Those with chronic constipation or med induced constipation have you ever taken linzess? Or taken it for other reasons like GP?

Diaperman95

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I am a long time chronic pain meds user as well as having IBS and gastroparesis. I was just using mirlax for the last 3 or 4 years but in the last year switched to linzess. I do still need to take miralax a few times a week and often the two will over result and I have bad loose stool. But if I do not take something I stop up and once my colon stops my stomach stops moving and I get stupid sick. I am up to the max dose of linzess and I feel it has helped a lot. But I do read many mixed reviews on it making people have a hard time holding their poop and or making them feel sick. Stomach wise it helps me a lot. It has been used off label to help GP for a while now too. It is not cheap but thankfully my insurance does cover it. My doctor felt mogerity would work best as it has been used to treat GP off label too and has somewhat good reviews. But it is even more stupid expensive and my insurance will not pay. Linzess in the max dose WO insurance is about $800 a month and motegerty is double that. Stupid we live in a world with so much medical help but most can not afford.

Sorry to hear about the issues. I’m finding duloxetine (which I take off label for neuro issues) has caused constipation big time. At first I was pleased as it decreased bowel IC issues but I’m finding when I do have a bowel movement after being clogged up my stomach is crazy and it becomes IBS-D for a while.

I’ve got a consult in a couple of weeks and I’ll bring it up. My default position is IBS-M though so trying workarounds for either C or D just seems to make it swing the other way.

I get constipation from my pain meds sometimes. When that happens. I mix 2 spoons of empsom salt in a glass of warm water. In a few hours im clear. Trick is not to wait a few days before doing this. Or you will be going for 12 hours lol.

Oh for the love of god don't take that crap. I kid you not you will go from no go to omg in 2 hours. Had IBS-C most of my life and I tried linzess for a week and yeaaaaa you can keep that mess. I did try Amitiza once as well and it was okish but gave it up as well but would do it again. Now I just use doculax and it works wonders and is cheep if you get the mega pack off Amazon. When I feel I am getting bloated or haven't gone enough in past few day I will take 1 and normally clears it right up. If I am super backed up take 2 and feel great after. They do take about 6-8 hours to kick in so pop one with lunch and wham bam thank you mam.

Reactions: Diaperman95 and BigAl2
shannara6767 said:
Oh for the love of god don't take that crap. I kid you not you will go from no go to omg in 2 hours. Had IBS-C most of my life and I tried linzess for a week and yeaaaaa you can keep that mess. I did try Amitiza once as well and it was okish but gave it up as well but would do it again. Now I just use doculax and it works wonders and is cheep if you get the mega pack off Amazon. When I feel I am getting bloated or haven't gone enough in past few day I will take 1 and normally clears it right up. If I am super backed up take 2 and feel great after. They do take about 6-8 hours to kick in so pop one with lunch and wham bam thank you mam.
I have been using it almost a year. I still have to take mirlax a few times a week. If I don.t go everyday I take mirlax that evening with linzess. GP is just way way worse than fecal IC. I had to take mirlax last night too and this morning I woke to a dirty mega max. But at least I am not throwing up. But you are by far not the first person to tell me that it works too good on them. It has helped a lot with the GP.

Myself, i try to use a little drugs as i can, if i'm backed up, i usually use an enema to get results, yes i currently hae 13 scripts all the time that i already have to do, but right now that is down from18 a few months back (like 6) so going the right way.

Think about this, back before all these drugs people still from one reason or another got backed up, and back then the old enema worked just fine, and has for as far as i know 1000's of years so far.

I know it's not a fun process, but it's also not that big a deal if tou have the right gear and experiance, taken me like 15min to do an enema, sometimes 30-45 if reall bad, but in all reality it's a quick and drug free way to fix a stuck colon and get things moving, and usually ok for several days after myself, but then things usually go awry again and well, gotta get thngs moving again.

But, IMHO the less drugs you put in your body the better, I even take usually less than the full amount of pain meds if i can, albeit from time to time gotta go one over as well after like a fall on the stairs, but overall usually leftovers at the end of the month. Not something i'd do on things like for my kidneys or other things, but if you can take less drugs, please do, i cannot beleive that the drugs overall are the best things to be in the body (yes they are needed for one reason or another) and the body usually has some reaction or is hard to rid them.

I used Linzess for quite a while, and it helped me a lot. I never got a formal diagnosis for my constipation - I've been told it was IBS-C, proximal constipation from inflammation in my colon due to UC, and that it was a side effect of some of my other meds, but they never really got it nailed down. I found it very hard to get my gastroenterologist to take constipation very seriously, since after 25+ years of UC he was just happy that I wasn't having chronic diarrhea anymore. The thing is, the constipation was just as painful and disruptive to my life as the diarrhea had been.

I quit taking the Linzess once my colon was removed, since constipation is not something I'll ever have to deal with again.

Bigbabybret said:
Myself, i try to use a little drugs as i can, if i'm backed up, i usually use an enema to get results, yes i currently hae 13 scripts all the time that i already have to do, but right now that is down from18 a few months back (like 6) so going the right way.

Think about this, back before all these drugs people still from one reason or another got backed up, and back then the old enema worked just fine, and has for as far as i know 1000's of years so far.

I know it's not a fun process, but it's also not that big a deal if tou have the right gear and experiance, taken me like 15min to do an enema, sometimes 30-45 if reall bad, but in all reality it's a quick and drug free way to fix a stuck colon and get things moving, and usually ok for several days after myself, but then things usually go awry again and well, gotta get thngs moving again.

I was supposed to had a colonoscopy a few weeks ago, but do to my newly diagnosed endocarditis I am on a lot of blood thinners and Iv antibiotics and can not have it done for at least 6 weeks. But when I do get it done I plan on asking her about that Peristeen Plus Transanal Irrigation System. It is stupid expensive but my insurance is pretty damn good. That and like I had said linzess is not any cheaper. I am not counting all my meds because it depresses me but I am pretty close. I think it is around 14. Some I can't be without some I do not want to be without. it sux to get old and have health issues

Reactions: Bigbabybret
Back