Snaps or Velcro

Vtfastback13

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
Going to make my own cloth diapers. Don't know if going to save money but something to do. What is better snaps or Velcro to fasten it. Don't have snap tool but not too bad to buy

snaps

have you thought about which sound you like better popping buttons or ripping velcro

soupy said:
have you thought about which sound you like better popping buttons or ripping velcro
Lol true snap sounds

As someone who makes their own cloth nappies and clothing I think I'm qualified to answer here.

In the end it all comes down to which you personally prefer to use, everyone will have preferences and reasons for liking one over the other however both have pros and cons. There is also no reason why you cannot have both, meaning that if you design or choose it right the same pattern you use to make them can be used for both, this way you could make one of each to see what you prefer.

Velcro (hook and loop).
Pro's
  • Can be relatively cheap to come by depending on the quality of it but the good stuff will cost a bit especially if you want it more than 1/2" - 1" wide (my dotty's nappies have a 3"+ wide landing strip and tabs).
  • Is the most adjustable since the wings can attach anywhere along the front strip. can also be easily undone and refastened easily.
  • Has a great sound.
  • Is most like the tabs on baby nappies.
  • Requires no special tools to add on.
Con's
  • The good long lasting stuff is more expensive.
  • Will wear down and eventually fail after many washes, can also snag on other things in the wash causing damage even with washing tabs to hold them.
  • Can feel rough and irritating against the skin, can also feel like it has sharp edges digging in,
  • If being used on top of a waterproof layer (like a PUL outer for an AIO) means more stitches and therefore holes in the fabric for wetness to wick through.
  • Is not very discreet when changing (loud ripping sound to undo)
Snaps.
Pro's
  • Very cheap (you can get 100 pairs for a few bucks), it is best however to buy sets of studs and sockets separately as you will be using a lot more of one than the other (if you use say 2 studs on each wing vertically you will also want 2 rows of 4 sockets on each side of the front of the nappy for adjustments so 16 sockets.)
  • much more discreet, the snapping sound is quite quiet and does not sound like a nappy being undone.
  • Looks very professional.
  • Easier to find matching colours for the fabric you use.
  • Less holes in the fabric for wicking through (if using a waterproof outer)
  • Quick to add on.
  • Lasts much longer than Velcro especially after many washes and doesn't snag on other items.
  • Nothing against the skin to irritate (can be placed on fabric before sewing layers so the backs are inside).
Con's
  • Needs a special crimping tool to put them on (though these can be quite cheap and once you have it you can do as many as you like).
  • Less adjustable as you need to connect them to each other at predetermined locations.
  • Needs a bit more time to work out positioning.
  • Cheaper ones may become looser over time.
  • Need more than one on each wing to have a secure hold (I recommend 3 or 4 in the corners of a "square" shape).

For me personally I prefer Velcro as I like how it sounds and how you can get the perfect fit with it, having said that I tend to use snaps more just for the longevity and cost factor.

Snaps are better. Once distance between snaps is fixed, it will be perfect. But maybe you should make velcro and snap variant for testing.

Back