What's the appeal of plastic-backed diapers for you?

IvyDemi

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Little
As a kid, I never knew that plastic-backed diapers existed, and so once I got into the community after becoming older, I was confused as to why people generally seemed to prefer plastic diapers versus cloth-backed.

I already understand that usage/practicality-wise, plastic can contain liquid better than cloth-backed (Alphagatorz taught me that lesson quickly XD). However, I've noticed that people also seem to intrinsically like plastic more, due to the crinkly sound, having used them as a kid, etc. So I'm curious what are y'alls reasons for the type you prefer? Is it just an inbuilt preference, practical standpoint, or nostalgia from being a kid?

For myself, I can see the practical benefits of plastic, but outside of that, I prefer cloth since it makes a smaller rubbing noise instead of a sharper crinkle noise, its softer to the touch, and makes me feel littler, although I don't remember which type I had as a kid to know if it is because of that.
Another thing for me is that as a kid, I always felt I had to be quiet, and so I've just generally developed a fear of making loud noises, which is about the exact opposite of essentially walking with a plastic bag taped on me lol.

What about you though?

Reactions: Wolfman69, Ranma, KBoy and 3 others
Mostly just the crinkle noise for me. But it also helps with smells.

Reactions: TheDideeboy, NorthwestDiaperDude, QTnPLASTIC and 7 others
I like plastic backed for at night. My under pad don't kick out like it does with cloth like. When cloth like 1st came out they did not perform well. They have come a long way. And are fine for day time use. And night if i wear PUL pants over them.

Reactions: soggybottoms8882, Ranma, KBoy and 3 others
Love the crinkle, it's the only appeal of plastic backed diapers for me. But it has to be the right plastic. All of the high capacity diapers don't do it because the plastic is thicker and it sounds like I'm wearing a freaking trash bag. ABU still has my heart as their plastic is closest to the crinkle of the old white 6 tape Attends with waistband. Tykables Little Builders is right up there too.

Reactions: southeastlittle, QTnPLASTIC, soggybottoms8882 and 9 others
I love the crinkle. I love the soft smooth touch of the plastic. I love the durability. The stegth. Just love plastic back diapers wayyyy more

Reactions: NorthwestDiaperDude, QTnPLASTIC, douglasfir77 and 10 others
IvyDemi said:
As a kid, I never knew that plastic-backed diapers existed, and so once I got into the community after becoming older, I was confused as to why people generally seemed to prefer plastic diapers versus cloth-backed.

I already understand that usage/practicality-wise, plastic can contain liquid better than cloth-backed (Alphagatorz taught me that lesson quickly XD). However, I've noticed that people also seem to intrinsically like plastic more, due to the crinkly sound, having used them as a kid, etc. So I'm curious what are y'alls reasons for the type you prefer? Is it just an inbuilt preference, practical standpoint, or nostalgia from being a kid?

For myself, I can see the practical benefits of plastic, but outside of that, I prefer cloth since it makes a smaller rubbing noise instead of a sharper crinkle noise, its softer to the touch, and makes me feel littler, although I don't remember which type I had as a kid to know if it is because of that.
Another thing for me is that as a kid, I always felt I had to be quiet, and so I've just generally developed a fear of making loud noises, which is about the exact opposite of essentially walking with a plastic bag taped on me lol.

What about you though?
I feel is is the thought that someone could know with out me telling them. It is what I had as a child. And I feel that the hold more reliably. I have less leaks with plastic than with cloth like.

Reactions: MegaLugia, KBoy, soggybottoms8882 and 1 other person
Smooth

Reactions: soggybottoms8882, PearlandDL and TrashPanda01
I like both cloth back and plastic backed diapers. But, I use plastic-backed because I feel like it will hold in the smell better and I won’t have to deal with the liquid in my diaper weeping/sweating onto my clothes that might be a risk with cloth-backed diapers.

Reactions: KBoy, Woncrinklz, DBabygirl2 and 3 others
It's what we grew up with
special connections

though I figure in the comming years less & less diapers will be plastic as new abdl will want cloth covering as that's what they grew up on

Reactions: TheDideeboy, DinosaurWalk, MegaLugia and 6 others
I also like both plastic and cloth backed diapers. The main appeal of plastic is the smoothness and crinkles that brings back memories of sweet childhood and some added security against moisture wicking through the diaper shell. Cloth is more appealing when I’m outdoors and active, as I am more prone to chafing when walking around with plastic ones.

Reactions: Andy97, KBoy and TrashPanda01
Like what everyone's saying, it's the smooth touch. Also the crinkles. I'm a 90s kid and was in plastic backed diapers for a grand total of under 3 years. I don't remember wearing any diapers at all, but there's a primal desire for about plastic backed diapers that were ignored until I was I guess 26. Cloth backed ones just don't do it for me. And it's not the fact that they sag and get damp easier than PE ones. It's what I remember seeing when I was a kid. I've seen my aunt changing her son into fresh plastic diapers, and I didn't know why, but I was so intrigued by it and wanted it too. I'm sure she knew, but she didn't give me any hints. There was also a smooth plastic backed diaper at my grandma's house I remember in the dresser of the guest room I slept in that I wanted so bad, but couldn't take because that would've made me a snooper. I went my whole life wanting to be back in diapers, but it was always suppressed and pushed to the back of my mind, never forgotten. So when I saw one, didn't matter what I was doing, my mind would go blank and try to find ways of making it mine. But it never happened for real until I was 25 or 26 when I moved into my 1st place. So happy to have them.

