Sleep apnea

Twinmom

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Well got my results. Severe sleep apnea. I quit breathing 64 times during my study. Will go tomorrow night for the study to test the c-pap

Good news is it's now been diagnosed and you're on the road to relief.

It takes awhile to get used to the CPAP but once you do it gets to be your best nighttime friend. 🙂

Yea I'm looking forward to not always being so tired

Reactions: NannaAnnabelle
I was literally falling asleep behind the wheel. It was then I thought "I really should do something about this"

That's what my number was. I've been using my machine for a long time. I think it actually helps me get to sleep. It takes about a month to get used to it but then everything seems to click.

I have a friend with sleep apnea. Watching him "sleep" a few times was terrifying.

There's some evidence that pacifiers help with snoring and sleep apnea, but if you can afford and live with the cpap, definitely do that. The difference between him with the cpap was unbelievable.

Stick with it, it takes time to adjust but in my case it's a life saver. I was close to a hundred times with my O2 sats dropping into the 30's.

I was tested so many years ago, I don't remember my number but it was bad enough that I had to have a CPAP. When I first started using a CPAP I had problems falling to sleep. I would be tired and falling a sleep in the living room watching T.V. but as soon as I climbed into bed and put the CPAP on, I was wide awake. Like others have noted, it may take time to get use to using a CPAP but it is a true life changer. Another good thing that has happen over the years is that we are now able to buy our own different mask/nasal pillow or other types of head gear on Amazon without a prescription. Even with insurance it was very expensive for me to change my head gear when I had to go through my doctors office or medical supply store. Also CPAP has come a long way since I first started using one. They are much more quieter, smaller and smarter.

Reactions: Tigercub59 and dogboy
I was trying to do a sleep study but it wouldn't register my breathing through my nose. I just couldnt do it, I ended up buying a oura ring and that says there's some anomalies, but my oxygen level at night is fairly high, 97-98%

I wouldn't let myself sleep hooked up to a cpap either, its just not gonna happen.

I have had mine since 2001. I can not sleep without it.

I went to a professional conference and had to share a room with the big boss. We both had C-paps and said if anyone walked in they would think it was a scene from invation of the body snatchers.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: dogboy
I a
egor said:

I went to a professional conference and had to share a room with the big boss. We both had C-paps and said if anyone walked in they would think it was a scene from invation of the body snatchers.
I am astonished at how many people have been diagnosed with sleep apnea. I've roomed with plenty of people with CPAPs. One year I forgot to pack my bag with my CPAP on a trip. I asked my wife to send it next day to my hotel. That was one scary night to go without!

egor said:

🤣🤣🤣

Lightshow said:
I wouldn't let myself sleep hooked up to a cpap either, its just not gonna happen.
If you had sleep apnea bad enough you’d do what had to be done to get sleep and live. Sleep apnea untreated can put you at a higher risk for stroke, high blood pressure and even death.

You do get used to it after awhile. If one mask doesn’t work or feel comfortable you try a different one. I found a full face mask I like and that is what I always order.

Yes it can be a pain the the butt to travel with if you are only staying one night at a time. I might be able to go one night without it, but I’m pretty useless the next day.

I love how the medical community always asks

Q: how often do you use your cpap
A: every night, all night without fail

I also have sever sleep apnea and even with using a CPAP machine I'm almost always tired
:(

cpap here.
just a quick note depending on where you are, the clinics are only interested in one thing, selling you the machine and getting your insurance to pay MAX dollar for it. You can purchase machines online for half the cost of what the clinics will sell for.
Also had way more success using OSCAR and setting my own pressure settings on the machine. got myself dialed in perfectly, most nights are < 1 AHI. Lots of resources and forums to help you out. Stay away from any used dreamstations, as phillips basically had to recall every one due to bad foam.

I'm sure my insurance will pay for it

My wife had a CPAP machine and we also did nocturnal home dialysis. So by the time we were ready to go to sleep, my wife had her CPAP mask on her face as did I and my wife had two tubes coming out of neck with blood flowing into the machine and out again. I often said that if someone broke into our house and saw us, they would think we were the Borg.

Reactions: Liljaypup
In 1978 my mother complained to my dads doctor that he was not breathing several times a night (he had COPD real bad). The doctor told her that she was mistaken, because if he stopped breathing he would be dead.

HE died of a massive heart attack 5 months later.

She retrained as a pulmonary Nurse and was part of the nursing group that brought nighttime breathing issues to the for front in the American pulmonary Association.

Reactions: dogboy and NannaAnnabelle
Back