Well this is a different response from K&C

ThatHiddenDL

There are, in fact, flamingos.
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I was checking out customer feedback on Goodnites with the recent changes, which were not that great (no surprise), and I came across a different response to the "need bigger sizes" feedback:

We appreciate and understand your interest in larger sizes for GoodNites NightTime Underwear. Please be assured that we regularly evaluate our range of sizes through research and consumer testing. As we receive and evaluate new data, it is possible that larger sizes could be available in the future. Thanks again for your interest in our products and for taking the time to write your review.

Literally for years people have been making this request and K&C has always directed customers to their Depend product line via scripted response.

Looking back on it, I have to wonder if the drastic change in Goodnites' material was a test product roll-out to see if they could cut cost to allow for bigger sizes to be on the market and not hurt their current brand image. I believe I saw a post that identified two different product codes to help people distinguish the "bad" from the "good" product, but the different product codes don't necessarily indicate anything. It's definitely something that retailers do when looking to expand product lines while not jeopardizing potential margin loss.

Should be interesting to see if this change in response actually indicates that they will roll-out larger sizes.

I hate to say it but I read that as marketing speak for "We have no plans to do what you're asking right now but if our plans change, you'll be able to feel like we weren't rude about it."

Reactions: DiaperedBedwetter1998, Cottontail and PullupAndy
I doubt they’ll release a completely new, larger size. I also doubt recent batch variation was done to probe cost saving measures, as opposed to a subtle manufacturing error after a design change.

If they make anything bigger, they’ll do it by increasing the dimensions of the sizes already available.

They released that ridiculous XS size, which is only *slightly* less ridiculous if they were planning to make *everything else* a bit bigger down the line. Who knows?

I am hopeful but very skeptical they are going to actually do anything. People have been asking for larger sizes for years to no avail.

May very well be so.

Gotta admit, though, it's pretty crazy the amount of feedback over so many years that K&C has received and hasn't done anything. Definitely not ignoring the equipment cost that would be associated.

Bluecave said:
subtle manufacturing error after a design change.

To be honest, I was of the same opinion at first, but looking at K&C as a business it would only be a matter of time for them to give in to the amount of feedback that has been given in this regard. I'm totally postulating everything around their change in rhetoric, but combined with other things this is what I see. They haven't changed design at all. What they have done is changed the graphic of one element of their product; which is a simple as uploading a new design with a new color pallet ( with some technicalities involved). The rest of the product has remained as advertised, in theory, which as they have for several years now honed in on their "5 layer protection" and less actively their "25% stretchier sides". What I find interesting about their roll-out after doing a little reading is that the material that was used on their initial release was the same material as before they began advertising the 25% selling points. This coupled with what I believe is a down playing of that selling point, leads me to believe that they are looking at ways to cut costs and are measuring it with the initial release product. Whether or not its for data concerning expanding the current product really isn't relevant in the interest of the company because cutting back cost while maintaining brand image is a practical move within a business. Looking at this it would make sense that they are testing the market rather than the off chance that someone mistakenly put the wrong spindle on the production line and no one caught the mistake.

What I honestly think is that they put out what I believe to be a test product to measure their margin percentage so that they can determine the offset of the cost requrired for building the required machines to actulally produce the product that is being demanded by their consumer. In all likelihood, though, their results ( if my assumptions are correct) will not offset the costs because for them to produce a product with an inch and a half difference in width and length will ultimately not be profitable considering all of their different brands. Ultimately, it will come down to data that we will never see.

Again, this is just me postulating on my own observances . . . just a rendering of my own thought.

Last edited:
ThatHiddenDL said:
What I honestly think is that they put out what I believe to be a test product to measure their margin percentage so that they can determine the offset of the cost requrired for building the required machines to actulally produce the product that is being demanded by their consumer. In all likelihood, though, their results ( if my assumptions are correct) will not offset the costs because for them to produce a product with an inch and a half difference in width and length will ultimately not be profitable considering all of their different brands. Ultimately, it will come down to data that we will never see.

Again, this is just me postulating on my own observances . . . just a rendering of my own thought.

They should just shift the weight on all of their products up some. Even the XS was unneeded. you already had actual baby diapers filling that range, you should have just made a larger size huggies diaper.