Reactions: TheDideeboy, WillFord384, KBoy and 3 others
SparkyDog said:
It's what we grew up with
special connections

though I figure in the comming years less & less diapers will be plastic as new abdl will want cloth covering as that's what they grew up on
I don't think they'll stop making PE diapers. Rearz has a great selection of plastic backed diapers that sell very well. Imagine what'll happen if there's absolutely none left to choose from. Think of all the ABDLs today that love cloth like exteriors. They have plenty to choose from. Now reverse that and put yourself in the shoes of someone who has only a few PE diapers they can choose from. That'll be really hard. I hope that day you speak of never happens. I better be dead at that point😵

Reactions: Ranma, DiaperedBunny, KBoy and 1 other person
for me plastic-backed diapers i like the way the feel to me i like the plastic-backed diapers better than the cloth backed diaper but i have worn both of them that gust me i don't know about any one else

Reactions: QTnPLASTIC, MegaLugia, KBoy and 1 other person
Definitely interesting to hear the other practical benefits of plastic that people are saying, especially pointing out smell which is something I hadn't really thought of.

theancientmariner said:
Like what everyone's saying, it's the smooth touch. Also the crinkles. I'm a 90s kid and was in plastic backed diapers for a grand total of under 3 years. I don't remember wearing any diapers at all, but there's a primal desire for about plastic backed diapers that were ignored until I was I guess 26. Cloth backed ones just don't do it for me. And it's not the fact that they sag and get damp easier than PE ones. It's what I remember seeing when I was a kid. I've seen my aunt changing her son into fresh plastic diapers, and I didn't know why, but I was so intrigued by it and wanted it too. I'm sure she knew, but she didn't give me any hints. There was also a smooth plastic backed diaper at my grandma's house I remember in the dresser of the guest room I slept in that I wanted so bad, but couldn't take because that would've made me a snooper. I went my whole life wanting to be back in diapers, but it was always suppressed and pushed to the back of my mind, never forgotten. So when I saw one, didn't matter what I was doing, my mind would go blank and try to find ways of making it mine. But it never happened for real until I was 25 or 26 when I moved into my 1st place. So happy to have them.
I can definitely see where you're coming from and it's really interesting to hear your story since its so similar to what happened for me, with the difference being that I was born in the 2000s, and with that, my preference changed based on what I myself grew up around.

Honestly, it is really interesting to hear since its so similar to me and just points out how much what we grow up around affects what we like here.

• Love
Reactions: KBoy, TrashPanda01 and theancientmariner
Cloth prefolds and contours are my go to diapers, but when the logistics of dealing with returning dirty diapers home when away from home is too much I’ll use Abenas, MegaMaxes, or InControl Elites. I’ve had problems with moisture weeping through cloth backed disposables which usually isn’t that much of a problem since I always wear plastic pants over them. As far back as I can remember I’ve had an affinity for plastic pants and I think part of this is the smoothness and the feel of the plastic which is my guess as to why I like them and prefer plastic backed disposables. They’re also better at containing and controlling odors which is a prime consideration for me being as I’m dual incontinent. Now as to why I’ve had this lifelong affinity for plastic pants I have no clue what caused it, but I guess there’s worse attractions that I could have.

Last edited:
Reactions: Puffysoft and KBoy
While I mostly use cloth, when the need arises, disposables are best. And that means the plastic backed ones. Why? Simple: they seem more secure, can withstand the weight of a filling diaper better than non-plastic, and don't seem to suffer from "weeping" (at least that's what I call it). Plus they seem to contain odors better than paperbacked ones. It's a total utility issue for me; one (plastic-backed) is simply better than the other.

Zeke said:
Cloth prefolds and contours are my go to diapers, but when the logistics of dealing with returning dirty diapers home when away from home is too much I’ll use Abenas, MegaMaxes, or InControl Elites. I’ve had problems with moisture weeping through cloth backed disposables which usually isn’t that much of a problem since I always wear plastic pants over them. As far back as I can remember I’ve had an affinity for plastic pants and I think part of this is the smoothness and the feel of the plastic which is my guess as to why I like them and prefer plastic backed disposables. They’re also better at containing and controlling odors which is a prime consideration for me being as I’m dual incontinent. Now as to why I’ve had this lifelong affinity for plastic pants I have no clue what caused it, but I guess there’s worse attractions that I could have.
Yes, exactly. There's worse things we could've gotten into, like drugs. It's seriously some miracle I never did hard drugs in my teens. They were all around me in my neighborhood. All I did was smoke weed and later got into drinking, but never anything hard.

Reactions: KBoy, PlastiBrain and Zeke
Plastic backed Disposables have worked best for me after trial and error.
An all white, plastic disposable just feels like a true diaper should feel like, protection wise and fit.

Reactions: ShinyMichael, MegaLugia, Deleted member 39193 and 3 others
like others I like the feel, look, capacity. There is one I have not seen anyone mention is that they don't feel as cold when wet. Which can be a problem if it is hot outside.

Reactions: KBoy, CoastieKate and wiliawi
For me the crinkling noise. I buy cloth backed here so always wear plastic pants. I find with cloth you can smell urine eaiser.

Reactions: ShinyMichael and KBoy
Back