Tips On Changing In Public?

sseashores

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
Particularly gas station bathrooms. Recently had a heavy accident with a Goodnites pull-up (thing was soaked) and I’m just wondering how to properly dispose of them? Especially when there is only one trash can in the restroom and no flat surfaces or anything to set the soiled diaper on. I had to set it on the floor because there was no where else for it to go, and thankfully nobody walked in to see a soiled diaper on the floor 😬. Unfortunately due to my living situation (and also I prefer pull-ups anyways) I cannot get a heavier-duty diaper, so I’m wondering if anyone has tips on how to deal with disposal/any tips at all for leaky diapers in public.

Reactions: diaperedmom and Canadianfalls
Unfortunately wearing a diaper thats not made for your body weight and size is always going to leak as its not designed for the volume of pee an adult produces even though it may fit you you will leak more often then not even with a moderate accident.
If you not IC why not simply wear your diaper for fun and comfort to prevent leaks.

Disposal of diapers is easy carry plastic bags with you in your backpack and use them for disposal, if you don't carry one and simply carry in your fresh diaper simply remove and then roll it up and dispose of it in the bathrooms trash can even if theres only one carring out a use diaper from the stall is a non issue (I carry out Betterdry or Crinklz diapers and no one bats an eye)
having to place your diaper on the floor happens all the time you will get use to it.

Changing in public gets easier over time and when you can switch out to a full tapped diaper as with the proper clothes no one will notice it and changing becomes way easier and it will handle an adult size flood :)

Reactions: Canadianfalls, dlboylife, WillFord384 and 2 others
If you’re going to wear in public, you’ll need to learn to change in public. The bathrooms are not always the best, sometimes you luck out, and other times not. You have to own it if you have to carry a used diaper out to the trash

Reactions: Deleted member 78211 and SofiaInPampers
diapernh said:
If you’re going to wear in public, you’ll need to learn to change in public. The bathrooms are not always the best, sometimes you luck out, and other times not. You have to own it if you have to carry a used diaper out to the trash
That's why your changing kit should always include opaque plastic bags.

I keep all my supplies in a small backpack. Most restroom stalls have a coat hook, but I have an S-shaped hook in my bag so I can hang it on a stall door if the coat hook is missing. Drop pants to my knees, tear sides of old diaper to remove it, wrap it up and set it in the open backpack. Clean with wipes, lean against wall to put on new diaper, pull up pants, drop used diaper and wipes in plastic bag, put bag in restroom trash. It's easy once you've done it a few times.

Reactions: PuppyMouseMikki, Shingo, DownLow and 4 others
ltaluv said:

I keep all my supplies in a small backpack. Most restroom stalls have a coat hook, but I have an S-shaped hook in my bag so I can hang it on a stall door if the coat hook is missing. Drop pants to my knees, tear sides of old diaper to remove it, wrap it up and set it in the open backpack. Clean with wipes, lean against wall to put on new diaper, pull up pants, drop used diaper and wipes in plastic bag, put bag in restroom trash. It's easy once you've done it a few times.
Most places don’t have hooks, or if they do it is on the other side of the stall. I’ve used a caribbeaner with my string backpack.

I usually use a handicapped stall, and more of them need a trash can in the stall

Reactions: sseashores and SofiaInPampers
Since I only wear cloth diapers and rubber pants I need the right space to be able to be changed. My SO likes to find restrooms that either have a changing table or a counter where she can take off my wet diapers, wipe and powder me and pin a fresh diaper on. We find that family style restrooms, or restrooms for only one person at a time work best, or if such isn't available, we use the ladies room and she explains to anyone who comes in that she has to change her boyfriend and won't be long. In the worst case, she has changed me in our backseat of our car.

Reactions: chuck, chiaochai and sseashores
If we're talking specifically about gas station bathrooms, it can help to remember the stations with single person rooms. Then you have all the privacy in the world provided the door lock works. :LOL: If it's a modern station with a huge bathroom, getting the stall adjacent to the wall will give you a little more privacy. Usually I can find a place for my used diaper other than the floor, even if I have to wedge it in the space at the back of the toilet. I do like @italuv 's suggestion of an s-hook for the door. Opaque disposal bags are great and sanitary, but I have sometimes just walked out with the rolled-up diaper in hand, too. If the bathroom doesn't have a real trash can (just one of those little wall receptacles for paper towels), there's a chance the station has an accessible dumpster you could use. Otherwise you're left carrying it out, so that's a second vote for disposal bags.

You know, writing this it just occurred to me, with Covid and remote work and super absorbent diapers, how long it's been since I changed away from home. Over a year since I changed at work and about 15 months since I changed anywhere like a gas station!

