Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

Fleetwoodmac32192

#AutisticDiaperedAndProud
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
So out of curiosity, I was wondering if I wasn't the only one who takes fiber with miralax? For me I do it in the morning after waking up around the time I have breakfast. My doctor prescribed miralax, and I added fiber.

My doctor suggested to use a fiber supplement. I've been using Metamucil (psyllium husk) for years. I do remember when I first used Miralax. All what happened was that I ended having loose stool (not quite diarrhea). Psyllium was easier (solid but softer). I've been IC since I was a kid. In the beginning I wasn't having regular BM's. I have almost zero control. Sometimes constipated or loose stool. With Metamucil it bulked my BM's and helped me become more regular. Now I typically have a large BM when sleeping during the night and/or the morning. I rarely have accidents during the day. If there was any problem is that I usually have larger BM's. But it's really not an issue as they mostly happen at night and/or the early morning.

Reactions: Fleetwoodmac32192
CrossfireHurricane said:
My doctor suggested to use a fiber supplement. I've been using Metamucil (psyllium husk) for years. I do remember when I first used Miralax. All what happened was that I ended having loose stool (not quite diarrhea). Psyllium was easier (solid but softer). I've been IC since I was a kid. In the beginning I wasn't having regular BM's. I have almost zero control. Sometimes constipated or loose stool. With Metamucil it bulked my BM's and helped me become more regular. Now I typically have a large BM when sleeping during the night and/or the morning. I rarely have accidents during the day. If there was any problem is that I usually have larger BM's. But it's really not an issue as they mostly happen at night and/or the early morning.
I've had chronic constipation since childhood and I had a really bad impaction, so I try to make myself go or accept the urge even if it's an accident in my protection. Thanks for sharing!

The two are kinda used for opposite things. Increaseing fiber firms your poop up and is often suggested by doctors for people with regular loose stool. Where miralax does the opposite and makes your bowel draw in water and soften the stool. I can not imagine many doctors recommending them together.

I use miralax and linzess for constipation. Linzess is pretty stupid expensive without insurance. Like 700bucks for 30 pills. I am on the max dose of 290mg. Then I still need to take miralax a couple times a week.

I have gastroparesis and the tiniest constipation will set off a gastroparesis flare. So I keep my stool moving. But I have a hard time holding it so I am often fighting loose stools of my own doing. But it is better than throwing up all day

Diaperman95 said:
The two are kinda used for opposite things. Increaseing fiber firms your poop up and is often suggested by doctors for people with regular loose stool. Where miralax does the opposite and makes your bowel draw in water and soften the stool. I can not imagine many doctors recommending them together.

I use miralax and linzess for constipation. Linzess is pretty stupid expensive without insurance. Like 700bucks for 30 pills. I am on the max dose of 290mg. Then I still need to take miralax a couple times a week.

I have gastroparesis and the tiniest constipation will set off a gastroparesis flare. So I keep my stool moving. But I have a hard time holding it so I am often fighting loose stools of my own doing. But it is better than throwing up all day

Yeah having chronic constipation with accidents was difficult when I was younger without any protection. I would soil myself at night while sleeping and not notice until I smelled it. Glad I don't have to constantly hold it in for the toilet when I'm able to wear. Medicaid covers my miralax and protective underwear. I poop my protective underwear almost every morning when I wake up, and try to get to the restroom the rest of the day. If I had more privacy I would consider using my protective underwear 24/7 without the toilet as often.

Reactions: Diaperman95
Fiber is interesting. It firms up loose stools by absorbing excess water, but it also softens hard stools by retaining more water in the stool. By tending to form a soft, squishy mass, it helps get stools from either end of the spectrum (hard and dry, or loose and watery) to a soft, squishy consistency, too.

When I used to take fiber and miralax, my doctor suggested that I take them at separate times. He said that the fiber would tend to undermine the effects of the miralax. I tried it both ways, and it didn't seem to make much of a difference to me.

Now that I don't have a colon or rectum, I take fiber to help prevent liquid output, which is otherwise a daily problem. It seems to help.

