Those with Sensitive Sniffers: How do You Deal with Odours/Smells?

LilDawson

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
Hey, hoping some folks here with sensitive sniffers (even those "nose blind" folks are welcome to chime in) can offer some advice on keeping things smelling nice and fresh. Prior to actually joining, I had read a few things on here (such as maintaining good hydration, keeping one's diaper area shaved, using baking soda when disposing, airing the house out, etc), but just wondering if anyone can offer some additional information; I'm in Ontario, Canada - mentioning since there may be cleaners that work well, but not easily/readily available to me - and would be wonderful if specific cleaners can be recommended!

One thing that I can think of off the top that's particularly specific: what can be used when it comes to laundry and cleaning clothes (both "babyish" and regular) so as to avoid any unwanted smells remaining behind in the machines; are there any specific laundry detergents - I've original Tide hygienic clean heavy 10x duty - that work really well? Another I can think to ask: what kinds of cleaning products tend to be good for dealing with smells and not just "masking" them for a while; used lemon Lysol power & fresh multi-surface to pretty much clean the whole place a couple days back and there may possibly be a lingering odour still. Finally, anything for fabrics and such (like carpets, chairs, etc) - anything like that powder sprinkled on carpets and then vacuumed, perhaps?

While the above are my primary concerns, feel free to add more and not be limited by my specific criteria above. After all, there may be others who stumble across this and can benefit from it! (y)

Reactions: oldskool and Edgewater
Dealing with IC every day im sure im nose blind
of course I smell it but probably not like others could.
I use baby powder & change frequently
I user odor blocking garbage bags which are emptied every day to the garage bin
any accidents aka leaks are thrown in the wash soon as possible.
I use an odor absorber air freshener in the bathroom & laundry room
helps quite well

Reactions: LilDawson and Edgewater
If you are wearing disposable, buy the best quality you can afford as the better the diaper the better it holds the urine /stool in the diaper.
Wear plastic pants (diaper cover) to help control leaks and odder.
Change to a time schedule more than a wet schedule helps to reduce leaks.
Stool gets change ASAP with wapping the diaper in a plastic bag and placing in the trash bag. Some days multiple trashing out of the larger bag.

Being a clean freak helps as diapers leak. Only a fool thinks their diaper does not leak.

Assure your bed has a full bed protective (plastic) cover and that under the wearer use washable pads between the wearer and the lower sheet.
Use disposable or washable seat covering and change or wash regularly!

If you have a front load style washer, clean the door and the seal after each wash and the tank emergency drain at least monthly!
Use the Manufacturers tank cleaner at least every other month, FYI: leave the front door open anytime it is not in use.

Washing cloth diapers is a detailed discussion in itself.

FYI: Avoid fabric-softener on anything that comes in contact with your diaper or its contents.

Invoke a clearing rutine and stay with it.

We use a full home air exchange system that connects with our heating cooling system and runs year around.
Change your Heating Cooling system filters regularly.

Welcome to the wonderful, crazy World of IC!

Last edited:
Reactions: SparkyDog, Zeke and LilDawson
Sounds like a lot of what you are doing should cover the scent ground pretty well. Some helpful things that pop into me head at the moment:
  • The more sealed a disposal bin you have, the better. I would recommend one of the diaper receptacles specifically designed for adult incontinence briefs.
  • Keep the disposal and the diaper exposed laundry in the bathroom in a hamper. Bathrooms are the easiest places for those odors to be controlled, full of hard surfaces and easily cleaned.
  • Take out the diaper trash at least every 3rd day, if not every other day. Also wash the babyish clothes on the same schedule. The odors tend to get stronger the longer they remain uncleaned, so its best to stay on top of it
  • Waterproof mattress protector, and wash your sheets twice a week as opposed to weekly. Also wash any other bedding regularly.
  • Wash with Tide, Oxi-clean, and Borax to get things super clean
  • Clean the bathroom with bathroom cleaner containing bleach, and clean the inside of the receptacle with said cleaner regularly, as well as the outside.
  • Use an air freshener in the bathroom to mask any lingering odors

Reactions: Edgewater, LilDawson, TigerDL and 2 others
Edgewater said:
If you have a front load style washer, clean the door and the seal after each wash and the tank emergency drain at least monthly!
Use the Manufacturers tank cleaner at least every other month, FYI: leave the front door open anytime it is not in use.
Do this with all washers, def leave the door open to avoid mildew. And do perform a Google search on how to properly clean out your washing machine; almost everyone neglects this, but it really makes a dramatic difference.

Reactions: Edgewater, LilDawson, TigerDL and 1 other person
Back