Tax advice

Jbo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Is anyone a tax expert or tax attorney here? I need some advice for claiming some dental work next year

• Sad
Reactions: Edgewater
Have you been filing long form for the last five years and have been listing your medical expenses, which include dental expenses? If so, you likely have noted that with the ever increasing reduction in line item deductions. Since you are asking for advice, you have likely been filing short form and that means you likely have not used an accountant.

If you have been using an accountant, set-up a meeting and take in your income, insurance cost and your other deductions, plus medical expanses to date for their pre-end of year review.

Unless you are of high-income status, a tax attorney will not see you. So, you likely will need to see an accountant. They may complete a quick check of your project income this year and your estimated medical costs, less insurance coverage to see if you are even close.

I file turbo tax and I’m middle income I had veneers put in in March and insurance doesn’t cover them . I was told that it is tax deductible cause it is considered medical.
I just don’t want to red flag myself and come under an audit.
I was wondering why you gave my post a sad face, I wasn’t trying to be rude. Sometimes it’s hard interpreting people’s reaction on line , sorry if I misunderstood your emoji 😁

I left a sad face based of the reality that so many are facing when it comes to taxes, i.e. our Government is attempting to take every penny we get and put it in their pockets. I am 75, retired and still paying taxes.

Yes, Veneers are deductible, but the combined medical deduction is a high bar to hit. I hope you are success in getting some relief. Ask several friends or cohorts if they use an accountant and call and ask.

It is not uncommon to include an explanation when one has a large increase /decrease in their deductions, so expect that your filing will be held and reviewed. Anytime, one shifts outside of a given percentage of their normal income or deductions, it is an automatic Red Flag. Nothing to be fearful of as it is just standard practice of the IRS. My dear wife and I have filed long form all our adult life after graduation of university. We prepare our novel (document packet) every year and have our accountant complete the many forms and electronically file them. At least we have come to a point, that we no long have to file quarterly.

Edgewater said:
I left a sad face based of the reality that so many are facing when it comes to taxes, i.e. our Government is attempting to take every penny we get and put it in their pockets. I am 75, retired and still paying taxes.

Yes, Veneers are deductible, but the combined medical deduction is a high bar to hit. I hope you are success in getting some relief. Ask several friends or cohorts if they use an accountant and call and ask.

It is not uncommon to include an explanation when one has a large increase /decrease in their deductions, so expect that your filing will be held and reviewed. Anytime, one shifts outside of a given percentage of their normal income or deductions, it is an automatic Red Flag. Nothing to be fearful of as it is just standard practice of the IRS. My dear wife and I have filed long form all our adult life after graduation of university. We prepare our novel (document packet) every year and have our accountant complete the many forms and electronically file them. At least we have come to a point, that we no long have to file quarterly.
Ok thank you for your advice edgewater

Back