Toilet Training Age Poll?

How old were you when you were potty trained and no longer wore diapers during the daytime

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mine was technically seven or thirteen. If you go by no longer need to be in a diaper 24/7 I was trained at seven but if you are going by when I did not need diapers at all then it is thirteen. Between seven and thirteen I learned how to deal with incontinence and by thirteen I would wet less than once a month. That said I have always wet the bed and even at thirteen I would have 5 or so accidents a year but I could know what triggered it and so at those times, I would be in a diaper if you can count that never being potty trained then I suppose that is the answer.

SicartheaSpikefan said:
It's been a while since we've had one of these polls so I decided to make another one
You can choose multiple options if you have a foggy memory or a strange potty training history
Lol jokes on u i still wore diapers for naptime until age 9 secretly cause i would wake up wet until age 10 then 20s and 30s

I was potty trained at 2 and 1/2, but I wet the bed from 4 to 9.

I picked five years old before starting school because even though I used an actual toilet at home by age four I wasn’t using any toilets away from home until age five—and-a-half and I therefore often had a diaper on away from home until then (even at the half-day preschool program that I was in at age five-and-a-half).

In preschool I had a Pamper on inside my underwear (but not taped on) because my control was not all the way there yet and pull-ups would not be invented for (I think) at least another decade. But at least this way I had the choice to use a toilet when I was able to and I had some protection in case of accidents. Naturally since the Pamper was not taped in place I was not protected much (if at all) in the event of an accident during a nap. But I guess some protection is better than none…

Last edited:
Reactions: Halibut
I guessing 2 1/2 3 years old I really don’t remember my grandmother watched us during the day and she wasn’t changing any diapers (think old school bus driver when you could be kicked off bus in the middle of nowhere)

jasonm03 said:
I guessing 2 1/2 3 years old I really don’t remember my grandmother watched us during the day and she wasn’t changing any diapers (think old school bus driver when you could be kicked off bus in the middle of nowhere)
Meaning she would leave you in soggy diapers or something else?

Chamed said:
Meaning she would leave you in soggy diapers or something else?
She would change them but didn’t care for it. If the older kids were around they would change them. I remember being able to change a diaper really quickly

When talking about potty training a child with autism can be really difficult, I remember when potty training my daughter, she was 4 1/2 when finally potty trained we had bought potty patty training underwear 21 pairs 7 bags of three underwear and 7 pairs of plastic pants. She was fully potty trained in less than a week. We kept four pairs of training pants just in case. Three months later when starting kindergarten she was in underwear full time

I think before 4...there are some pictures of me around that age with diapers on. I wore them during the day once in a while after that too.

I wasn't potty trained till about 5 but i still wore diapers during the daytime till about 7 i think .

For personal reasons, I wasn’t potty trained until 4 and a half, though I bedwet for a number of years after.

Reactions: Weatheronthe8s
I was potty trained around the of age 5. I guess my parents just didn't feel all that rushed.

Reactions: sinceiwassmall
Phew, had to pick two options together. I was first potty trained before my 1st birthday, however, due illness when I was 4, I was hospitalised for two months, made to wear diapers again and lost potty training skills. Re-learned before I was 5 tho.
Now I am gonna loose them again. 😁

3 for me.

Its good to see that 3 has the most votes and depressing to see 2 so close to it. I've read from various sources listed below that training before 3 promotes all sorts of bad bladder and bowel habits and heard that its more difficult for both parent and child.

I passed the below sources onto some friends and family who were new mothers when I could do so in a socially natural way. I double checked the author's credentials before I sent anyone anything just to be sure I wouldn't look like a weirdo for making suggestion since I don't have child care experience. I still have the email I sent to some family members a while ago so here are all the sources I found.
Written by a real doctor:
With his own website:
edit: This site has changed a lot since I last looked at it.
Another doctor supports it:
and here are his credentials:

Also, a prominent site in the UK says the same thing:

I checked their credentials too:

Last edited:
I put 3, but I believe it was closer to 2. From late 3 or 4 onward tho I have memories of wishing I could be in diapers tho, and wanting to not grow up.

Around 5 for me, remember right before kindergarten.

For me the best time to toilet train would be never, but it was two years old unfortunately.

Back