Talking like a toddler? (Like a toddler accent...?)

JaysonTheRegressor

DNI if NSFW
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
  6. Incontinent
  7. Other
I wanna learn how to speak more like a toddler, does anyone know any good videos on how to learn how?

I dont know of any videos but you can refer to the source. If you can imagine how they sound, im sure with some practice you can replicate it. For me I just fell into it. I didn't really try at first but when I'm in little space it sorta just comes out.

I work with young children so here is my advice.

1) Use simple and short sentences. Little ones often don't realise that adults don't know what they're thinking. That's usually why you get lots of follow up questions and probing on the adult's part to try and understand what the little one means. Be ambiguous!

2) Make up names for things. Kids will often use their knowledge of other things to incorrectly come up with names for things they don't know.
Some examples: the back of your knees = leg pits (from arm pits), Boo Boo truck, (Ambulance), Hand Socks (Gloves), Water bricks (Ice cubes).

3) Kids struggle with irregular verbs and tenses.
Went = I goed
Using mine instead of my. Mine house is big.
Pay / bought = Buyed
Brought = Bringed Brunged.
There are loads of others!

4) Keep saying a name until you get attention. Most adults will give up and know to try again when the person isn't busy but a kid will keep trying no matter what.

5) Turn off your offense filter. Kids will happily say "Him old .... she fat," and not even consider it could be offensive.

Reactions: JaysonTheRegressor
ME Katie ME love talk. ME go potty in diaper, but mommy wants big girl potty. Mommy get bike soon.

You kind of have to think of what a toddler would say in different situations

Another thing to consider is the difficulty in properly articulating certain phonemes; this is the reason why at a certain age they might ask to "pway" instead of "play". There are a number of resources about this phenomenon available.
In terms of learning words, there's an interesting observation that initially children may learn improper verb tenses and plurals correctly (went instead of goed, children not childs) because they don't connect the word to its base form. As they get better at understanding proper inflection, they'll start using the "incorrect" forms because they're applying the broader rule (e.g., past tense is 1st person present + ed). Later still they gain the concept of irregular forms and again return to the "correct" word.
And, yes, while still acquiring vocabulary, children are quite prone to creating words for items/concepts they don't already have a word for. Have fun with that.

PurpleScorpion said:
I was shocked when I learned that you were supposed to have your first words by 12 months. I supposedly didn't talk until 18 months. Yet I never realized that I learned how to talk slow. I'm on the spectrum though.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Use voice and body emphasis. Like, hold your arms wide open when you say "I have a huuuuuge teddy bear!" 🧸 ...or jump a bit when you talk about puddles, kangaroos and the like. Or "I saw a huuuuuuge lion, RRRAAAWWWR!!!" Toddlers love to be verbally and physically dramatic. 🥰🤭🍼

And for extra-cuteness points, make sure you're in a t-shirt and wet diaper while you do it. 🤭🥰

• Love
Reactions: ronnieM, Rezzu and Weatheronthe8s
Weatheronthe8s said:
I was shocked when I learned that you were supposed to have your first words by 12 months. I supposedly didn't talk until 18 months. Yet I never realized that I learned how to talk slow. I'm on the spectrum though.
It's okay, fearest thou not. My oldest granddaughter, who has autism, was nonverbal until almost 4...now, she can't stop talking, LOL! Meh, making up for lost time... *shrug*

Last edited:
Reactions: Weatheronthe8s
BobbiSueEllen said:
It's okay, fearest thou not. My oldest granddaughter, who has autism, was nonverbal until almost 4...now, she can't stop talking, LOL!
Yeah. I eventually gained my speaking skills too. I was just slow at it. I was considered barely verbal until I was around that age. I had to go to speech therapy to stop pointing at everything. The weird thing is though is I don't remember not talking. I don't know if it just depended on the scenario or what. Now I can talk better though and have been able to since I was a kid.

My older cousins tell me I never actually talked like a toddler when I was a toddler, but I think I do fairly well when I'm being babysat. For me, the key is to shut off the 'grownup' portion of my thinking and relate to my nanny and everything around me in an almost nonverbal way. I don't think I've ever been verbally or physically 'dramatic,' as BobbiSueEllen notes toddlers are wont to do. But I do become shy, almost silent and very uncomfortable initiating conversation. I cry to get attention. That's probably as close to 'talking like a toddler' as I'll ever get.

