What if diaper lovers became mainstream?

Fraggle

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
For many, it's the humiliation and embarrassment of wearing diapers that get them excited. If it was mainstream and common, it might detract from that. However, within the kink community, it has definitely become more mainstream.

Imagine if diapers became a popular staple in our world, a place where the newest diapers had your favorite artists name written all over it. Would you still embrace the culture? Would you support the artist knowing that they would only be into it to profit themselves?

Reactions: ChristianDiaperLover, Lyric and DBabygirl2
I wouldn't, capitalism is bad enough, and diapers are already expensive. I cant imagine how expensive they'd be if a star would wear.

Also, I don't see it hapenning, I know this, being an DL, is a kink, there are so many other kinks Out there.

Reactions: Prairie, SD79, DBabygirl2 and 1 other person
Fraggle said:
For many, it's the humiliation and embarrassment of wearing diapers that get them excited. If it was mainstream and common, it might detract from that.
I don't know. Being transgender has absolutely become mainstream in the public eye, yet plenty of people still enjoy "sissy" kinks for humiliation reasons. Gender bending being more normalized doesn't seem to stop the humiliation factor at all in the realm of fantasy.

Fraggle said:
Imagine if diapers became a popular staple in our world, a place where the newest diapers had your favorite artists name written all over it. Would you still embrace the culture? Would you support the artist knowing that they would only be into it to profit themselves?
Sure. I wouldn't pay inflated prices probably. I might for some brand deals. People already commission cloth diapers with their favorite cartoon characters on them. I wouldn't pay a huge upcharge though, and since I'd probably have to import ones for anime characters / themes more mainstream than Pokemon or Sailor Moon (even that one might be iffy) I'd probably never indulge.

I enjoy supporting companies that do it "for the community" but I would not have any problems buying from a non-ABDL vendor right now as things stand. I don't wanna get upcharged but a good diaper is a good diaper. I don't really care who made it unless there's some active harm in funding it.

littledinogoesrawr said:
I wouldn't, capitalism is bad enough, and diapers are already expensive. I cant imagine how expensive they'd be if a star would wear.
Eh. The existence of techwear hasn't slowed down fast fashion. If it got more mainstream there'd probably be companies making trendy ABDL diapers that are super cheap too. That comes with it's own problems of course but it doesn't be all more expensive.

littledinogoesrawr said:
Also, I don't see it hapenning, I know this, being an DL, is a kink, there are so many other kinks Out there.
Also, yeah. Agreed. BDSM stuff is all in pop culture but it's not "mainstream." Assuming really any strong level of mainstream artist or "star" involvement outside of rare cases and, like, music video outfits isn't really something I see happening at all.

Reactions: Fraggle
It would be better if wearing nappies was just accepted by society. It doesn't have to be mainstream or the standard. Some of the attraction is that it is a taboo just like the thousand and one other kinks. The majority of wearers have no choice and could definitely do without the predudice and sniggering from the so called normal balanced society. It would only be acceptable or mainstream if there was such a worldwide water shortage that meant that the whole system of sewage treatment and toilets was no longer possible. Not to mention 100% recyclable diapers/nappies.
Just a thought....

Reactions: Seabear, BabyLink9, Fraggle and 1 other person
Right now as we sit ABDL has come a long way in just a few short years. DL going mainstream could also mean the ruin of what exists today.
I say leave it as it is and let ABDL continue it's slow growth and let the companies that have put forth the time and effort to reap their rewards.
Going mainstream could only lead to going down hill after the initial climb to the top.

Reactions: DBabygirl2 and Fraggle
It's starting to go a bit more mainstream in terms of people's awareness of our existenceand awareness of what it actually is (and what it is not). We've done a lot of work over the past year increasing the profile of the community with Recon (we facilitated the launch of the ABDL interest tab) and I've just loaded out of Darklands (one of Europe's biggest fetish events) where we have hosted an ABDL play area and other bits to give our community a space to be and engage with new people (so many people wanted to try diapers and many leather daddies wanted to adopt littles)

Attachments

• IMG-20230309-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20230309-WA0000.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 57
  • PXL_20230312_104728584~2.jpg
    PXL_20230312_104728584~2.jpg
    577.4 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: Diaperluver10, Prillprillprill, Subtlerustle and 3 others
Fraggle said:
For many, it's the humiliation and embarrassment of wearing diapers that get them excited. If it was mainstream and common, it might detract from that. However, within the kink community, it has definitely become more mainstream.

Interesting. Lol I think it would be cool if the abdl or dL stigma disappeared. However, I can’t see myself buying into my favorite artist printed diapers. Idk if they would look babyish enough for me. That’s just my preference.

