Switching Cloth Diapers for Underwear

I learned the hard way at work tonight to make extra super-duper certain that none of the cloth is poking out. Anywhere. Not even a tiny bit.

Or EVERYTHING will leech out into your clothing. D:

I had a tiny bit of cloth poking out a leg hole on my cover and it was awful. D:

I think I might also need to add a booster to these Kins ones. I might have just literally let too much loose on it and it couldn't keep up. By the time I got home to change it was soaked from front to back almost.

On the bright side, I'll be able to let everyone know how they do in the wash soon.

Ok, waiting to hear how they wash up. Still waiting to get my Babykins in the mail. For now I’ve been wearing my prefold flats, which are a little bulky but super comfy. I’m hopeful the Babykins will be less bulky and fit under dress pants a little easier.

Little2Roo said:
Ok, waiting to hear how they wash up. Still waiting to get my Babykins in the mail. For now I’ve been wearing my prefold flats, which are a little bulky but super comfy. I’m hopeful the Babykins will be less bulky and fit under dress pants a little easier.

The one I washed came out very nice and soft. :3

It didn't shrink at all that I could tell, or if it did shrink it wasn't enough to make a very big difference for me.

I just used Dreft and the regular cycle on the washing machine.

Alright, just got my Babykins contour pre-fold diaper today. LOVE IT! Very comfy and doesn’t have all the bunching up of cloth between the thighs. I immediately ordered 2 more. Looks like I’ve found my new preferred underwear. I also ordered one of their night time thickness pre-folds. Will see how comfy that one is, too.

I've been told that the night-time thickness takes a while to dry, but I don't know. :3

I'll probably be ordering some more of these because I really really like them.

Cottontail said:
My favorite flats are the Caramel flats from Fruit of the Womb. They're for babies, but they're amazingly stretchy--like wearing an absorbent sheet of elastic! I have a 36" waist, and I can actually do the single-pin-in-front thing with these. (Did I mention they're for babies?!!) But I usually just stack two or three of them and put them on like a prefold. The stretchiness allows for all kinds of creative arrangements, and it also makes them extremely comfortable, because they conform to your shape like no other flat diaper can. I also like to turn the back edge in by an inch or two before pinning, to create a sort of waist band.

So if you're looking for a unique cloth diaper experience, and you like flats, and your waist is similar to mine (or smaller), give those a shot. They're available in a natural off-white color, or black! Needless to say, you'd want to order the Toddler 2 size. No reason to get anything smaller, anyway.
Hey Cottontail,

How do you fold the caramel flats to fit you? I have just ordered one to try based on your recommendations.

Bby said:
Hey Cottontail,

How do you fold the caramel flats to fit you? I have just ordered one to try based on your recommendations.
Eep! Not just one, surely. Remember, these are just 30x30" squares of cloth--one ply. You won't get any significant mileage out of just one unless you're a real baby. There just isn't enough absorbency. I usually use three diapers. I start by stacking two of them to create a double-thickness square. Then I tri-fold the third diaper and lie it down the middle, creating something that looks like a prefold. I then turn the back edge in by about two inches to create a waist band. Finally, I do an angle wing fold--again, just like a prefold--and pin it on. Very comfy and absorbent.

Reactions: WillFord384
Cottontail said:
Eep! Not just one, surely. Remember, these are just 30x30" squares of cloth--one ply. You won't get any significant mileage out of just one unless you're a real baby. There just isn't enough absorbency. I usually use three diapers. I start by stacking two of them to create a double-thickness square. Then I tri-fold the third diaper and lie it down the middle, creating something that looks like a prefold. I then turn the back edge in by about two inches to create a waist band. Finally, I do an angle wing fold--again, just like a prefold--and pin it on. Very comfy and absorbent.
Hi Cottontail,

I already have some 24” x 18” toddler size prefolds that I’m planning on using as the main absorbency, I was just looking to see what folds you recommend for the flat to create the main body of the diaper.

I’ll give the angel fold a try, any other folds you recommend trying?

Bby said:
Hi Cottontail,

I already have some 24” x 18” toddler size prefolds that I’m planning on using as the main absorbency, I was just looking to see what folds you recommend for the flat to create the main body of the diaper.

I’ll give the angel fold a try, any other folds you recommend trying?
I see. I think you may find just one to be unsatisfying in any case, but I look forward to your findings.

As for folds: Not really. Maybe the jelly roll. Even so-called "adult" flats, like the Purity ones from AdultClothDiaper.com, are too small to do the folds commonly used when diapering babies with flats--like the kite or the origami fold. You're basically stuck with the prefold folds, like the angel wing, jelly roll, etc.

Cottontail said:
I see. I think you may find just one to be unsatisfying in any case, but I look forward to your findings.

As for folds: Not really. Maybe the jelly roll. Even so-called "adult" flats, like the Purity ones from AdultClothDiaper.com, are too small to do the folds commonly used when diapering babies with flats--like the kite or the origami fold. You're basically stuck with the prefold folds, like the angel wing, jelly roll, etc.
Ah I see, I’ll give those a go, why do you think one will be unsatisfying?

Bby said:
Ah I see, I’ll give those a go, why do you think one will be unsatisfying?
Well, there's just not much material in one, so you may have to get more creative. In particular, with just one, you'll get maximum stretchiness, so the diaper may be prone to sliding down or slipping off. If the length allows, maybe roll the back edge inward or fold it over twice. That'll give you a good waistband.

For posterity, I'd say that two of these is sort of a practical minimum, and if you're after absorbency, then three, with one tri-folded down the middle of the other two. And always with the back edge folded in for a waistband. They're cool diapers, but they work a little different.

Last edited:
CuddleWoozle said:
I learned the hard way at work tonight to make extra super-duper certain that none of the cloth is poking out. Anywhere. Not even a tiny bit.

Or EVERYTHING will leech out into your clothing. D:

I had a tiny bit of cloth poking out a leg hole on my cover and it was awful. D:

I think I might also need to add a booster to these Kins ones. I might have just literally let too much loose on it and it couldn't keep up. By the time I got home to change it was soaked from front to back almost.

On the bright side, I'll be able to let everyone know how they do in the wash soon.
That’s both the pro and the con of cloth diapers….they wick moisture VERY efficiently! If every bit of them is covered by a waterproof pant you’re fine, if not your pants, furniture, bedding, car seat, or anything else that was dry that you’ve come into contact with is wet!

Last edited:
CuddleWoozle said:
I've been told that the night-time thickness takes a while to dry, but I don't know. :3

I'll probably be ordering some more of these because I really really like them.
That’s why it’s often easier to wear multiple diapers at night rather than one thick one. They’re easier to get clean in the wash and to dry afterwards. That’s also one of the problems with all-in-ones. They’re harder to get clean in the wash, to get dry, and if one of the components wears out the whole unit is shot. The plastic cover of an all-in-one often wears out before the absorbent portion, but you can always double up and wear another waterproof cover over it.

Reactions: WillFord384
Back