Reactions: Goodnitesdude0127 and sseashores
Tip #1 - Starbucks - When travelling, coffee can be necessary and fun at the same time (or some small food/treat item). Not only are the bathrooms probably the nicest you can get for for the fast-food type of industry, but 75%+ of all freestanding Starbucks I visit happen to have a single stall or multiple single-stall bathrooms. I would say they seem to be putting them in all the Starbucks built in the past decade, but that is speculation on my part. Anyway, the doors are nice and heavy-thick, the inside is dark and dim; there is always a flared trash-can that you can easily bury your diaper in the mound of paper towels that accumulate; the walls aren't gas station paper thin (you can rip the crap out of velcro/hookNloop anything you have on you and nobody would even hear it). So after you gas up your car, gas yourself up at a Starbucks and you can change your oil pan in style for [mostly] free and undetected! Did I mention they are backpack/briefcase/laptop bag friendly (bring in ALL your supplies)!

Tip #2 - Carry a small pair of scissors - Every now and then, there is no choice but to change in a stingy no-backpack restroom type place like Barnes and Noble or a place where you are practically guaranteed to be heard and there is no doubting what the telltale sounds of a diaper change are, at least me me! Not sure if stingy is the right word, but they watch their restrooms like a hawk since I'm guessing it the first place shoplifters will try and sneak in. Anyway, the problem with their "group" bathrooms, even when in good condition like most of the Barnes and Noble bathrooms, is that you can hear a pin drop from the furthest toilet all the way to the entrance, like a freaking echo chamber. This is not unlike some sound-sensitive rest stops too. This is where the scissors come in. For me, pulling the tape off is the single most loudest thing during a sensitive public stall-type diaper change. Use your pocket scissors to cut the diaper off instead. This and at least you can muffle the taping of the new diaper easier than when taking those tapes off - ESPECIALLY tape-panel diapers. This applies mostly to tape-on diapers and not any of the side-tear variations or bargain-basement medical cloth-like diapers where the hook and loop is so weak it barely holds [and doesn't make much sound when you pull it off either].

Last edited:
Reactions: antte91, Zelretch, sseashores and 1 other person
sseashores said:
Particularly gas station bathrooms. Recently had a heavy accident with a Goodnites pull-up (thing was soaked) and I’m just wondering how to properly dispose of them? Especially when there is only one trash can in the restroom and no flat surfaces or anything to set the soiled diaper on. I had to set it on the floor because there was no where else for it to go, and thankfully nobody walked in to see a soiled diaper on the floor 😬. Unfortunately due to my living situation (and also I prefer pull-ups anyways) I cannot get a heavier-duty diaper, so I’m wondering if anyone has tips on how to deal with disposal/any tips at all for leaky diapers in public.
The disability stall at QuickTrip gas stations is not really set up well for changes. If you have RaceTrac stations in your area I suggest changing there because their facilities are better equipped. Some of them even have a sink beside their wastebaskets. There is usually a wastebasket in the disability room.

Last edited:
I wear nappies 7/24 when I am traveling. Before covid I traveled a lot. When traveling by train or plane I have my crumpler laptop bag. In one part it has space for 4 nappies and wipes. For flying the cream has to go into that plastic bag for screening liquids.
Changing is not a real problem, I walk into the toilet, untape, clean with wipes and back on with my fresh nappy. I always wear onesies over the nappy, so everything is in place.
When flying it is mandatory to change before the security control. The new "nude scanners" will detect wet nappies and book you into a a second screening. The Metal detectors are mostly safe (depending how the scanners are calibrated). Once I had the small metal buttons at the collar of my onesie offset the alarm. A short explanation and I could travel further on.
Sometimes I am asked, but the "I am incontinent and have to wear nappies" is just enough. I had to fly ever 2-3 weeks in the past, so I got a bit of a routine with that.

I only had a bad incident in Heathrow. I was arriving from a long distance flight, longing for a shower (smelly) and wanted to connect to a short flight home. The guy at the control was as grumpy as me and asked me if I would accept a personal search. The alternative would have been not to fly. I was tired and really smelled bad after the flight. My thought would be that I smelled so bad (smelly retaliation). So 2 security guys followed me to a separate room. I pulled down my pants and showed my soaked nappy (only wet) and they checked me with the hand held metal detector. Then the other guy apologized and I could head off to the airline lounge for a shower. The guys felt more uncomfortable than me.

On long-distance flights I pack spare nappies and wipes in a thick plastic bag. Befor start I change into tracksuit pants and before landing I change back into "normal pants". For a nappy change I only take my plastic bag to the toilet. I never had any problems with that. I plan those changes well before landing. Sitting belted in a seat with a nappy can be very relaxing.

When I travel with my car I sometimes have mit laptop bag with me, sometimes a plastic bag with spare nappies. Depending of the situation I put the used nappy in the next bin or I carry it in the bag to the car.