• Wow
Reactions: Diaperman95 and Fleetwoodmac32192
F-IC is a symptom of a medical condition (like diarrhea and constipation or both together). So when I was young I experienced both. From that I was never "regular" which means I was never on a schedule.
ltaluv said:
it helps get stools from either end of the spectrum (hard and dry, or loose and watery) to a soft, squishy consistency, too.
Of course it does help with absorbing water. But it also helps with bulking the stool. I don't have extreme squishing poop. With my healthy diet, exercise and adding psyllium husk, I experience solid stool. Not firm, hard or loose. With everything together and follow my schedule, it's better to predict when it might happen. I still have little or no control (pelvic floor dysfunction with weak external sphincter). With all of this I'm also U-IC. So I've always been diaper dependent. All I can do is to prevent loose stool or constipation. I've found that Metamucil (psyllium husk) helps my IC.

I remember a few years ago when I was fiber loading, taking 5 pills in the morning with water and trying to balance staying hydrated. I wasn't taking miralax as often at the time, but I remember how my BMs were much larger without as much strain or pain but it felt harder to hold back. It felt a lot easier to go without pushing as much, it was very comforting to go in my protection. Hopefully I can do that routine again soon when I'm able to buy more fiber. Glad I'm going when I feel the urge and not holding it in to the point of chronic constipation and impaction.

Fleetwoodmac32192 said:
I remember a few years ago when I was fiber loading, taking 5 pills in the morning with water and trying to balance staying hydrated. I wasn't taking miralax as often at the time, but I remember how my BMs were much larger without as much strain or pain but it felt harder to hold back. It felt a lot easier to go without pushing as much, it was very comforting to go in my protection. Hopefully I can do that routine again soon when I'm able to buy more fiber. Glad I'm going when I feel the urge and not holding it in to the point of chronic constipation and impaction.
I can't stand to poop myself. It makes me so mad. Especially when it happens in my sleep and I don't realize. It will blow out all up my back side or like last Monday morning I woke up thinking I was wet and I just laid in bed several more hours. So I finally get up to go change and it was liquid poop and I had been on my stomach and it all came up the front size. My junk was covered in it. It caused a major infection and right now I am in the hospital with a kidney infection. So I don't recommend anyone intentionally pooping themself as it is hard on the skin as a well as it can cause urinary tract infection. Even on men.

• Sad
Diaperman95 said:
I can't stand to poop myself. It makes me so mad. Especially when it happens in my sleep and I don't realize. It will blow out all up my back side or like last Monday morning I woke up thinking I was wet and I just laid in bed several more hours. So I finally get up to go change and it was liquid poop and I had been on my stomach and it all came up the front size. My junk was covered in it. It caused a major infection and right now I am in the hospital with a kidney infection. So I don't recommend anyone intentionally pooping themself as it is hard on the skin as a well as it can cause urinary tract infection. Even on men.
Yeah loose stool is more difficult to clean up. Most of the time when I relieve the urge to go, it's because of the intensity being so strong it can't wait. It doesn't hurt or feel bad unless I'm trying to hold it. Thankfully I've had minimal rashes from changing as soon as I can.

CrossfireHurricane said:
Of course it does help with absorbing water. But it also helps with bulking the stool. I don't have extreme squishing poop. With my healthy diet, exercise and adding psyllium husk, I experience solid stool. I've found that Metamucil (psyllium husk) helps my IC.
It took sometime to get used to it. But as soon as I understood when and how many, I became way more "regular." And most of my BM's are fairly solid. Which helps with cleaning up. The stool doesn't spread and smear. At least most of the time. Just a big, solid load. No hard straining either. Obviously I have no idea of what happens when I'm sleeping but when I get up I can see what ocurred. And clean-up is easier. I rarely have a diaper rash but I'm sure I use a good ointment (zinc oxide). Of course it's a challenge to contain a pretty big load. When sleeping I always use a quality booster (NS Eternadry contour doubler) and plastic pants. Smell isn't that bad (chlorophyll). Since using this fiber supplement I can expect one or two BM's per day. And with my diet and my schedule, I don't have many daytime accidents.

I just bought the new MiraFiber gummies and the flavor is great! I'll update how it goes later on.

Back