Reactions: PaddedRita, diaperdude, Lyric and 1 other person
I don't understand a **LOT** of people who continue to say that those who wear diapers are constantly snickered at, made fun of (likely behind their back but likely audible enough for the wearer to recognize) because I have never found that to be the case. I've had to wear for almost 20 years with worsening issues the older I get. I've never had anyone make "fun" of me, never had anyone snicker as I walked by, never heard any comments from bemused people in the crowd etc.
I believe projecting confidence is 2nd only to dressing appropriately seriously. Besides, IF someone wanted to go out of their way to harass me, I would gladly take on the *challenge*.
I also am in a situation where the majority of people I am friends with (as well as my family, medical professionals etc. etc.) already are well aware of the issues I live with and that includes diapers. It's never been an issue. The only person who ever makes fun of me is me although being able to laugh at yourself is indeed a huge benefit when life throws you 30 balls that hit the dirt in front of the plate but were called strikes anyway. IF I took everything as serious as I did when these issues were brand new to me I wouldn't be here to write this today. Just picture your well above average build on a power-lifter (5'7" @ 232lbs LEAN) wearing diapers. I found that to be funny, in time, although within 6 months the once awesome looking build had an extra 50lbs on it thanks to medications and as hard as I try has remained my median weight...lighter in the summer when I am able to be more active, heavier in the winter when I wind up stuck in bed far more than I'd wish on anyone else.
I know the majority who are concerned about what others think are AB-DL and not incontinent but IF you could think along the lines of this being your life and the alternative being dead, you really would be surprised at how quickly you learn to live with the cards you'd been dealt . I am certainly NOT saying be alright with it, as I'd give anything I own to have "life as I knew it" prior to Jan 2004. With that being said I still am quite able to find ways to enjoy being alive leaving me two choices. The 1st is to worry about what everyone *might* say about me, *think* of me etc. and become a recluse OR refuse to allow ANYONE to dictate how I live my life to me on ANY front, go out, enjoy myself and be my confident old self regardless.
To me it all comes down to being comfortable in your own skin. I know a LOT of people lack confidence and I can not understand that way of thinking or living. BE CONFIDENT in yourself.
As a long time coach of kids (aged 5-19 and everywhere in between) as a football & wrestling coach, one of the tools I've used a LOT to kids who don't yet have that "cockiness" in themselves is to make them understand that IF they don't believe in themselves, NO ONE ELSE EVER WILL!
Sure, there's no such thing as an overnight "fix", but once you recognize a problem, admit to it, learn about it and how to fix it, you're on your way to being a much more comfortable person and this is one lesson that applies to pretty much every aspect of life I can imagine.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: diaperedwetter, wetnappyjon, Diaperman95 and 4 others
loadedpamperman said:
I don't understand a **LOT** of people who continue to say that those who wear diapers are constantly snickered at, made fun of (likely behind their back but likely audible enough for the wearer to recognize) because I have never found that to be the case. I've had to wear for almost 20 years with worsening issues the older I get. I've never had anyone make "fun" of me, never had anyone snicker as I walked by, never heard any comments from bemused people in the crowd etc.
I believe projecting confidence is 2nd only to dressing appropriately seriously. Besides, IF someone wanted to go out of their way to harass me, I would gladly take on the *challenge*.
I also am in a situation where the majority of people I am friends with (as well as my family, medical professionals etc. etc.) already are well aware of the issues I live with and that includes diapers. It's never been an issue. The only person who ever makes fun of me is me although being able to laugh at yourself is indeed a huge benefit when life throws you 30 balls that hit the dirt in front of the plate but were called strikes anyway. IF I took everything as serious as I did when these issues were brand new to me I wouldn't be here to write this today. Just picture your well above average build on a power-lifter (5'7" @ 232lbs LEAN) wearing diapers. I found that to be funny, in time, although within 6 months the once awesome looking build had an extra 50lbs on it thanks to medications and as hard as I try has remained my median weight...lighter in the summer when I am able to be more active, heavier in the winter when I wind up stuck in bed far more than I'd wish on anyone else.
I know the majority who are concerned about what others think are AB-DL and not incontinent but IF you could think along the lines of this being your life and the alternative being dead, you really would be surprised at how quickly you learn to live with the cards you'd been dealt . I am certainly NOT saying be alright with it, as I'd give anything I own to have "life as I knew it" prior to Jan 2004. With that being said I still am quite able to find ways to enjoy being alive leaving me two choices. The 1st is to worry about what everyone *might* say about me, *think* of me etc. and become a recluse OR refuse to allow ANYONE to dictate how I live my life to me on ANY front, go out, enjoy myself and be my confident old self regardless.
To me it all comes down to being comfortable in your own skin. I know a LOT of people lack confidence and I can not understand that way of thinking or living. BE CONFIDENT in yourself.
As a long time coach of kids (aged 5-19 and everywhere in between) as a football & wrestling coach, one of the tools I've used a LOT to kids who don't yet have that "cockiness" in themselves is to make them understand that IF they don't believe in themselves, NO ONE ELSE EVER WILL!
Sure, there's no such thing as an overnight "fix", but once you recognize a problem, admit to it, learn about it and how to fix it, you're on your way to being a much more comfortable person and this is one lesson that applies to pretty much every aspect of life I can imagine.
Very wise words, I fully agree and thank you for sharing your story.

