What do you guys do with filthy (bagged) diapers?

LittleIcePrince

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Other
Odd question but I found a pretty good deal on a case of diapers that I bought yesterday. To put it nicely the guy I bought them from was living rough and I didn’t really closely examine the bags when I bought them. In the image provided, they looked brand new but I think he probably had them exposed to the elements for a month or more and the bags are very dirty several od them have punctures, but cracking one open, the diapers inside look ok. I think I’m being a little overly paranoid personally but I’d like to get somebody else’s opinion. I was thinking of giving them all a wipe down with disinfectant and letting them sit for a while in the crawl space to kill anything that might be on there, otherwise maybe just opening the whole case and keeping them in a tote or something. Any ideas?

Garbage can.

Nowididit said:
Garbage can.
thanks for your response. What would be your primary concern that would make them unsafe, or is it a more general concern?

Even if the backsheet looks clean, I would unfold a diaper or two and look at the padding inside. If it looks or smells gross, or if you can tell that the diapers may have broken down a bit in the heat or something, I wouldn't put one on. I personally want to enjoy what I'm wearing, and I'd have a hard time doing that if I can question whether or not there's something icky rubbing off on me. It would be like putting on underwear that I had somehow left outside for a few weeks.

Any sign of mold or bugs anywhere is an immediate no-go for the whole bag/case, IMO. How were these things being stored?

Reactions: Cottontail
ArgentBuffalo said:
Even if the backsheet looks clean, I would unfold a diaper or two and look at the padding inside. If it looks or smells gross, or if you can tell that the diapers may have broken down a bit in the heat or something, I wouldn't put one on. I personally want to enjoy what I'm wearing, and I'd have a hard time doing that if I can question whether or not there's something icky rubbing off on me. It would be like putting on underwear that I had somehow left outside for a few weeks.

Any sign of mold or bugs anywhere is an immediate no-go for the whole bag/case, IMO. How were these things being stored?
I’m not sure. If I absolutely had to guess, I would say that they probably were put into a storage unit at some point (it took him a while to retrieve them despite meeting me close to his spot), possibly stashed in a bush or something at some point as well. The packs themselves were dirty and looked worn, but I have opened all but 2 packs- a couple have clear signs of a little dust, coming through, even some flecks of leaves or bark and the diapers at the end of one pack seemed to have a bit of ash or charcoal on them. The gentleman was transporting them with a cart so I imagine the same cart was used for transporting wood and stuff. I’ve opened all but 2 packs and they all look clean and I don’t smell anything other than a chemical diaper-y smell. Right now I’m just looking for a good reason not to trust them. I’ve bought some slightly iffy looking packs at the thrift store before and they were fine, but this is right on the line where I would question them.

The recent weather has been cold and dry and the original listing was from December, so I’m not too worried about whether they were exposed to moisture or heat.

Last edited:
I’m going to toss any that were punctured. This is the condition of the rest. The more I look at them, the more I think that I’m just being ridiculous.

Attachments

• DCE25218-110B-4948-A223-58F75C96B5F3.png
    DCE25218-110B-4948-A223-58F75C96B5F3.png
    271.5 KB · Views: 32
  • CBFF4628-E7E4-434E-A09F-6C4FFC264458.png
    CBFF4628-E7E4-434E-A09F-6C4FFC264458.png
    320.2 KB · Views: 31
Well, overall it sounds like even if they've come to you via a funny (albeit sketchy) route, they look fine. I would say don't worry about it and enjoy them.

ArgentBuffalo said:
Well, overall it sounds like even if they've come to you via a funny (albeit sketchy) route, they look fine. I would say don't worry about it and enjoy them.
Yeah. I’ve had some interesting experiences buying diapers on Craigslist before, but that was a first 🤣

Thanks friend.

Reactions: ArgentBuffalo
I remember buying a a pair of padded plastic pants on Ebay many years ago. I got them out of the packaging when they arrived and smelled of cigarette smoke. They didnt look used or yellow and the description said they were new and unused. The smoky smell I just couldnt put on a pair knowing that smell was from some guys breath and cigarettes. I also thought perhaps washing them could help but they still smelled a little. They were probably stored in a smokers closet in his house. So that was a no go for me. I didnt keep them I just couldnt put them on.

MikeDJ said:
I remember buying a a pair of padded plastic pants on Ebay many years ago. I got them out of the packaging when they arrived and smelled of cigarette smoke. They didnt look used or yellow and the description said they were new and unused. The smoky smell I just couldnt put on a pair knowing that smell was from some guys breath and cigarettes. I also thought perhaps washing them could help but they still smelled a little. They were probably stored in a smokers closet in his house. So that was a no go for me. I didnt keep them I just couldnt put them on.
Yeah, cigarette smoke would be a no go for me too. Even if there was no chance of harm, that smell makes me feel sick. I like the smell of cigar and pipe tobacco, old cigarette smoke is 🤢

Fold them place then in plastic grocery sack then place them in bigger trash can until gradage pickup day .

call The company you bought them from explain the situation to get a refund or more product and then dispose of them

LittleIcePrince said:
thanks for your response. What would be your primary concern that would make them unsafe, or is it a more general concern?
Honestly I didn't read your entire post and I assumed you meant dirty, as in used, bagged diapers.
I have never bought old dusty bags od diapers before and probably never will.
Sorry can't help you here.

The only experience I really have like that was getting a bag of vintage Huggies Size 6 that absolutely reeked of cigarette smoke. Oh well. Still happy I have them.

Nowididit said:
Honestly I didn't read your entire post and I assumed you meant dirty, as in used, bagged diapers.
I have never bought old dusty bags od diapers before and probably never will.
Sorry can't help you here.
Oh no way. If I found them used, I’d have called the guy and demanded my money back, and there would be no doubt that they go in the trash. Like I said, I’m just going to throw away the ones that were punctured and keep the rest. It was $40 for the lot, about 100 altogether. I won’t make the mistake again but I think I got lucky this time around.

Back