Weight Loss: Tirzepatide

Llayden

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I began a journey I never thought that I would. I am trying to lose weight, medically. I never thought I would be in this position, I never thought I would resort to something like this. Fifteen years in the military and very active, until the knee injury. Since the injury it has been so hard to keep the weight off. It has been 14 years since the injury, ten years since leaving the military, and throughout that time the weight just slowly crept in. I have tried so many different things to keep it off but it just won't go away.

My diet has never really been an issue. I enjoy veg, fruit, and lean proteins off the grill. Rarely indulge in sweets, sometimes snack like anyone else, very reasonable portion sizes, and never any soda/energy/sugar drinks. It isn't the cleanest diet in the world, and I could cut back on some things here and there, but it's pretty solid. I rarely eat out and cook everything at home from scratch (not from a box). I don't season much of anything with salt.

I don't workout like I used to because of the knee. I just can't do it. I enjoy swimming (used to be a swimmer prior to the military, capt. of my high school team) and biking and will do a 3000m workout at least once a week (really hard to fit it in) and bike at least once a week. I enjoy walks/easy hikes on the weekend, spend a ton of time in the garden, bowling, and split wood for a side gig. I'm on my feet walking/lifting most of the day for work and long walks on campus. I don't have the most active lifestyle in the world, but it sure isn't sedentary.

I used to smoke (thanks military). I was never a heavy smoker but I was a smoker. It was a work habit. Maybe a pack a week for the last 25 years. But last year I quit. I didn't really set out to and didn't really decide to consciously, I just did it. I'm so glad I did!!! But, for some reason it triggered a weight gain on top of my struggle. I didn't change a thing in my diet or portions or activity level but the weight started to pile up even faster.

At a dentist appointment recently they did a blood pressure check and for the first time in my life I had high blood pressure. I have never had high blood pressure. This I think was the catalyst and the impetus behind me looking for options to help me lose weight. My grandmother had diabetes, had a stroke, and my mother has high blood pressure she treats with meds. These issues and obesity are extremely normal for Native Americans unfortunately, and I don't want to be another fat Indian. I don't want diabetes, have to stab myself all the time, and have a heart attack.

I don't like wearing t-shirts anymore in public and won't. I have had to buy bigger clothes in the past year. I don't like the way that I look or feel, or the way that I look makes me feel. I checked my BMI and was shocked to discover that I am clinically obese now. I have been overweight for a long time, but now it's in a dangerous area. Most people don't think I'm obese and my friends I've shared this with in conversation are taken aback that I would be "obese". The doctor, nurses, and people in my program were all a bit surprised that I am obese but there is no denying it. I may carry it well but I am obese. I am 5'10" and 227 lbs. My body shape is still an "athletic" shape (chest bigger than gut), but it is flabby.

I was exploring surgical options, but it scares the hell out of me. Not to mention the expense. My explorations led me to the new drugs on the market that are approved for weight loss. They were new to me but it looks like they've been exceptionally popular for a couple of years now. I hadn't heard of them. I had to do my research and brought it up with my PC at eh VA. I was saddened to discover that the VA doesn't really have much in the way of weight loss programs/options. This led me to an outside search.

I found a clinic in my town and paid for everything out of pocket. My new PCPhys worked with me to ensure that the most MINIMAL option that would be effective is the choice we make. In other words we went through many options leading up to the meds. I have elected to take Tirzepatide (known as Munjungo?). I had to learn how to inject myself and I hate it. This is something that I hope will focus my efforts on getting healthier so that I don't have to inject myself the rest of my life (diabetes). I am targeting 50lbs. weight loss, but would love to lose 75lbs. I have been told that some people have lost much more than that in as few as 8 months.

I am excited, and I am scared. I know these drugs are new which means I am the long term tester. There are so many risks, but I feel that there are too many more risks if I don't do something to reverse my own course.

