UK NHS issued nappies/pads

TheWetOne

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
  3. Incontinent
Purely out of curiousity, I would like to know what nappies or pads you get if you are given products by your local NHS Continence Service.

When I was first given nappies on the NHS, back in about 2008/9, I lived in Colchester, and I was given the old blue plastic-backed Euron Form tape on nappies. After a couple of years, due I suspect to a takeover or merger between companies, they were changed without notice, and I found myself wearing ID Expert slips. In 2020, I moved to Nottingham, and the Continence Service there issued Tena nappies, and I was able to get Active Fit slips.

Unfortunately, last year I was forced to move again to a different area of Nottinghamshire. To start with I continued to receive Tena Active Fit, but then I received a letter from the Continence Service informing me that they were changing from Tena to Attends, a very backward step in my opinion as the Attends is a far inferior product when compared to Tena. I don't understand why they have done this; initially I assumed that it was down to cost, but having compared prices on a couple of websites it would appear that in some cases at least, Tena work out cheaper per nappy than Attends.

Anyway, as I say I am curious to know what brand those of you who get nappies from the NHS are given, and what area you live in.

So where I currently am on the south coast they thankfully have Tena. After a small bit of persuasion I managed to get active fit Maxi's. Where I previously lived they were attends and wouldn't budge from the cloth backed or anything. I do think I'm lucky to live somewhere where I can get what I want effectively. It is a postcode lottery as they say.

I get tena active fit slip. I. In county durham

For me it was only Molicare products, which sadly were no good. I'm with you on price, there doesn't appear to be much logic to which companies local areas use. Out of the 'regular' brands, Tena are the only ones I've ever gotten on with (since my issues worsened they're not absorbent enough though. I had thought that was the brand the NHS gave out everywhere and so was hoping I could use them for around the house with a booster but sadly that wasn't the case and I found the Molicare uncomfortable (I have extreme sensory sensitivity due to my Autism and ADHD) as well as being extremely poor quality.

I've found ID to be pretty woeful as well as I bought some way back when and the tapes were really awful.

iD Slip is usually the first choice but if they don’t suit then they will offer samples of other products which include Tena and Molicare.

I get Tena Proskin Ultima and Tena Flex Maxi from the NHS in the Thames Valley as well as my pubic pressure urinal and bags.

We used to get Tena but we're changed over to ID slip they are awful, although I have to say I dont have as bad of a time with them anymore now I get the super and the maxi, seems to be a difference in quality

I am supplied Tena Slip Maxi Active fit and have had Tena products supplied for decades. Over the years they have let the contract to others - Molicare, ID Slip, Lille I think and just recently tried to give me ID Slip but I have had them in the past and was not happy with them so I challenged it and asked for a special order. I had to trial the new IDSlip and report back on their shortcomings but they did agree to continue to supply me with the Tena Active Fit, which I find best fit managing my incontinence.

Same here in Derbyshire, Tena active for my other half. Says it's the best he's had. They offered others makes such as ID Slip, but he didn't get on with them

Visited the NHS supply chain database a long while ago and noticed products listed that were not offered to me through my local continence service.

I think the products are available but that it is the decision of your local health authority as to which products they’ll provide.

When I first visited the site I was being provided with Tena Pro-skin which I disliked due to sagging, wicking…… I challenged my local provider, saying the Active Fit were listed on the NHS supply chain database. They simply said we do not have Active Fit and that was that.

I subsequently asked again 12 months later and they said we can now provide active fit. Absolute saviour.

But again, Ultima is listed but again they do not provide Ultima Active Fit whereas these are available in other regions.

In summary, it’s a local authority decision and not a National NHS decision.

Reactions: InconLifer
TheWetOne said:
Purely out of curiousity, I would like to know what nappies or pads you get if you are given products by your local NHS Continence Service.

When I was first given nappies on the NHS, back in about 2008/9, I lived in Colchester, and I was given the old blue plastic-backed Euron Form tape on nappies. After a couple of years, due I suspect to a takeover or merger between companies, they were changed without notice, and I found myself wearing ID Expert slips. In 2020, I moved to Nottingham, and the Continence Service there issued Tena nappies, and I was able to get Active Fit slips. E

Unfortunately, last year I was forced to move again to a different area of Nottinghamshire. To start with I continued to receive Tena Active Fit, but then I received a letter from the Continence Service informing me that they were changing from Tena to Attends, a very backward step in my opinion as the Attends is a far inferior product when compared to Tena. I don't understand why they have done this; initially I assumed that it was down to cost, but having compared prices on a couple of websites it would appear that in some cases at least, Tena work out cheaper per nappy than Attends.

Anyway, as I say I am curious to know what brand those of you who get nappies from the NHS are given, and what area you live in.
They used to supply thoseblue plasticbacked adult nappies to me when I was still wetting the bed in my teens and early 20s.

I haven't had the NHS supplies for years, partly because I didn't like what they were giving me which were the cloth back molicare with the sticky tabs which were no good for at night and I started supplementing with my own supplies, last time I asked them to change my supplies they offered me a sample of Tena comforts with netty pants.

Best nappies I got from them were plastic backed Molicare Supers which were excellent until Hartman decided to get rid of them

I just buy my own now using my DLA money

My mum got Attends for her i/c. Looking at the instructions on the packet they seemed way more complicated than Tena!

The only problem I've had was getting the continence nurse to sanction maxi slips for night time use.

Reactions: Constantlydamp
Back