Were nappies around in 1997?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was born in 88 and my mom preferred cloth at that point but once my siblings came along (circa 94) it was disposables

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and Deleted member 53140
I always say: there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. So let's hope my answer doesn't fall into that category...

Short answer. Yes, they were basically the default by then. To be honest with you, I thought disposables were the only type in existence.

I did later learned that my mum would sew me cloth diapers to wear when I was a(n actual) baby. The way I found out, was she had repurposed them into tea towels. That was both really disturbing and really cool at the same time. (My parents didn't have much money when I was young, so they had to cut corners somehow. And my mum has always been very good at crafting stuff when needed)

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
No, no baby or adult diapers where available in 1997, everyone went around pissing and shitting in their pants untill 1998 when diapers where first evented, thats when adults first learned the joys of wearing diapers long before baby diapers came about.
Thats my story and Im sticking to it.

• Haha
I was born in 1999

I first wore adult disposable nappies to bed when I was 15 back in 1978 so they were available then, I have no idea the make but they were blue and from memory had a shiny feel to the outside.

I started using the original style of goodnites in 96

96/97' is notorious IMHO because that's when cloth backed diapers became a thing. Four years later and plastic was gone.

Reactions: Deleted member 53140 and BobbiSueEllen
I was diapered in cloth back in the early 70's, in the early 80's my cousin was using plastic disposables. I'll never forget the Pampers scent filling my room when he slept in his crib next to me. His parents were moving to Mexico for a year, and when they were looking for accommodations he stayed with us.

BabyTweetyBird said:
1992 was the first year for the 6-tab design and waistband.

View attachment 54585

Attends from that era also featured light blue lining in the middle of the sposie.

The more crinklier and bulkier they get, much better for many of us! :love::giggle:
And they were ultra-cuddly super-soft, too! Just like Pampers, their little sibling. I miss 'em, no thanks to PaperPak and Domtar. :mad:

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 56273
I was born in 1976 and was in disposables (Mostly Pampers) until about 1984.
We went on a school fieldtrip for a week in 1987 (I was 11 then) and I was
skinny enough to securely fit the largest Pampers available back then, but
one classmate who was also a bedwetter and whom I shared a room with
because we both still wet the bed, he was in Attends at the time.
I remember them being super thick and crinkly and they showed from a mile
away under his PJs.
80's PJs were cut pretty slim and had a tight fit, so anything other than regular
underpants would show under those PJ bottoms and the Attends he
wore could not be overlooked. Or overheard for that matter.

Reactions: AJFan2020, bobbilly and BobbiSueEllen
Fluffydoves said:
Cloth or plastic backed?
There's a debate about the transition from plastic to cloth.

Major diaper manufacturers claim that plastic caused rash on baby's delicate skin, hence the decision to use a more skin-friendly material such as cloth. Plastic is also very pollutive for the environment.

BobbiSueEllen said:
I miss 'em, no thanks to PaperPak and Domtar. :mad:

PaperPak and Domtar ruined the brand.

I believe American Industrial Partners would make things much worse.

BabyTweetyBird said:
There's a debate about the transition from plastic to cloth.

Major diaper manufacturers claim that plastic caused rash on baby's delicate skin, hence the decision to use a more skin-friendly material such as cloth. Plastic is also very pollutive for the environment.
The diapers are still plastic, with a thinner outer sheet over which a nonwoven rayon layer is adhered for the cloth effect. But the bigger damage is inside: non-biodegradable SAP. Scientists in India recently came up with a biodegradable version of SAP...just a matter of time until we find out if its manufacture can meet up with demand. Once that happens, disposable diaper recyclability can be realized again. 🥳

BobbiSueEllen said:
The diapers are still plastic, with a thinner outer sheet over which a nonwoven rayon layer is adhered for the cloth effect.
The "cloth" covers can be easily peeled off to reveal the plastic which is hidden beneath.

BobbiSueEllen said:
The diapers are still plastic, with a thinner outer sheet over which a nonwoven rayon layer is adhered for the cloth effect. But the bigger damage is inside: non-biodegradable SAP. Scientists in India recently came up with a biodegradable version of SAP...just a matter of time until we find out if its manufacture can meet up with demand. Once that happens, disposable diaper recyclability can be realized again. 🥳

And what you have now in addition to the extra topsheet on the plastic film is a layer of glue.
So even more chemicals on your butt.
The plastic itself never hurt me. I use powder and I keep clean.

That biodegradable SAP will be interesting though.
You know what happens every time they make something "green":
It's just not as good. Hopefully this is not the case here.

Reactions: AJFan2020 and BobbiSueEllen
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back