Wetting and not remembering

nikthewerelion said:
at this point, it’s been six or seven years since I’ve been back in Diapers 24/7., I’m only now coming to realize that I would consider myself functionally incontinent. I have to pee 15 to 20 times a day, three or four at night. I have leaks sometimes. And I am so used to using my diaper that I often times wet and even though I’m aware that I’m doing it, a few hours later, I’m often times wondering if I had already wet myself and need to check the diaper to see if it’s wet and then I don’t remember doing it. I think it becomes second nature once you’re so used to using diapers . Like other people have said.
This is very interesting as it is very possible that the technology of modern disposable diapers are designed to quickly move the moisture away from the body. Whereas, cloth diapers distribute, but, one is still left with a wet feeling. Point being, it may likely be a combination of not feeling as wet and not remembering.

Reactions: Diprs2, Jorelaxed and Angelapinks
When I'm awake I always know. And I always remember. Mainly because I don't like leaks. I'm a teacher and having a leak, it's hard to disguise the wet spot (I use black colored or other dark pants and a sports jacket). I'm always aware. Never "outed."

Reactions: Diprs2, Angelapinks, Edgewater and 1 other person
I am fully IC after a spinal injury and wake up wet every morning. I will not have had any feeling or memory of wetting at night only that I have a wet nappy (but a dry bed!) When awake I only know I am weeing when I can feel my nappy getting wet. I check and change regularly during the day to avoid leaks.

Reactions: Diprs2, Angelapinks and Edgewater
Also being ic (u) I go to bed and often wet before sleeping and will be seriously saturated once I wake in the morning with no awareness of further wettings.
Daytime I am fully aware of every time my bladder lets go although I must keep a mental note of how many times this happens as the disposables rarely feel wet on my skin and will leak on the fourth wetting.

Reactions: GoodnitesXL21, Diprs2, Angelapinks and 2 others
I may not always know when I'm leaking, but I always know that my diaper is getting wetter. Hard to forget that... "Woah, someone peed in my diaper when I wasn't looking!!?!

• Haha
Reactions: GoodnitesXL21, Diprs2, Angelapinks and 2 others
Danielgartin691993 said:
It’s neurogenic bladder and I can not predict when I’ll have an accident.
I went to an urgent care center that diagnosed me with OAB (overactive bladder) when I arrived there in slacks soaked in pee. They gave me a prescription for Ditropan (Oxybutynin tablets). My nursing home continues giving me Ditropan. At one time I tried to sleep all night staying in bed regardless of whether I peed or not. My nursing home doesn't provide bedwetting diapers. The Prevail diapers they do provide leak when I am on my side. About a week ago, I decided I would get out of bed to pee in my diaper. That worked just fine for almost a week. Then surprise! I awakened in the morning after having peed in my sleep. That's a symptom shared with others who have OAB. My nursing home hasn't brought to my attention anything to try. I'm content to leave this situation as it is. Looking at the posts here, there is little or no mention of whether the poster is diapered up or not. For most posts, I would say the action that's needed is to diaper up.

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater, Angelapinks and 1 other person
Napincolove said:
Also being ic (u) I go to bed and often wet before sleeping and will be seriously saturated once I wake in the morning with no awareness of further wettings. Daytime I am fully aware of every time my bladder lets go although I must keep a mental note of how many times this happens as the disposables rarely feel wet on my skin and will leak on the fourth wetting.
With my OAB (overactive bladder), my practice is to get out of bed before peeing because if I wet while in bed, the Prevail diapers provided by my nursing home will leak regardless of whether I am awake or sleeping. I conclude from what you wrote that you usually wet several times in your sleep. I may or may not wet in my sleep. If I do wet, it's probably once. In that case, an Aide will change the bed pad if my bed was made with a bed pad and change the linens, if necessary. The Prevail diapers also hold up to three wettings. This brand of diapers also swells up to contain the wettings. The bulge from three wettings is so large that I rarely wait for the third wetting before changing my diaper.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
lilshelly said:
I am functionally incontinent I still can go to the bathroom when I am at home. I have issues when I go out or don't have quick access to the bathroom.
I know when I have to go and I can feel myself go but there are times when I can't remember going until I check myself. Is this common even if you are aware that you wet?
Sounds like urge IC. I have this when I go outside too. Once I realize I have to go I have to do it fast or my bladder will just start emptying on its own. And I often dont know Ive wet til I check down there. Because Ive had a few accidents I usually wear pullups for this when I go out.

