Washing Plastic Pants

Constantlydamp

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
For everyone that wears a nappy and plastic pants my question is how you wash the pants after use. I personally use a mild hand soap followed by a rinse in clean water then hung outside to dry but I am really interested what others do to keep the pants in tip top condition.

I use covers from Ecoable which are PUL lined. I simply wash them in the washing machine and then tumble dry low. I used to wash by hand and then hang dry (inside - don't really want people seeing my diapers on a line) and they'd last a couple years. They don't last quite as long now (a little over a year) but the extra $100 a year is worth the convenience to me... Still soooooo much cheaper than disposables.

Reactions: Constantlydamp
1660592311877.png1660592344088.pngI wash mine in the bathroom sink. I fill the sink with warm water and just dip my finger in Tide Free & Gentle and then let the tap rinse that soap amount off of my finger. This is so that there is just a small amount of detergent in the water. Then I turn the plastic pants inside out since it is the inside that needs the cleaning. After a few minutes of soaking, drain and refill with warm water to rinse.

Once rinsed, I get a bath towel and put that over my hand with the plastic pants (still inside out) over that. Then I towel off the inside of the pants (still on the outside). Then finish by turning it right side out and towelling that also for dryness. Then they go upstairs into my closet to hang from a hanger until needed (they are mostly dry by this point).

I think that the most important thing is to be careful of the soap used. For example, dish soap is targeted at grease and it can cause the plastics to become brittle. I don't know, but hand soap may behave the same way. Nothing lasts forever, especially plastic pants. That's why I don't spend more than about $4 each. Here in Canada, you can buy a 3-pack of Priva plastic pants for about $12 (some places charge more -- builtin profit).

As a side note, you have to hate the advertising for incontinent seniors. They always show such jubilant seniors (always on their back) because they are so happy (in this case) about their Priva plastic pants. Sorry, but the marketing image they paint just bugs me.

Reactions: huggiesthick, Angelapinks and Constantlydamp
Unless I’ve leaked, I just rinse them in the shower and hang up to dry.

Reactions: Chrissie and Constantlydamp
If you have to use a soap, it should be very mild or diluted. Don't hang outside as that will accelertae the hardening and break down of the plastic.

Yes, plastic will become hard and brittle and they don't react well to anything with oil (petroleum). Like Seasonedcitizen, I rinse mine very thoroughly in the shower. I don't use soap as most soaps have some sort of petroleum derivative.

I just wash them in an inexpensive shampoo in the shower every morning, then hang them up to dry but not in the sun as that kills them very quickly, (the elastic goes first)). Then every four or five shower washes I put them in the nappy wash in the machine for an extra sanitising wash. Works well for me!

I am very grateful for the response to the question and will be keeping my pants out of the sun from now on.

I don't dr
EcoIncon said:
I use covers from Ecoable which are PUL lined. I simply wash them in the washing machine and then tumble dry low. I used to wash by hand and then hang dry (inside - don't really want people seeing my diapers on a line) and they'd last a couple years. They don't last quite as long now (a little over a year) but the extra $100 a year is worth the convenience to me... Still soooooo much cheaper than disposables.
I didn't dryer mine I just air dry they last longer that way

Reactions: EcoIncon
slimjiminy said:
View attachment 84631View attachment 84632I wash mine in the bathroom sink. I fill the sink with warm water and just dip my finger in Tide Free & Gentle and then let the tap rinse that soap amount off of my finger. This is so that there is just a small amount of detergent in the water. Then I turn the plastic pants inside out since it is the inside that needs the cleaning. After a few minutes of soaking, drain and refill with warm water to rinse.

Once rinsed, I get a bath towel and put that over my hand with the plastic pants (still inside out) over that. Then I towel off the inside of the pants (still on the outside). Then finish by turning it right side out and towelling that also for dryness. Then they go upstairs into my closet to hang from a hanger until needed (they are mostly dry by this point).

I think that the most important thing is to be careful of the soap used. For example, dish soap is targeted at grease and it can cause the plastics to become brittle. I don't know, but hand soap may behave the same way. Nothing lasts forever, especially plastic pants. That's why I don't spend more than about $4 each. Here in Canada, you can buy a 3-pack of Priva plastic pants for about $12 (some places charge more -- builtin profit).

As a side note, you have to hate the advertising for incontinent seniors. They always show such jubilant seniors (always on their back) because they are so happy (in this case) about their Priva plastic pants. Sorry, but the marketing image they paint just bugs me.
This!!

Washer and dryer = Usually Bad /Premature Failure

Since my plastic pants aren't exposed to more than trace amounts of urine or feces, I simply wear the ones I've slept in into the shower. I take them off, invert them, and hold them up close to the shower head. Then I hang them over the other tub to dry.

Reactions: Seasonedcitizen
My PUL pants go in the shower with me and get a thorough rinse with fresh water as well as a dose of my shower gel before a good water rinse a good towlling dry and left for a day in the hot water cylinder cupboard.

slimjiminy said:
View attachment 84631View attachment 84632I wash mine in the bathroom sink. I fill the sink with warm water and just dip my finger in Tide Free & Gentle and then let the tap rinse that soap amount off of my finger. This is so that there is just a small amount of detergent in the water. Then I turn the plastic pants inside out since it is the inside that needs the cleaning. After a few minutes of soaking, drain and refill with warm water to rinse.

Hi Slimjiminy, I have six pairs of the Priva plastic pants and they work but I only wish they were longer in the body like my Drylife and Vivactive ones. What I find frustrating is the label is never on the back so you have to hold the pants up to decide front and back. Do you have similar problems ?.

Constantlydamp said:
Hi Slimjiminy, I have six pairs of the Priva plastic pants and they work but I only wish they were longer in the body like my Drylife and Vivactive ones. What I find frustrating is the label is never on the back so you have to hold the pants up to decide front and back. Do you have similar problems ?.
I find that the label is at the right rear of the ones that I have (M and L). As far as length, I find them to be about right for me. I wear Medium, but if I needed extra length, the Large would probably suffice.

Back