Reactions: Weatheronthe8s and BobbiSueEllen
sbmccue said:
...as BobbiSueEllen notes toddlers are wont to do.
Brownie Points for using the word "wont". Word Powah!!! 🥳

Last edited:
Reactions: Weatheronthe8s
Pronounce "o" sounds like "aw".

I gotta go potty becomes "I gawta gaw pawty."

BobbiSueEllen said:
Use voice and body emphasis. Like, hold your arms wide open when you say "I have a huuuuuge teddy bear!" 🧸 ...or jump a bit when you talk about puddles, kangaroos and the like. Or "I saw a huuuuuuge lion, RRRAAAWWWR!!!" Toddlers love to be verbally and physically dramatic. 🥰🤭🍼

And for extra-cuteness points, make sure you're in a t-shirt and wet diaper while you do it. 🤭🥰
🤣

Wish I could talk little sometimes but it will never be able to. I couldn't talk to I was 5 (so technically I missed the toddler speaking stage anyway 😪😆) I have had a speech impediment all my life which should go towards toddler speech in a way. However, I have what I each getting told as a deep gravely/rough voice. Multiple times I have been accused of raising my voice, being pissed off with someone, or as one chap told me, having a dull, one tone and boring voice. A charming bloke that was, damn Welshy 🤣😂. So yeah, I have tried but it fails every time.

i have a list

replace Rs and Ls with Ws make the sentince short maybe 5 words long

this= dis
that=dat
them-dem
they= dey
there" der
want to=wanna
want= wan
best=bestest

for example: i wan dat toy twain

avoid big words also so keep all the wording simple

Last edited:
Fangs said:
i have a list

replace Rs and Ls with Ws make the sentince short maybe 5 words long

this= dis
that=dat
them-dem
they= dey
there" der
want to=wanna
want= wan
best=bestest

for example: i wan dat toy twain

avoid big words also so keep all the wording simple
There is a Wikipedia article that covers the r to w change that you’re talking about here
Rhotacism_(speech_impediment). But as someone who has difficulty with the letter r myself in real life I suspect that pronouncing r this way is a habit that one might want to think twice before acquiring.

I have difficulty with my rs because I was born prematurely and there were some complications. I’m still trying to pronounce my rs correctly more than four decades later without much success. People notice how I say my rs and it could effect hiring decisions.

For example, I’m thinking of becoming a network engineer (if possible) but even if I manage to get all the relevant routing, switching, and related certifications what are the odds that I will be able to get a job in network engineering or network design if I can’t even pronounce “computer”, “network”, or “internet”?

For me, I have a "little voice" which is vaguely toddler-ish, but I don't try to follow any sort of vocal guidelines or authenticity because I feel that trying to be mindful of such things as speech ultimately distracts and detracts from age regression. I just trust what naturally comes out of my mouth when I'm regressing, and I find that it's kind of a mumbly stutter spoken from the front of my mouth. I have no idea if it's what an actual toddler sounds like, but it certainly puts me in the right mindset.

Reactions: ProTricycleRacer
I gots a huuuuuuuuuge Teddy beaw! Just as physically dramatically as BSE said.

Daddy, it wain an' fundew! I dweamed scawy dweam bout fiwowks, an' waked up, an' it fundew!

Fooey, fundew! Go 'way! Shoo! I count 'til oo go 'way!

I wan soup fow dinnew.

Whewe's oo goin?

Ooh, look! She gots so much stuffs! She gotts pink stuffs, an purple stuffs, and soft stuffs, and spawkly stuffs, an ohhhh, so much stuffs, because she got a Little's subscwipachin box! I wan a Little's subscwipachin box!

SpAzpieSweeTot said:
I gots a huuuuuuuuuge Teddy beaw! Just as physically dramatically as BSE said.

Daddy, it wain an' fundew! I dweamed scawy dweam bout fiwowks, an' waked up, an' it fundew!

Fooey, fundew! Go 'way! Shoo! I count 'til oo go 'way!

I wan soup fow dinnew.

Whewe's oo goin?

Ooh, look! She gots so much stuffs! She gotts pink stuffs, an purple stuffs, and soft stuffs, and spawkly stuffs, an ohhhh, so much stuffs, because she got a Little's subscwipachin box! I wan a Little's subscwipachin box!

ME play toys good, but want color bad but mommy said get bike but me want doll but mommy said go by-by soon and have bottle and my baba go barefoot too and color

Back