Use of catheters for females

BABYTIGERCUB

ABDLIC
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
Does anyone have to do intermittent catheter use for urinary retention and urinary incontinence, I'm retaining too much urine and it's leading to urinary tract infections I've been told to increase fluid intake to help flush out the kidneys but that leeds to more changes of diapers night and day I have a nasty infection right now I'm on antibiotics for it, and how do you get through this kind of problem first for me.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
My U-IC is much simpler than yours as I tend to empty.

I assume you are working with you MD regarding medications for retention and they are not working?

Over the last couple of decades there has been several improvements regarding catheter surface finishing and pre lubrication. Likely worth a detailed discussion regarding what is available, specifically for females, with your MD. Sadly, the knowledge level at local and chain drug stores as come to a low point of; "what was prescribed" we will will order that for you.

Regarding your diapers, consider upgrading to a higher-capacity, premium diaper from (US based) Northshore diapers as they have an excellent customer service group that will help you define the diapers you should consider and they will provide you samples. You really want to target a night time diaper that will support you needs for the entire night!

NOTE: I am a big believer in maintaining a journal that follows your releases and some idea of volume. I use their Mega Max because I really dislike low capacity cased leaks, especially at night. Your daytime choice will clearly follow the number of daytime releases and volume. I am also a big believer in using plastic pants as yet another line of protection against leaks. Northshore's Trifecta Pant is an excellent product.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2, PaddedRita, lidleme and 3 others
I can help on a few counts as I do intermittent catheterisation for urinary retention but my anatomy is different as I'm male so there's a slight variation in the equipment used/ how it's done I believe the female catheter is around half the size of the male one. I take long term antibiotics to keep infections at bay and found the best catheters are made by coloplast the pre lubricated speedicath ones they will send a free sample if you have a prescription

Reactions: Diprs2, Edgewater and BABYTIGERCUB
I really HATE Catheter !! I got more UTI infection from that silly things !!!

Reactions: Edgewater and Diprs2
The indwelling catheter is a big risk for uti I don't know what the risks for uti's with intermittent catheters are I'm getting uti's from urinary retention this is caused by severe spinal stenosis in the cervical vertebrae area, you don't mine me asking did you use indwelling or intermittent catheters, I have to make a decision with my urologist I have autoimmune disease and infections are high risk to become septic.

Reactions: Edgewater
Edgewater said:
My U-IC is much simpler than yours as I tend to empty.

I assume you are working with you MD regarding medications for retention and they are not working?

Over the last couple of decades there has been several improvements regarding catheter surface finishing and pre lubrication. Likely worth a detailed discussion regarding what is available, specifically for females, with your MD. Sadly, the knowledge level at local and chain drug stores as come to a low point of; "what was prescribed" we will will order that for you.

Regarding your diapers, consider upgrading to a higher-capacity, premium diaper from (US based) Northshore diapers as they have an excellent customer service group that will help you define the diapers you should consider and they will provide you samples. You really want to target a night time diaper that will support you needs for the entire night!

NOTE: I am a big believer in maintaining a journal that follows your releases and some idea of volume. I use their Mega Max because I really dislike low capacity cased leaks, especially at night. Your daytime choice will clearly follow the number of daytime releases and volume. I am also a big believer in using plastic pants as yet another line of protection against leaks. Northshore's Trifecta Pant is an excellent product.
I was using betterdry day diapers they were OK with boosters, I went to betterdry night diapers and boosted working pretty good so far the northshore for my budget I'm on ssdi the price for northshore is out of my budget unfortunately but I put in order for Trifecta pants thank for the information.

Reactions: PaddedRita and Edgewater
Clean Intermittent catheterisation carries far less risk of infection than indwelling catheters do, that's not to say it doesn't carry a risk as with anything you insert into the body, you have to make sure everything is clean and sterile but they do a lot of catheters now that are sealed in a sheath so the risk is further minimised. Unfortunately I got a run of infections due to urine sitting in my bladder so using the catheter means I can get the stale urine out and reduce the other risk I have which is kidney stones forming.

Reactions: Edgewater and BABYTIGERCUB
I've had kidney stones from a parathyroid Adanoma didn't even know I had it was found by accident when I had MRI for the cervical stenosis had it removed and no longer get kidney stones the parathyroid Adanomas cause calcium to spike really high in the blood stream and into the kidneys have you ever had an ultrasound of the neck the parathyroid Glands are real close to the Thyroid Gland theirs 4 parathyroid Glands and parathyroid Adanomas are more common in females than males, thanks for the information.

• Wow
Reactions: PaddedRita and Edgewater
BABYTIGERCUB said:
I've had kidney stones from a parathyroid Adanoma didn't even know I had it was found by accident when I had MRI for the cervical stenosis had it removed and no longer get kidney stones the parathyroid Adanomas cause calcium to spike really high in the blood stream and into the kidneys have you ever had an ultrasound of the neck the parathyroid Glands are real close to the Thyroid Gland theirs 4 parathyroid Glands and parathyroid Adanomas are more common in females than males, thanks for the information.
I haven't no they said my stones are caused by a combination of an anti seizure medication I take to control my migraines and the urinary retention solution is to catheterise more and drink more to stop them forming. Your condition sounds worse than mine though have they not considered other options such as sacral nerve modulation or the more severe option of urinary diversion surgery they are the two options on the table for me at the moment, They are trying medication first but doesn't seem to do anything.

Reactions: BABYTIGERCUB and Edgewater
Back