Plus tbh I can understand parents anger with these companies. Its like forbidden for pampers, huggies, or luvs to even touch the adult diaper market, so they purposly cap off products at a younger age. Then all store brands will only go as far down as S/M or medium.

They literally do not have many options to pic from unless they go online and even still then the junior/xs/small product ranges are lacking.
There is no excuse in this day of age that products for people of that age shouldn't exist, its just corporate greed.

P.S.
Also they need to stop doing weight ranges. You know good and well what the products wasit/hip range actually is. Just put that on the product. No diaper should not have that info, even baby diapers should have that.

Depends has recently launched 'Real Fit' which I have yet to try. They appear to be more like Goodnites and less like granny pants True Fit. They are also expensive.

The comments/requests for larger sizes on the Goodnites website go back nearly 10 years. Like Trevor said they are likely just saying we know know, no.

Sadly there is a large gap when graduating from Goodnites XL to Depends S/M.

On one hand you have Goodnites XL which are a fun and discrete pullup which have TWO leg guards and can handle adult dribble and wettings, but aren't something an adult or teen could really rely on to keep them dry; unless it's just dribble or you are standing when you wet.

Teens are expected to progress to Depends Small which when compared with Goodnites pullups are massive in size and extend way past your underwear waist band, less discrete, more reliable but not really reliable, do not have leg guards, have boring plain white or cheap tacky print (black lines), and for me have gaps between my thigh and pubic area which ends up being a leak threat.

There really is a need and market for a Goodnites XXL, whether people with IC realize it or not.

But KC does not want to do this as they would be competing with themselves (Goodnites Vs Depends).

For me a Goodnite is more like a fun underwear accessory that also protects against uh-oh accidents. Depends are humiliating medical accessories.

I fully agree that they need to make larger sizes, I wore the original XL size until they went to the trim fit in 2004 and even with me at 200lbs at the time they fit well and did their job well. Being as they made them that large before they can easily do it again since goodnites are made on the same machine that they were made on since they came out in '94.

Reactions: DiaperedBedwetter1998
Given kids are getting larger on both sides of the Atlantic, surely a larger size is the way to go?

The L/XL are very snug on me but I’ve seen kids with larger waist sizes who would need a bigger product if they wet the bed.

kC should also consider the market of parents of special needs kids who need protection but are otherwise mobile.

I’m sure the unisex DryNites 10-15 were bigger than the current 8-15 size...

There will always be people who want something larger or smaller than what's available. Those people will say something, and because the vast majority of customers will say nothing at all, the sayers will appear artificially numerous.

My guess is that, relatively speaking, the number of people clamoring for larger GoodNites is a drop in the bucket. Consider that KC has three sizes of GoodNites, and the sales volumes for those three sizes are more than enough data for a trend plot on a spreadsheet. If that trend was flat or only slightly downward-sloping, we'd probably have those XXL GoodNites.

There is no point whatsoever in Extra Small, however, when there are corresponding night time Pull-Ups sizes, surely?

I would argue it’s those that are cannibalizing the same market share, not a larger than L/XL size.

Interestingly, in the UK, the Pull-Ups now have age ranges on them:

1 - 2 1/2
2-4 (both day and night)

The age 3-5 DryNites (XS Goodnites in the US?) appear to have been shelved as they haven’t been around since the drawstring bag version.

DryNites come in age 4-7 and 8-15 varieties.

I’m sure a unisex 12+ size would sell.

PCS said:
There is no point whatsoever in Extra Small, however, when there are corresponding night time Pull-Ups sizes, surely?

I would argue it’s those that are cannibalizing the same market share, not a larger than L/XL size.

Interestingly, in the UK, the Pull-Ups now have age ranges on them:

1 - 2 1/2
2-4 (both day and night)

The age 3-5 DryNites (XS Goodnites in the US?) appear to have been shelved as they haven’t been around since the drawstring bag version.

DryNites come in age 4-7 and 8-15 varieties.

I’m sure a unisex 12+ size would sell.
I think the XS thing just reinforces that none of us can casually grasp the rationale for these business decisions from our vantage points as consumers. We're also strange consumers with an interest in larger baby/child products that probably don't make sense in the broader market.

