The Catch 22 of Urge IC

Eclectic

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
I've had bladder and bowel urgency my entire life. Over the years, my mom and doctors have sometimes asked me "do you need to go the bathroom?" I always thought this was a silly, nonsensical question. If I needed to go to the bathroom, I would either be heading there, already there, or already have wet or messy diapers/pants. That pretty much sums up my life with my bladder and bowels. They are either switched on or they are not.

As I've said on this site many times, incontinence (IC) is a result of a disorder, disease, injury or genetic defect. It is a symptom of something that is not functioning normally. In my case, it is a symptom of faulty nerve signals. The catch 22 of my urge IC, which means the situation that feels like you are stuck in with no way out, is two-fold for me.

If I drink fluids regularly (which in my case is mostly water), I constantly wet and it is impossible to live my life undiapered. I get a sudden urge and a second later, I am peeing. If I dehydrate myself, I am susceptible to getting kidney stones and other unforeseen health impacts, but I actually have a chance to make it to the bathroom because my bladder fills much more slowly.

My bowels are less predictable. However, I try to avoid all the foods which I know cause my IBS to flare. And, even more importantly, I regularly take extra fiber. The later keeps me from having constant pain in my bowels and helps me avoid colon cancer, which is extremely prevalent in my family. However, the extra fiber also means I poop more and I am susceptible to a lot more messes in my diaper.

I have had these same conversations with my doctors and I know there are people that would rather die than wear diapers full time. Not surprisingly, I am not one of those folks. I've become so used to wearing them over the years that wet and messy diapers are absolutely normal for me and, in my situation, the healthier way out of the catch 22.

Reactions: Diprs2, OnePiece and Napincolove
I know what you mean. I wet in my sleep here and there. I just don't wake up if I have to go anymore.

I could probably avoid it completely if I did a routine of not drinking past a certain time, but I'd rather wake up wet than so thirsty and with my mouth so dry it feels like I was eating sand in my sleep.

Reactions: Diprs2
I am fortunate that most of the time I get about 30 seconds to get to a toilet pull down the front of me Nappy and wee, if I am outside in the workshop then it is impossible to get to the toilet in time so a Nappy is the only answer, sometimes I might also get the urge for a #2 and that has next to no warning time and within seconds my worst fear is confirmed so I have to try to be as regular as possible every day and 'routine' is key, yes routine is boring and not always possible but it is safe meaning no unpleasantness in ones Nappy!
I do not regulate what I drink as that just makes life unpleasant so a wet Napy is just a wet Nappy and part of my life.

Reactions: Diprs2 and NappiedTruckDriver
Eclectic said:
If I drink fluids regularly (which in my case is mostly water), I constantly wet and it is impossible to live my life undiapered. I get a sudden urge and a second later, I am peeing. If I dehydrate myself, I am susceptible to getting kidney stones and other unforeseen health impacts, but I actually have a chance to make it to the bathroom because my bladder fills much more slowly.

Same. I’ve mastered the art of social dehydration. I find consequences of restricting water, the concentrated urine, is an irritation that triggers issues. Always a balance of wax on, wax off, so to speak.

Eclectic said:
I have had these same conversations with my doctors and I know there are people that would rather die than wear diapers full time. Not surprisingly, I am not one of those folks. I've become so used to wearing them over the years that wet and messy diapers are absolutely normal for me and, in my situation, the healthier way out of the catch 22.

Same-ish. Diapers or protection forever is hard to accept many moments/times.

Reactions: Diprs2
Back