Unexpected diaper request

Kayleigh

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
I just got a call from my mother-in-law’s assisted living residence requesting me to supply diapers for her. Ironic, huh???
The residence uses Medline Fitright briefs although I don’t know the absorbency. I now need to figure out what I will need to order. I don’t know the extent of her wetting so I will need to ask a few more questions.
If anyone can make some recommendations on the best price/quality mix and supplier I’d appreciate it.
Thanks.

• Wow
Reactions: Edgewater
UK or US?

I don't think you want Fit-Rite. I would opt for Better Dry instead.

• Love
Reactions: Straycatz, mistykitty and Edgewater
If they are providing the fitrite already. Why do you need to provide diapers?

• Thinking
Reactions: mistykitty and Edgewater
First I'd ask wahich brand(s) of diapers (HS or EAN code) and after I'd buy one pack more - for me and when I come o destiny, so I'd leave it hidden in my car.

• Thinking
Reactions: Edgewater and Jed51
BigAl1 said:
If they are providing the fitrite already. Why do you need to provide diapers?
Likely she has transition from occasional to needing 24/7 or at least every night. That change commonly changes them from providing to the client providing diaper.

There is no question that you need more information!

When are they planning on diapering your mother-in-law. Commonly, starting with night time and than transitioning to both night and day! This affects the number of diapers per 24 hour period. Lastly, is volume of release, which is commonly-off set by number of normal changes they plan-on during 24 hours. The more changes they preform the lower the volume requirements of the diaper.

Clearly the impulse it so buy cheap, but what you need to target is the ability of the diaper to keep the wetness away from her skin. As you know that is a combination of absorbance and whether the diaper has a wetness barrier as part of the design.

You are in a position to test them and transition based on your findings!

FYI: Leave only enough to support until you next planned visit!!! Plus one bag. I always magic marketed the bags with a number to keep count. They will quickly determine that you are monitoring the usage!!

Last edited:
Reactions: CrayonRocket, BigAl2 and mistykitty
I just got a call from my mother-in-law’s assisted living residence requesting me to supply diapers for her.

I was in a similar situation last year, with my aunt initially given Depends women's absorbent underwear. Given the negative comments about that brand here, I needed to find something better. She had memory loss, so she frequently was in a situation of forgetting where the washrooms were when she was in the common areas. She was too embarrassed to talk about them so I could never get a definitive answer from her, even though I tried to convince her that there was nothing to be ashamed of.

I don't normally wear women's products, but I did end up buying a bag of Always Discrete and tried one for a day. It seemed ok and the brand was well spoken of, so I supplied her with those from then on. Nobody else needed to know. ;)

slimjiminy said:
I was in a similar situation last year, with my aunt initially given Depends women's absorbent underwear. Given the negative comments about that brand here, I needed to find something better. She had memory loss, so she frequently was in a situation of forgetting where the washrooms were when she was in the common areas. She was too embarrassed to talk about them so I could never get a definitive answer from her, even though I tried to convince her that there was nothing to be ashamed of.

I don't normally wear women's products, but I did end up buying a bag of Always Discrete and tried one for a day. It seemed ok and the brand was well spoken of, so I supplied her with those from then on. Nobody else needed to know. ;)
Well done good friend! Trying them yourself brings pease of mind!

Be mindful that as time passes, you should be looking for the next level! Knowing where the next step will be will allow you to select product without rushing the process.

Edgewater said:
Well done good friend! Trying them yourself brings pease of mind!

Be mindful that as time passes, you should be looking for the next level! Knowing where the next step will be will allow you to select product without rushing the process.
Agreed but we never got to that next level. She passed away unexpectedly last autumn.

• Sad
Thanks to everyone who responded. I was operating with little to no info about the absorbency needed other than being told that they were using Fitright. I am at a disadvantage because if she was officially deemed incontinent (meaning they would supply the diapers) they would then bounce her up to the next level of care. It already costs over ten thousand a month for her and I can’t afford them adding additional costs.
I wound up having McKesson diapers delivered and I have not gotten any negative feedback so I assume they are fine.

• Wow
Reactions: BigAl2 and Edgewater
10 K out of pocket?

Yes. We have somehow finagled our way through this expense, but it is draining us.

• Wow
Reactions: Edgewater and BigAl2
Who needs to classify her as incontinent as their request of extended incontinent support (your suppling diapers) kind of sets one of the biggest corner stones in place. Her MD maybe able to do that for you. But, check to see if that will cost you more than the cost of diapers you will be buying per-month.

FYI: Medicare helps a tiny bit, but Medicaid will bring you a ton of value added!! You will need to apply for that with the goal of having her appear poor!! One of the biggest tools to reduce her value is to pre-pay for her Funeral costs! Check with your CPA or the one that has been completing her yearly taxes. They will be able to help with the details.

This process seems built to drain 'you' and mother dry, because it is! You need to get in front of this SteamRoller and checking out the different agencies for the aging that can help. And, clearly one of them is a Hospice Service in your area. You want to choose one that fits your families values! I waited too long for getting them involved. They commonly have two programs one designed for mom to graduate from! And the other is to provide end-of-life support for all of you! Believe me when I say all of you!! It was that aspect that has be saying, I waited far too long!

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl2
Back