Reactions: antte91, PuppyMouseMikki, WillFord384 and 1 other person
sseashores said:
Recently had a heavy accident with a Goodnites pull-up (thing was soaked) and I’m just wondering how to properly dispose of them? (and also I prefer pull-ups anyways)
"Heavier Duty Diapers" means you need to change far less often. I'm almost fully incontinent, and only need to change 3 sometimes 4 times a day.
Unless I have a fecal accident, I do not need to change in public.

The 'diaper bag' I always have in the car has a couple extra BetterDry ( I do not usually wear print diapers in public ), rubber gloves, paper towels, adult baby wipes, and a couple small black trash bags. Since I use tab diapers, I do not need to take my shoes or pants off - I just drop my pants, clean myself up, lean against the stall wall to put on a fresh diaper, and then pull my pants back up.

Reactions: antte91, pinkpanther, dlboylife and 1 other person
KitsuneFox said:
"Heavier Duty Diapers" means you need to change far less often. I'm almost fully incontinent, and only need to change 3 sometimes 4 times a day.
Unless I have a fecal accident, I do not need to change in public.

The 'diaper bag' I always have in the car has a couple extra BetterDry ( I do not usually wear print diapers in public ), rubber gloves, paper towels, adult baby wipes, and a couple small black trash bags. Since I use tab diapers, I do not need to take my shoes or pants off - I just drop my pants, clean myself up, lean against the stall wall to put on a fresh diaper, and then pull my pants back up.

I do not wear pull-up nappies. They tend to leak and changing involves taking trousers and shoes off. That's why real nappies have tapes.
For changing it is easier to lean against a wall, but some highway toilets are just a disgrace. Then I manage to change while standing in the toilet stall not touching anything.

For the ugly toilets I put my stuff in a plastic bag. I hang it somewhere (door handle, hook). I open the belt and slide down my jeans. Then I put the package of wipes into my jeans. Then I open the nappy put it on the floor. I clean myself with wipes and put them into the nappy. Then I put on a fresh nappy and close the tapes. Since doing it since many years I have the experience where to place the tapes. Then I close the buttons of my onesie put the package of wipes back in the plastic bag and put the jeans back on. Then I roll up the used nappy with the wipes and tape it together.

Reactions: ThisIsMe
diapernh said:
Most places don’t have hooks, or if they do it is on the other side of the stall. I’ve used a caribbeaner with my string backpack.

I usually use a handicapped stall, and more of them need a trash can in the stall
I picked up some plastic hooks from the dollar store that will clamp onto the stall door or wall with out damaging it and if I forget to repack it when I leave its only a dollar :)

I have in my supplies a small wood block clamp (you can buy them at any hardware-store) that can be adjusted both along the length of its flat metal track and the rest fine-tuned with a large handheld screw. This can be clamped to anything such as the sink or doorframe of the bathroom as this keeps my supplies and wet diaper off the floor in a situation where I there is nothing I can hang my bag from. I don't use it nearly as much as I thought I would, but half of my supply bag doesn't get used much as many items are emergency replacements for things.

Targets and Walmarts have family restroom. I go in when no one is at back service center.
Most Walmart stores have a family restroom in rear of store restrooms.
Targets, it in front.
Some Malls have family restrooms one or m any locations

Reactions: ThisIsMe
sseashores said:
My mommy (gf) has a van so when we're on the road she changes me a lot in the back of the van, she usually does the same for her daughter.

Reactions: Ashton84, TheDideeboy, ThisIsMe and 2 others
I know two days ago I did my first change in a public restroom. As exciting as it was it was as a little nerve racking. The bathroom had 2 stalls and 3 urinals and normally every time I go in there it’s never busy. But not this time. This time I had to sit on the toilet for 10 minutes until it was empty in there so I could undo my tapes and change. Maybe it’ll get easier in time but for my first time it just took for ever. And I was so nervous carrying my blue nru to the garage can. Hopefully it does get easier and smoother over time.

Reactions: Lostdiapersboy
diaperman36 said:
I know two days ago I did my first change in a public restroom. As exciting as it was it was as a little nerve racking. The bathroom had 2 stalls and 3 urinals and normally every time I go in there it’s never busy. But not this time. This time I had to sit on the toilet for 10 minutes until it was empty in there so I could undo my tapes and change. Maybe it’ll get easier in time but for my first time it just took for ever. And I was so nervous carrying my blue nru to the garage can. Hopefully it does get easier and smoother over time.
Yes… murphys law says that a restroom that is normally empty will become grand central terminal as soon as you get in the stall and ready to change your diaper.

I once had to change at a McD’s on the Kansas tollway. Handicapped stall was empty… as soon as i start changing, somebody in a wheelchair comes in. I apologized as i walked out with my wrapped up diaper.

Reactions: Lostdiapersboy
ltaluv said:

I'm incontinent and sometimes I have BM accidents. I use internal deodorants (like Nullo or something like chlorophyll)). It's rare during the day but I also keep some plastic bags (Bos bags [Amazon] and they seal the odors) in my diaper bag. You should always keep your supplies in you diaper bag.

Back