But before I wonder about the wisdom of XS GoodNites, I'll wonder why both KC and P&G need to sell four or five different lines of tabbed baby diapers each, all with near complete functional overlap. Something tells me that if you can unravel that mystery, the mystery of XS GoodNites will become an "Oh yeah, duh."

Reactions: Trevor
I think the reason they made XS was because it most likely was made on the same machines that are used in Pull-Ups and it was an inexpensive way to widen their product line.

ThatHiddenDL said:
I think the reason they made XS was because it most likely was made on the same machines that are used in Pull-Ups and it was an inexpensive way to widen their product line.
Yea but that seems like wasted money. If you are in that sizing range, its less of a issue for you to still use diapers. I can understand not making diapers in that range and pull-up style helps them not feel like they are a baby, but the XS serves no purpose.

Size 7/6 diapers are covering the range the XS was made for.

According to the CDCs weight chart. Link
The 50th percentile for that weight is like 6 years old.
The 3rd percentile is 8 years old.

This product covers a very small range. It would not be uncommon for someone who is 6 years old to wear diapers at night that are size 7 for bed-wetting issues. I only see a issue at age 8 and above.

kratox said:
Yea but that seems like wasted money. If you are in that sizing range, its less of a issue for you to still use diapers. I can understand not making diapers in that range and pull-up style helps them not feel like they are a baby, but the XS serves no purpose.

Size 7/6 diapers are covering the range the XS was made for.

According to the CDCs weight chart. Link
The 50th percentile for that weight is like 6 years old.
The 3rd percentile is 8 years old.

This product covers a very small range. It would not be uncommon for someone who is 6 years old to wear diapers at night that are size 7 for bed-wetting issues. I only see a issue at age 8 and above.

A few years ago Goodnites had a survey for parents that would answer whether their child should use Goodnites or Pull-Ups for nighttime. Deciding to experiment with the survey (taking it multiple times), I noticed that the only question that seemed to have any bearing on what they recommended was whether or not the child had turned 4. If not, then Pull-Ups; if so, then Goodnites. It was shortly after that that the XS was announced. It appears that KC is trying to separate their products for different scenarios: Huggies for babies pre-potty training, Pull-Ups for toddlers mid-potty training, and Goodnites for 4-year-olds+ post-potty training who still need something at night. Throw in the fact that Goodnites are more expensive per unit than Pull-Ups, which are themselves more expensive than Huggies (for technically performing the same function). In the end, it's all marketing.

Not a change in size but I notice that DryNites Australia has changed their range and packaging.

https://store.independenceaustralia.com/shop/Huggies-Drynites

Now it’s age 2-4 , 4-7 and 8-15.

The 8-15 packaging is now more discreet and perhaps would be more appealing to teenagers if they made a 15-20 size...

Last edited:
Bluecave said:
I doubt they’ll release a completely new, larger size. I also doubt recent batch variation was done to probe cost saving measures, as opposed to a subtle manufacturing error after a design change.

Someone here posted that they switched production to a different plant, so if anything it's surprising they didn't screw up more than just the elastic.

ThatHiddenDL said:
Gotta admit, though, it's pretty crazy the amount of feedback over so many years that K&C has received and hasn't done anything.

Online feedback isn't the same as market research (it's a biased sample, for one). They probably do surveys or focus groups to find out how much demand there is for larger ones, and whether they could compete with current offerings and whether it would be profitable enough.

All the fake ABDL's posting as if they are parents wanting larger sizes doesn't help the legitimacy of actual parents wanting larger ones.

Cottontail said:
Consider that KC has three sizes of GoodNites, and the sales volumes for those three sizes are more than enough data for a trend plot on a spreadsheet. If that trend was flat or only slightly downward-sloping, we'd probably have those XXL GoodNites.

That's a powerful argument. Maybe they created XS Goodnites to provide a third point to better establish the trend haha.

Prairie said:
All the fake ABDL's posting as if they are parents wanting larger sizes doesn't help the legitimacy of actual parents wanting larger ones.

I know right? Some of the rant'y comments make it clear the product is for themselves, an adult.

Back