What's the cheapest place to buy cloth diapers?

oldpppants

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I bought some snappies just now and discovered how easy cloth ones are to use this way. I want more diapers. Anybody know of a place they don't cost so much?

Reactions: Cottontail
oldpppants said:
I bought some snappies just now and discovered how easy cloth ones are to use this way. I want more diapers. Anybody know of a place they don't cost so much?
Which ones do you current have? "Cheap" is relative. :)

One thing to keep in mind is that Snappis work best with certain fabrics. They're not recommended for gauze/muslin diapers because those fabrics tend to be more easily damaged by the teeth, and they're not recommended for flannel because the tight weave makes it difficult for the teeth to grab. Given that, if your cloth interest hinges on Snappis, I'd suggest either the twill prefolds from Rearz, the organic birdseye prefolds from Adult Cloth Diaper, or the twill or birdseye prefolds from Baby Pants. You'll have the easiest time Snappi-ing twill. Shipping aside, Baby Pants is the least expensive, followed by Rearz, followed by Adult Cloth Diaper. My own preference is for Rearz, though I have diapers from all three, and they're all perfectly functional.

Reactions: sbmccue
Cloth diapers are just ... expensive. However, you can be consoled by the thought that the initial expense will return dividends over a long period of time. I can remember when, years ago, money was tight. My girlfriend and I bought a dozen of the big Curity baby diapers and she sewed two together to make one diaper for me. For what they were, they worked fine ... for a single wetting. When she was tired of changing me every 30 minutes or so, I saved until I had enough to buy a couple of Edley adult prefold diapers at a time. Sooner than you'd believe, there was quite a stack in the hall closet!

Last edited:
Reactions: Cottontail and PadPhilosopher
I'm reminded of the adage, things can be any 2 of 3 attributes: cheap, good, or quick. Pick 2. If you are patient enough to research and source them directly from a low cost labor country, where most of them are made, you might get cheap and good, but research to avoid getting junk and shipping from a faraway place will both ensure it won't be quick. Cheap and quick will get you junk. Good and quick won't be cheap.

It's just how it goes.

Reactions: Cottontail and sbmccue
I get mine from Amazon. They aren’t cheap but If you get one at a time it’s not to bad

• Sad
Reactions: PadPhilosopher
Another question: What about flat cloth diapers as opposed to pre-folds? I notice flats are a little less expensive - are they a lot more trouble?

Reactions: Cottontail and PadPhilosopher
I too get mine from Amazon and yes, they're not cheap. I buy pre-folds and use baby diaper pins because the baby diaper pins pierce the diaper cloth much easier than the big, adult sized safety pins. Snappies are tough on cloth and they never worked well for me.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and Cottontail
oldpppants said:
Another question: What about flat cloth diapers as opposed to pre-folds? I notice flats are a little less expensive - are they a lot more trouble?
They have pros/cons. They can be a little more trouble to put on, but they clean up easily and dry faster than prefolds. Over time they might save you money on laundry, but the lower cost of the diapers themselves is a bit of an illusion, and mostly reflects the fact that they have a lot less fabric in them. That, in turn, means you'll probably be reaching for two at a time in order to achieve the same level of absorbency you'd get with a prefold.

Last edited:
Reactions: sbmccue and PadPhilosopher
I used to just use towels........about as discreet as a freight train, but great for nighttime. I just don't have a washing machine right now, which makes it impractical.

• Haha
Reactions: Cottontail
I’ve had both. Flats wash and dry more quickly, but they require folding to fit. I enjoy being diapered by my SO, who doesn’t want to fold flats. If we use them, I have to fold them first.

If you’re content to put the time and effort into learning how to use them, and you don't mind buying twice the diapers you need, flats will work well.

Last edited:
Reactions: PadPhilosopher and Cottontail
I find the Leakmaster prefolds available on Amazon are very good and cost is reasonable.

• Wow
Reactions: PadPhilosopher
Back