What is the best beach you have been to in the US?

landingxray

Est. Contributor
What is the best beach in the US in terms of how clear the water is, the locals, the crowd?

Holly Beach in Louisiana … great view of the Gulf, not many folks around, and miles of sand.
The water is not very clear, but at the time I did not care - it was a nice beach for shell collecting.

I haven’t seen many clear water beaches in the US. My parents say the Florida Gulf. I’ve seen decently clear water in Biloxi. One of my favorite beaches in near York, ME & Newport, RI.

Old Orchard Bead in Maine is great, cool water, fine sand, and nice shop fronts.

Reactions: landingxray and hanbanan
Beowulf said:
Old Orchard Bead in Maine is great, cool water, fine sand, and nice shop fronts.
I love Old Orchard Beach, but .... too cold to get in and can only enjoy about 2 1/2 months a year. I would go do Hilton Head. Long sandy beaches and plenty of Sand Dollars.

Reactions: landingxray
Ft Myers and Sanibel Island are nice, but the water isn't really clear in Florida until you get the Keys. Crystal clear water in the Keys, but the beaches aren't as nice as the gulf side beaches farther north.

Reactions: RedPandaDL
Manzanita, OR.

Recently my brother was flirting with an idea of a beach vacation to which I replied I don't think I would enjoy South FL, Cali, or Hawaii. If I wanted the sandy beaches I would go out of the USA. Turks and Caicos would be nice.

The idea of riding a motorcycle from Galveston, TX to Key West really intrigues me.

I have been to the following beaches in the u.s;
Florida
Panama city beach
Pensacola beach
Fort Walton beach
Mexico beach
Port Saint Joe
Daytona beach
Ormond beach
Flagler beach

Alabama
Orange Beach

Georgia
Savannah/Tybee island
Jekyll island

North Carolina
Wrightsville beach

The best ones in Florida (to me) were mexico beach/port Saint Joe, there is not a lot of people or touristie crap there just nice beaches with reasonable accommodations. The other Florida beach I really liked was Flagler, I don't remember a whole lot about it other than we camped there several times and you could walk from the campground to the ocean no problem and it wasn't very crowded either

Same with orange Beach in Alabama, it's in a mostly residential area and not crowded or touristie at all, I went to do the battleship/ submarine tour in mobile and wound up at the beach afterwards.

Wrightsville beach in north Carolina has to be my second favorite, it too is nestled in a mostly residential area but there are a few excellent restaurants tucked away here and there and the blockade runner is an excellent hotel. This was another accidental find when I was touring the battleship in nearby Wilmington. Would 100% recommend and will go back.

My absolute favorite has to be Tybee island, there just isn't a lot there and the beach seems to go on forever, it can get a bit crowded down around the boardwalk and hotel Tybee area but down by the lighthouse there is nothing but beach and water and you can watch the huge container ships glide in and out of the savannah river. And if the weather won't cooperate for a beach day there is plenty to do in nearby savannah, a very old town very rich with early American history I recommend the maritime museum it's a cheap and fun thing to do and if you get thirsty you can run across town to the pirate house (oldest building in GA supposedly) and order up the captains artillery... Just don't try the historical stairs across bay street afterwards!

Surf City in NC has the best waves!

Back