Sticky tape v. Hook and Loop

JonahAteAWhale

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Hiya! So what's your fave, sticky tape or hook and loop?

I love hook and loop, because although I secretly really want to poop my nappies and it almost happens loads of times, I like the security of knowing I can quickly undo my nappy and poop in a loo because I do not want to clean up the mess. Kinda gross thought. If we get robots though, I am going to poop in them too because the robot can deal with it.

However I also like sticky tape, because it's so secure, and I like my nappy tight enough to feel around my chubby belly but not too tight. But hook and loop as you're moving around can shift from perfect tightness to something else, and get caught on clothes and onesies too.

So my top two nappies: NRU St8up White for sticky tape and Incontrol Elite for Hook and Loop. But I can't decide which I prefer overall.

• Thinking
Reactions: Canadianfalls, artemisenterri and PadPhilosopher
I much prefer the hook and loop - just for readjustment and they typically are higher quality

Reactions: denimchicken, Canadianfalls, littledreamers333 and 2 others
Muhdeee said:
I much prefer the hook and loop - just for readjustment and they typically are higher quality
While Incontrol Hybrid Elite is basically hook and loop Pampers for grown ups, NRU Str8ups is sticky tape Pampers for grown ups. Also Tena Hook and Loop are some of the worst quality nappies I've ever tried, they feel ascerbic, the tabs don't stay, and they hold nothing much at all. It is not true that hook and loop is a sign of quality.

Reactions: TigerDL
Sticky tape hands down
Hook & loop always come off when im sleeping or lots of movement
Sticky stays in place perfectly for me

Reactions: NorthwestDiaperDude, artemisenterri and JonahAteAWhale
I prefer hook and loop. I can always readjust as necessary, I've had issues with sticky tapes, you really only get one good shot with those.

Reactions: Muhdeee, artemisenterri and JonahAteAWhale
PaddedLove said:
I prefer hook and loop. I can always readjust as necessary, I've had issues with sticky tapes, you really only get one good shot with those.
This is a good trick to get your one shot right: put your nappy on kneeling or lying on the bed. Get its position perfect, then attach the BOTTOM tab first. This will hold it in place round your legs and you can get the top tab to perfect tightness around your belly at leisure! I wish I had learned this many years ago. Maybe you do this already but learning this helped me so much.

Reactions: PaddedLove and SparkyDog
JonahAteAWhale said:
This is a good trick to get your one shot right: put your nappy on kneeling or lying on the bed. Get its position perfect, then attach the BOTTOM tab first. This will hold it in place round your legs and you can get the top tab to perfect tightness around your belly at leisure! I wish I had learned this many years ago. Maybe you do this already but learning this helped me so much.
I did eventually learn to do this, so the sticky tapes haven't really bothered me much these days thank goodness. But I appreciate the help! Hopefully others can learn the same! I do still prefer the hook and loop, I love the freedom and confidence knowing I can readjust if I need to.

Reactions: artemisenterri
PaddedLove said:
Even the ones advertised as "refastenable" tend to tear the plastic outer cover of the diaper, because so many brands didn't include a reinforced "landing zone" for the tapes...

Reactions: PaddedLove
artemisenterri said:
Even the ones advertised as "refastenable" tend to tear the plastic outer cover of the diaper, because so many brands didn't include a reinforced "landing zone" for the tapes...
I've had this issue as well. This really reinforced the idea of getting it perfect the first time. As I've gotten more practice I have figured out how to do this. This past week I've been wearing some PeekABUs and haven't had any taping issues! I haven't felt the need to readjust at all! Now I feel like I can try some of the sticky tape styles that have come out. I had such an issue before that I swore them off for a while.

Reactions: artemisenterri
JonahAteAWhale said:
While Incontrol Hybrid Elite is basically hook and loop Pampers for grown ups, NRU Str8ups is sticky tape Pampers for grown ups. Also Tena Hook and Loop are some of the worst quality nappies I've ever tried, they feel ascerbic, the tabs don't stay, and they hold nothing much at all. It is not true that hook and loop is a sign of quality.
Well, I did say typically

I have tried exactly 2 hook and loop diapers and both were extremely high quality ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wasn't even aware Tena made hook and loop tapes

It really depends on the diaper. Plastic backed I prefer sticky tapes, cloth backed hnl tabs. I like Tykables but could do without the hnl closures.

I'm camp hook and loop all the way. I love getting the perfect fit with symmetry and adjusting as the diaper swells to remain snug around me. I ALWAYS sleep better in h&l diapers as a matter of comfort.

I'm also neurodivergent and sometimes I end up making the leg cuffs too tight around my thighs. I don't want them too loose, but it's a very hard thing to get in the "goldilocks zone" with sticky tab diapers. H&l allow me to adjust and re-adjust until it feels perfect against my legs. That subtle feeling of discomfort can really throw me out of littlespace, so it's a huge help to get the fit just right.

I also don't use my diapers for poo, so I like being able to untape them and snug them back on if I need the toilet. Same thing goes for menstruation - I occasionally use tampons and like having the convenience to change and then attach my diaper without any fear of tapes losing their stickiness or ripping.

Hook and loop all the way if it’s good quality. XP 5000 and the newer positional cloth ones by AB Universe seem to work best. The cloth backed ones from Tena or store brands are terrible. One thing to note, you can pull the back of a diaper down to do number two. I do it all the time at work, nosies travel too easy in work bathroom.

I prefer the sticky tape. Hook & loop doesn't seem to hold as well for me.

Reactions: SparkyDog
sticky tape.... if it's properly done, it isn't going anywhere

Both have their merits. Sticky tapes are strong enough that I won't have to worry about them coming undone, especially if the diapers get very wet and heavy. On the other hand, hooks and loops allow readjustment and are similar to modern baby diapers I am familiar with (I am a Gen Z)

I never had any trouble with either, so I don't really prefer one over the other.

100% sticky tapes on plastic backed Nappies/Diapers for me

Reactions: SparkyDog and jamiejamie
It's an easy answer for me, I like both. On the rearz style diapers(bambino, rearz, that I know of) the landing zones work and hold up great. They also don't really stick hard until you firmly press/work them onto the landing zones. Even then, they still work great if I need to readjust.

I've only really ever worn little kings for the cloth backed stuff, but they seemed to work excellent.

Outside of just straight up taking off the diaper, I don't usually have to readjust, so I've had few issues on that.

Sticky tapes. You get a second chance, noone should need more. Once you know how to perfectly place the tapes the is no need to retape or refasten. Hook and loop would always come loose. Although they got better. The incontrol and the xp beyond do it really good.

Cheers

hook n loop are ok but think I still perfer stick tape

Reactions: NorthwestDiaperDude and SparkyDog
Back