Was anyone “allowed” to use their nappies on purpose as a child?

I was never allowed to wear as a child even though I needed them desperately to avoid bed wetting.

• Sad
Reactions: butwaittheresmore, JOCKMAN, smolguy and 2 others
I had a hard time potty training until I was 6 and I would get scolded every time I used my diaper back then.

• Sad
Reactions: AJFan2020, smolguy and checkingoutall
DanielW said:
Something similar happened to me last year...I was with a friend at a home improvement store and we were in a long-line of people waiting to have wood cut to size. I really had to go...like really bad...by the time I worked up the courage to say so to my friend it was really bad. He was irritated with me and didn't want to get out of line, so he just kept telling me to wait. I couldn't. I was the most embarrssing adult moment I'd had in a long time.

And your friend snapped, "Daniel! Just use your diaper!" Lol. Sorry, as embarrassing or traumatic as they may have been at the time, your stories are always interesting.

When I was 13 I was in a plane with my parents flying to LA from Miami. I was a bedwetter at the time and wore Goodnites for the plane ride as I would probably fall asleep and didn’t want to have an accident. I remember we had a little turbulence and we had to stay in our seats but I really had to pee. My dad pulled the front of my shorts down a little bit and felt the front of my Goodnites and I remember him saying, “You’re not that wet, just use your pull-ups that’s why you’re wearing it.” Will never forget that moment

Reactions: pamperwarrior, denis97y, TheGrimmRetails and 7 others
Even after I was potty-trained, I was still put in diapers for long trips (in case potty facilities would not be available) and for situations where wetting myself would be embarrassing (such as yearly exams at the pediatrician's). It was such a routine thing I never found it embarrassing.

Reactions: Cyprushill427, perlFerret and checkingoutall
I don't know who the rarer group is here (if you will) people who went back into nappies for trips or people who were part of families that never took the risk. I was toilet-trained young (aged 2.5) and wasn't put back into nappies for long trips, my family never needed to arrive somewhere at a certain time and we're motorway users.
-
GISW

I was the little boy desperately trying to hold it in in the back seat of the car (and in my classroom, and on errands, and a million other places). And also desperately trying not to wiggle and hold myself in ways that made it obvious how badly I needed to go. I was terribly shy about asking and often ended up having little leaks in my pants at these times.

Looking back on it now I love to imagine being diapered or put in training pants and plastic pants "just in case." Or even given understanding permission to have an accident. Though any of that done too publicly would probably have embarrassed me just as much. 😅 I once saw a wiggling 3-year-old quietly tell his mom at a neighbourhood party that he needed to pee. She said, loudly enough for everyone nearby to hear, "So? You're wearing a diaper. Be my guest. Let 'er rip." And went back to her conversation and wine.

And with a mortified, deer in the headlights look on his face he took a couple of steps away, gave in and did. Not the kind of caring, patient parenting I was looking for.

Reactions: parktochter and AJFan2020
diapernh said:
I was at the zoo the other day and this little girl was asking her mom to go to the bathroom. The mother said “just use your diaper, thats why i put one on you”
This is why kids can't figure potty training out. Parents are too damn lazy to do the right thing.

Reactions: perlFerret, KrankyPants and RedPandaDL
KittyMerriweather said:
This is why kids can't figure potty training out. Parents are too damn lazy to do the right thing.
It’s an oft told story and it does happen, fantasy fiction aside. I’ve seen it happen myself.

Although it’s tempting to be jealous of the kid who is being told “sure, you can wet yourself on purpose, it’s fine by me”,
it must be very confusing for the kid.

The original premise for pull-ups was that they were there to contain an accident if it happened, not for a kid to use on purpose if a trip to the toilet is inconvenient for the parent.

I don’t think I’d ever do this as a parent but wouldn’t get stressed if an accident did happen.

Reactions: perlFerret, AJFan2020, smolguy and 3 others
PCS said:
It’s an oft told story and it does happen, fantasy fiction aside. I’ve seen it happen myself.

Although it’s tempting to be jealous of the kid who is being told “sure, you can wet yourself on purpose, it’s fine by me”,
it must be very confusing for the kid.

The original premise for pull-ups was that they were there to contain an accident if it happened, not for a kid to use on purpose if a trip to the toilet is inconvenient for the parent.