Last edited:
Tomorrow will mark the end of 2 weeks since starting. It has been a really interesting two weeks, in a very good way! I am simply amazed at how quickly I get full when eating and how little I desire certain things. I have never been one to really CRAVE something in particular, but if there is one thing that comes close it was Diet Coke. I went from drinking 2-3 per day to having maybe 2-3 in the last two weeks.

I haven't had any because I simply don't want any. I am leaning into the experience and listening to my body VERY closely. If I don't want something I don't have any. If I'm full I'm done eating, even though it may be a surprisingly small meal at times. I have noticed a drastic decrease in carbs in my diet. I hardly ever have bread, sugar, or junk food, and yet I am absolutely floored at how little I've had since starting this journey. I simply don't want any.

It doesn't make me sick to have anything, a small piece of cake that someone made for instance. It's just that the portions and frequency are drastically reduced. I would explain the drug as simply amplifying your natural hunger responses and desires, while appropriately slowing some processes down and speeding others up. Slower to hunger, faster to become satiated.

Tomorrow I will do my first weigh in. I have been avoiding the scales on purpose, too hopeful and too nervous. I am excited and anxious, I know for a fact that my diet has been better these past few weeks and I have been far more active thanks to spring finally coming. A ton of work in the yard and garden.

Reactions: diaperdude
Llayden said:
Tomorrow will mark the end of 2 weeks since starting. It has been a really interesting two weeks, in a very good way! I am simply amazed at how quickly I get full when eating and how little I desire certain things. I have never been one to really CRAVE something in particular, but if there is one thing that comes close it was Diet Coke. I went from drinking 2-3 per day to having maybe 2-3 in the last two weeks.

I haven't had any because I simply don't want any. I am leaning into the experience and listening to my body VERY closely. If I don't want something I don't have any. If I'm full I'm done eating, even though it may be a surprisingly small meal at times. I have noticed a drastic decrease in carbs in my diet. I hardly ever have bread, sugar, or junk food, and yet I am absolutely floored at how little I've had since starting this journey. I simply don't want any.

It doesn't make me sick to have anything, a small piece of cake that someone made for instance. It's just that the portions and frequency are drastically reduced. I would explain the drug as simply amplifying your natural hunger responses and desires, while appropriately slowing some processes down and speeding others up. Slower to hunger, faster to become satiated.

Tomorrow I will do my first weigh in. I have been avoiding the scales on purpose, too hopeful and too nervous. I am excited and anxious, I know for a fact that my diet has been better these past few weeks and I have been far more active thanks to spring finally coming. A ton of work in the yard and garden.
Good luck

211.8, a decrease of 15.2 lbs!!! That is unbelievable, which I don't. I am certain that a vast majority of that must've been water weight. I think my Diet Coke intake, along with other things, was probably leading to water retention. However, I know I haven't been drinking enough water or fluids of any sort over the past two weeks either. I haven't had any desire to. I cannot count how many times I've poured a glass of water only to realize that it's still nearly full hours later and undrunk.

I know that I've been needing more water. A couple of hard days work and I was drinking liters and liters of water with no output. It is not unusual for me to wake up wet, and yet I have been unusually dry the past week and a half. My urine output daily is ridiculously small lately. Strangely, I feel absolutely fine. Not thirsty, run down, or unhealthy in any way. I need to double down and make sure that I am drinking enough water everyday.

For context, I was previously drinking water all the time. I like my well water and would probably drink a gallon of it a day just at home. I would drink my 2-3 Diet Cokes at work, and a large cup of coffee in the morning. It was not unusual for me to completely saturate something like a MegaMax in just a couple of hours. Now I remain dry almost all the time and MIGHT drink a glass of water with dinner. I still have a cup of coffee in the morning. So, I need to start drinking more water again!!!

The other side effect of not enough water, regularity. I was very regular with a morning BM and evening. I have gone 4 days without twice now and had to resort to a laxative to try and help. Both times it was ineffective (over 24hours without effect) because it was a saline lax and guess what I don't have enough of in my body...water!!! I need to drink more water!!! My diet, habits, physical activity seem to be fine but GEEZ, drink more water!!!

Reactions: diaperdude
Back