Reactions: CptKirk
I think wearing for non kink reasons have become mainstreamed. Go look on vanilla places and you will see a talk about diapers sometimes. You will even come across vanilla articles on vanilla websites about people using diapers. People still making fun of it still shows diapers are still stigmatized and medical issues along with bodily functions.

Reactions: diaperdude and Fraggle
ABUMichaelUK said:
It's starting to go a bit more mainstream in terms of people's awareness of our existenceand awareness of what it actually is (and what it is not). We've done a lot of work over the past year increasing the profile of the community with Recon (we facilitated the launch of the ABDL interest tab) and I've just loaded out of Darklands (one of Europe's biggest fetish events) where we have hosted an ABDL play area and other bits to give our community a space to be and engage with new people (so many people wanted to try diapers and many leather daddies wanted to adopt littles)
That's cool, how much ABDL representation is there at this event? Is it like a fringe thing, or are there loads of people wearing?

If ABDLs become more mainstream, I really hope that there are more diaper stores. Though, I doubt it would happen that fast given that we're known as a fetish group to most people.

Reactions: diaperdude
No matter what direction being AB/DL goes, I'll always want to be in diapers. I definitely would have no interest in celebrity diapers. I want mine to look like baby diapers.

Reactions: lilbabyjooce
Hammerite said:
That's cool, how much ABDL representation is there at this event? Is it like a fringe thing, or are there loads of people wearing?

It started a little slowly on the Friday and once people realised it was ok it built to several dozen on the Sunday, more when you look at those who mixed diapers with other things. Loads of people came and told us they were into diapers and we also got quite a few wanting to try them.

Reactions: Diaperluver10, dogboy and Subtlerustle
ABUMichaelUK said:
It started a little slowly on the Friday and once people realised it was ok it built to several dozen on the Sunday, more when you look at those who mixed diapers with other things. Loads of people came and told us they were into diapers and we also got quite a few wanting to try them.
That's really great! I feel like I would enjoy going to an event like that, but unfortunately I think I am too timid to go on my own.

If someone has incontinence type issues, than yes, I'm fine with mainstream acceptance.
But if people just want to prance around, and be show offs, then I call it insulting to those who need diapers.

ABUMichaelUK said:
I’m glad to hear people are coming out of the woodwork. Since this is such a private thing our best hope is companies like yours are super successful and IPO one day. That way you’ll have to report your sales and the rest of the world will get an idea of how big ABDL really is! 😂

Hammerite said:
That's really great! I feel like I would enjoy going to an event like that, but unfortunately I think I am too timid to go on my own.
Darklands is a very welcoming and inclusive event, you'd definitely find some friends pretty quick!

Reactions: Subtlerustle
12srepaid said:
If someone has incontinence type issues, than yes, I'm fine with mainstream acceptance.
But if people just want to prance around, and be show offs, then I call it insulting to those who need diapers.
I couldn't agree more. If you read my response a few posts up (^^^) you'll see where I mention that the only thing more important than confidence is dressing appropriately. ANYONE (almost certainly they have fetish and not IC issues) who prances around with a MASSIVE (or exposed) diaper is not only BEGGING to be humiliated, but is painting EVERYONE ELSE who wears diapers (either out of need or desire) with a shit covered brush. Seems like everytime I think society (in general) is heading in the right direction someone goes out and wrecks any progress that's been made by making a news story or something along those lines that involves an adult in a diaper.

There's ZERO excuse for FORCING any fetish on anyone else in the general public. IF you want to dress that "LOUD" go for a hike to the middle of nowhere or find a fetish club where you'll still stand out like a sore thumb. The community simply doesn't need any bad press. Most of us have enough to deal with in life the way it is.

Reactions: DBabygirl2, 12srepaid and SD79
littledinogoesrawr said:

Economy of scale would actually probably benefit us price-wise. Tykables/Rearz/ABU etc. are expensive because they suit a very niche demographic that is willing to pay for that product. If a company was able to make a product like BetterDry at a tremendous volume and distribute them very effectively, you could probably have a $1/unit cost on a pretty high end product. Most of the unit cost comes down to overhead and shipping, so domestic production and direct to consumer sales would likely be the best way to do that. Unfortunately because we have a large segment of the market that demands low quality “discreet” products/products that can be marked up for institutional use, and another segment largely demands very high end, quite honestly, over engineered products at any price, the middle ground of a cost effective but relatively inexpensive product is unfortunately largely overlooked, but I don’t think that will always be the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: YakuiAndOzoi
Back