I don’t think I’d ever do this as a parent but wouldn’t get stressed if an accident did happen.
But for sure Kimberley Clark figured out that its a winner to sell Pull-Ups for well over the potty training periods, there's so many big box on sale, some box have over 100 Pull-Ups, yes some kids can be quite a challenge to potty train for sure but when they are ready, it doesn't take more than 1-2 weeks, they clearly intend the parents to also use them like diapers, and also as a backup to going on the potty when its not convenient to find and use bathrooms. I'm back from grocery and saw a parent tell her toddler girl (she must have been 2-3 yrs old not 100% sure) it was yucky to use public bathrooms and that's why she was wearing a Pull-Ups, she told her its ok to use her Pull-Ups right there in middle of grocery while the bathroom was 3 feet away and very clean (trust me with Covid19 they sanitize it between each use and I see the employees coming out with the full cleaning kit so many times)

Reactions: wetnights, smolguy, DiaperGuy08 and 2 others
CodyBaby said:
But for sure Kimberley Clark figured out that its a winner to sell Pull-Ups for well over the potty training periods, there's so many big box on sale, some box have over 100 Pull-Ups, yes some kids can be quite a challenge to potty train for sure but when they are ready, it doesn't take more than 1-2 weeks, they clearly intend the parents to also use them like diapers, and also as a backup to going on the potty when its not convenient to find and use bathrooms. I'm back from grocery and saw a parent tell her toddler girl (she must have been 2-3 yrs old not 100% sure) it was yucky to use public bathrooms and that's why she was wearing a Pull-Ups, she told her its ok to use her Pull-Ups right there in middle of grocery while the bathroom was 3 feet away and very clean (trust me with Covid19 they sanitize it between each use and I see the employees coming out with the full cleaning kit so many times)
And that Mom just taught her kid to be afraid of bathrooms.

Parents really are clueless 🤣 << I say that because I know my parents created the naughty potty streak I have

Last edited:
Reactions: Unicycleman, smolguy, KrankyPants and 2 others
KittyMerriweather said:
And that Mom just taught her kid to be afraid of bathrooms.

Parents really are clueless 🤣 << I say that because I know my parents created the naughty potty streak I have
Note with the COVID-19 it best to be afraid, not stupid.

• Haha
Reactions: AJFan2020, KittyMerriweather and CookieMonstah
Lestat said:
Nappies for all, then!

Reactions: Davvyboy, Andy86, chamberpot and 5 others
I wore diapers on long car rides as I was a bed wetter & have been my entire life . My parents also made me wear diapers the entire time on our trip to Florida in 1990 when I was 8 years old . They did this because I had a very weak bladder & did not want me to have embarrassing wetting accidents & have to change at Disney .

Reactions: Cyprushill427, TTAM00, DiaperGuy08 and 1 other person
PCS said:
One of my early memories from when I was about three involved being put into a nappy in advance of a long car journey during which it was felt that I would probably fall asleep.

I think I was told, (or at least I had the impression!), that I didn’t need to worry about asking to stop if I needed a wee as I could just go in the nappy.

At the time I was day trained.

Was anyone else ever allowed to wet their nappies on purpose for convenience in this way?

Although this wasn’t my DL trigger I think the memory of it may have contributed in some way.
Wouldn't say allowed but I did. I wet the bed until I was 12 so wore drynites to bed. By the time I was that old I was waking up dry about 2 or 3 nights a week and usually woke up if I needed the toilet in the night.

Obviously I would just wet myself deliberately when this hpened meaning my parents bought me drynites for longer than they otherwise would have.

Reactions: Ickledan89 and perlFerret
KittyMerriweather said:
Children are often smarter than they're given credit for and some know that they should use the potty but will do what they're told if it's easier.

Reactions: AJFan2020
Lestat said:
They clean the washrooms, and kids can wash their hands. Its best to keep your wits about you. smdh

Reactions: KrankyPants, RedPandaDL and CodyBaby
KittyMerriweather said:
They clean the washrooms, and kids can wash their hands. Its best to keep your wits about you. smdh
Some staff might not clean the bathrooms or clean them as well as others. Others may use the bathroom and may carry the disease and it might not get cleaned every single time. Better to be safe than sorry.

Back