Talking

Zeke said:
Discussing my incontinence and resulting 24/7 diaper wearing has become easier since becoming a member on ADISC and posting about it here. While the folks here have a better understanding and are more empathetic the experience still translates to some extent. I don’t have any personal dating or relationship experience to compare but it’s made me more open in general to talking about the diaper aspects of incontinence so I’m sure it will help when (not if, but WHEN) I’m in a relationship. The ic and 24/7 diapered revelation to a woman in my life doesn’t scare me as much as just the dating aspect since it’s something that I haven’t done in a third of a century. Well, it’s officially a new year so it’s time for a change in my relationship status so happy new year and wish me luck in finding a lady to date.
Good luck!!!

Reactions: AttilaThePun and Zeke
things are pretty open here with me. family and friends all know i incontinent and wear diapers. No secret there and i don't worry about what others think. the fact that i am in a diaper isn't much of a conversation, and not one i have with others on a regular basis unless someone asks a question or two than i openly answer them. being in a diaper isn't shameful or embarrassing so i have no problem talking about it and sharing advise with anyone or getting advise. being incontinent is no different from discussing any medical and /or mental health issue i tend to be very open about should the topic come up. what i share and to what degree of sharing depends on the person and how well i know the person. not everyone needs to know my life story (LOL). My continence is mainly a topic only when someone is acting in a supportive role as in checking in with me (sort of like are you doing okay). if that makes senses. As far as medical professionals: doctors, nurses, aids, hospitals, therapist, etc i speak freely about being incontinent and everything else for it is best they know everything that is important so that i can treated properly. i guess it is all about your comfort level in what you wish to share about yourself with others. being incontinent and wearing a diaper isn't embarrassing or shameful just part of life for some.

Reactions: LordDuque
When I was a teenager, I’d only tell someone anything about it if I was backed into a corner (and maybe one boy I liked ugh), as an adult it’s still never a preferred topic of conversation, even with friends who know. That’s what makes places like this special!

Reactions: EcoIncon
weethepeople said:
G'day all. How easy is it for you to discuss your own incontinence with others outside family ? For a long time it was very difficult for me and caused me more problems I'd suggest over time . For a long time I never told anybody and basically suffered in silence unless I brought it up at the occasional doctor visit firstly on Mum's insistence while she was still with us .
Since I've been on my own (1990) for a long time nothing changed.. One day in 2016 my neighbour invited me over for a regular cup of tea and during the conversation she was talking about her depression battle . During the talk Kate said that her doctor put her on anti depressants early on and all she got out of it was a bit of bedwetting ..She shocked me how easily she told me that . Before I realized I blurted out that I was a bedwetter too and still was . I told her about my circumstances over probably half an hour . She was a great listener and I suddenly understood and recalled the old saying ..A problem shared is a problem halved .
Then she hoed into me a bit and made me promise to start seeking medical help again . I soon organized a visit to the continence clinic at out local hospital and a few follow up appointment or two over the next year ..Same thing there and the continence nurse I had was like Kate and talked openly and honestly , gave me things to do including lifestyle and diet changes and a visit to a urologist in 2017.
Since then a close friend at work . She suggested that I talk to our supervisor just in case I have an accident at work and need to deal with it . I had a PDP meeting with her soon after that and ended up telling her after that finished . I do carry stuff to work these days as a back up . Only needed it once so far.
Love to know how you all sit with talking to both family and non family about your incontinence issues . Not taking full page ads about mine but suggest its not a bad thing to share issues with the right people eh !...Cheers..
For a real long time I couldn't and wouldn't discuss this with anyone else where as today I am relatively open about it. I don't bring it up but when asked I don't hide anything. I'd prefer not to discuss this but over the past couple years I've been asked about different products, treatments etc. and these are all close, personal friends so in that light, I have no problems discussing these issues.

Reactions: CheshireCat, EcoIncon and Edgewater
I
Joeysms said:
things are pretty open here with me. family and friends all know i incontinent and wear diapers. No secret there and i don't worry about what others think. the fact that i am in a diaper isn't much of a conversation, and not one i have with others on a regular basis unless someone asks a question or two than i openly answer them. being in a diaper isn't shameful or embarrassing so i have no problem talking about it and sharing advise with anyone or getting advise. being incontinent is no different from discussing any medical and /or mental health issue i tend to be very open about should the topic come up. what i share and to what degree of sharing depends on the person and how well i know the person. not everyone needs to know my life story (LOL). My continence is mainly a topic only when someone is acting in a supportive role as in checking in with me (sort of like are you doing okay). if that makes senses. As far as medical professionals: doctors, nurses, aids, hospitals, therapist, etc i speak freely about being incontinent and everything else for it is best they know everything that is important so that i can treated properly. i guess it is all about your comfort level in what you wish to share about yourself with others. being incontinent and wearing a diaper isn't embarrassing or shameful just part of life for some.
I agree 100%. It’s about your comfort level as you say, and how confident and self secure you are.

Reactions: Joeysms and Edgewater
Back