will have to change (that I hate). So sometimes I get a leak. Even with everything I've used someone might notice. And they don't have to say anything. They just know. Has that happened to you?
Leaks are definitely a thing that happens on occasion when IC
What diaper are you using?
Few tips / options
Make sure leg guards are sticking up and not flat from shipping
Use a booster pad to increase absorbency / upgrade to larger capacity diaper.
Try and make sure pointing down and middle much as possible
Take diaper rated capacity with a grain of salt. Diapers may say holds 4000ml but that's only under ideal conditions. They do tests on unused diaper, padding might clump or shift. They also want higher numbers for better advertising. I know 25-30% off capacity numbers.

Have a "go bag" full change of clothes or 2 + everything you need to change & clean up. Keep in car / locker at work or bring to outings etc.

Use a mattress protector sheet + a soaker pad (washable or disposable)

Reactions: Diprs2 and IncontinentArtist
greatlake5 said:
leaks happen I just learned to accept this as part of having to wear nappies.

Reactions: Diprs2 and tiron101
SparkyDog said:
What diaper are you using?
I've used a couple different diapers but for years now I wear Confidry 24/7. Sometimes I'll use plastic backed Abena but my "go-to" diaper is Confidry.
Comfortable and good absorption
SparkyDog said:
I think I already use these tips. Boosters, plastic pants, quality disposable diaper and during the day compression shorts. And for sleeping I too use a
water-proof bed pad (always necessary). As for an "emergency bag" I have one in my car though I rarely use it. To be honest I hate changing in public. I do have a private bathroom in my own office and obviously at home. If I have to change out in public I just do it.

Lets face it, leaks happen. With everything I use they can still occur. I remember once when I had a fairly diaper leak when I was having coffee at my favorite coffee shop. I simply spilled my pants and said "sorry...my bad." I have seen people see my leak but nobody said anything. But I'm sure some people wonder.

Reactions: Diprs2 and chuck
I've found that wearing tight clothing over diapers makes leaks significantly more likely.

Reactions: Diprs2, Canadianfalls, PupSpaz and 1 other person
Agreed I wear net fixing pants and padded inco pants over my nappies.

BunnyFofo said:
I've found that wearing tight clothing over diapers makes leaks significantly more likely.
Yes, they do. As the diaper gets wetter it needs to be able to expand. If you compress it tightly with tight fitting pants, compression shorts or regular underwear over them, it will have no room for expansion. This way, it won’t be able to absorb fluids (or absorb fast enough) and a leak will occur. During my early days I wore a pair of net pants and regular underwear over my diapers and got frustrated with all the leaks happening. Since I wear only my jeans over them, I have significantly less leaks, usually when I postpone a change for too long.

Reactions: Diprs2 and PupSpaz
Leaks happen. I do wear dark hiking trousers, when i leak it is barely visible and drys out very fast.

Sometimes of course i leak and absolutely do not realize, when everything is wet, yeah, bingo.

A while back I started noticing a significant uptick in leaks and it was driving me nuts because I didn’t do anything different to cause more leaks.

Finally I figured out that my incontinence had progressed such that I had less ability to predict when I need a change, which seemed to be due to not realizing how wet I am and in general the frequency of wetting has grown erratic.

I essentially had to re-learn how to wear diapers. Up until then I relied on my memory to track how wet I am and extrapolated when I would be due for a change. Instead, I learned to physically check my diaper throughout the day, and I switched to timed diaper changes. As a result leaks have lessened dramatically.

TL;DR- It could be that you’re losing the ability to sense how wet you are.

Reactions: Diprs2 and diapeybabybrian
I wear a onesie over my plastic pants along with a stuffer and that helps prevent leaks at night.

Compressed diapers can't expand easily to absorb moisture... Pee will go the path of least resistance, and if the diaper can't make room to expand and absorb more it'll eventually work it's way through the not so tight (because you don't want to cut off your circulation...) seals around your legs or waist.

To over dramatize the issue / make a mental picture - if you parked a car with it's tire over a dry diaper, it would never be able to lift the car up to make room to absorb more liquid. There's no muscles in the diaper that are magically activated when moisture is added to force more room for the liquid. While compression pants aren't a car... It doesn't have to be, it still stops the diaper from expanding, therefore preventing the diaper from working as well as it could. The same problem happens to the seat of your diaper when you wet while sitting.

I've found a good balance of tight seals around the waist and legs while leaving the absorbent core lose does wonders at preventing leaks. The dry diaper padding hangs between the legs and can move around my crotch, while the belt line is tight and the bottom tapes are angled such that the circles around each leg are kept against the skin.

In regards to ISO absorbency #s, it's not marketing, it's a not-so-helpful industry standard, read more here: https://www.adisc.org/forum/threads/capacity-marketing.164668/post-2118120

Reactions: Diprs2 and kislorodus
greatlake5 said:
That's why we have high capacity ABDL diapers 7 Litres Plus Plastic Pants! :) :giggle::giggle:

Back