Reactions: Bertie63, diaperdude, Diprs2 and 3 others
SeniorMan said:
I'm grateful for being able to take Ditropan XL (oxybutynin tablets) because it reduces frequent urination. Even though I am diapered up 24/7, I have decreased the number of diaper changes by sometimes using the potty.
Oxybutynin didn't work for me, and catheter usage didn't work either

Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
lilshelly said:
I am functionally incontinent I still can go to the bathroom when I am at home. I have issues when I go out or don't have quick access to the bathroom.
I know when I have to go and I can feel myself go but there are times when I can't remember going until I check myself. Is this common even if you are aware that you wet?
i think it is very much. you get wrapped up in something you are doing or with what is going on around you a long with easy reliability on your diaper it is not on your mind. diapers allow for an amazing sense of freedom no worries. there are many times i am clueless to how wet i am. for me my diaper is doing its job keeping me active without stress

Reactions: GoodnitesXL21, Diprs2, Dry247 and 2 others
lilshelly said:
I was warned that my day diapers were for emergencies and not convenience. I disregarded the warning because I was lazy. One day I discovered I was wet but didn't know when I had the "accident". I had lost my potty training.

• Wow
Reactions: GoodnitesXL21, Danielgartin691993, Diprs2 and 2 others
tiron101 said:
After a while doing anything repeatedly that isn't significant your brain can actually stop storing memories of doing it even though you may be aware of it at the time. There are different factors that may contribute to that such as what you're paying attention to and how much attention you divert to, for example, having an accident. Over time of wearing regularly I've realized I remember very few of the actual accidents, and barely notice being wet unless it's very wet.

My accidents vary quite a bit. Sometimes I get 2-3 warnings with minor urge incontinence/slight wetness, then the final one is a complete bladder release. Others it seems my bladder just opens up and I have an accident and feel the wetness. Today I had an odd one where I had an accident and then afterwards I got a weird cramping feeling around the bladder area making my abdominal muscles tense up, after wetting. I remembered that. But I don't remember wetting every time today.
Yes to the repetition making things forgettable! Stuff that happens routinely isn't noteworthy after a while. "Did I remember to lock the door?" 50 miles into a vacation is a classic for a reason.
While most of my incontinence concerns involve keeping the bed dry overnight, I can and do get up to use the toilet as well. I can usually pee some more while in the bathroom, but I couldn't say how many times I've peed in the diaper while asleep, even though sometimes I'm dimly aware of it.

Reactions: Diprs2, Angelapinks and Edgewater
CrossfireDiaperHurricane said:
When I'm awake I always know. And I always remember. Mainly because I don't like leaks. I'm a teacher and having a leak, it's hard to disguise the wet spot (I use black colored or other dark pants and a sports jacket). I'm always aware. Never "outed."
There's a reason most of my pants are black jeans! And I leave button-up shirts untucked in casual circumstances, so the shirt tails hang down.

Reactions: Diprs2, Angelapinks, Dry247 and 2 others
I have urge incontinence as diagnose by doc's, ok during the day as long as I can get to toilet quick, other wise I have an accident. night time I just wet but have no memory of it and do not wake up at all.

Reactions: sport1, Edgewater and diaperdude
paul484819 said:
I have urge incontinence as diagnose by doc's, ok during the day as long as I can get to toilet quick, other wise I have an accident. night time I just wet but have no memory of it and do not wake up at all.
Same, good thing I wear a diaper at night a wet diaper feels good compared to a wet bed

Reactions: GoodnitesXL21, Edgewater, diaperdude and 3 others
Danielgartin691993 said:
Same, good thing I wear a diaper at night a wet diaper feels good compared to a wet bed
Yea I wear diapers night time and pull up day time.

Reactions: Edgewater, diaperdude, Angelapinks and 1 other person
It’s common not to remember having wet yourself. At night your normally in a deep REM state. It might wake you up but most wake up wet with no memory of it.

When my IC started during the day as well. I had the same experience as most. As long as a bathroom was near I was ok. Then like some switch I started feeling wet with no memory.

One doctor said due to my overactive bladder and damage during a kidney stone surgery. It was normal to hear. It bothers me still after all these years but I just deal with it.

It’s a very common thing and most doctors either forget or just don’t bother to explain this to their patients. I really at first got freaked out by it then mad then embarrassed. Now I just accept it’s gonna happen and wear appropriate daipers and daiper covers especially when traveling or on business.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2
paul484819 said:
Yea I wear diapers night time and pull up day time.
I rarely wet during the day unless it's first thing in the morning

Reactions: Edgewater and Diprs2
Danielgartin691993 said:
Especially when the "wet bed" becomes a "cold wet bed"!!!

Reactions: Edgewater, Rusher and Diprs2
Danielgartin691993 said:
I rarely wet during the day unless it's first thing in the morning
By the time I'm in bed trying to sleep, I'm better hydrated than I am in the morning, so I need to pee more often. Frustrating for me because, while awake I will try to get to the bathroom in time. My bladder likes to wait until the door is closed, the light is on, and I'm *just* about to lift the toilet lid - then, it's too late.

Reactions: Edgewater and Diprs2
Back