Side Leak

BrokeBoy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Hi all new to this. Got some tena flex plus to use while having treatment on foot. For night/ wheelchair use. Used one last night and I’m finding them to leak on the sides. It felt wet a tiny bit on my side but the patch on the bed was big. Should I get different ones, i reading about plastic pants but I think I will be to hot. I know they are not overnight ones but my usage was very minimal 1 go. Would sitting eliminate this if I do need to use or are they faulty. Thanks all

Reactions: PadPhilosopher
The tena flex are designed primarily for much more active people who will be walking/running around and need a lot of mobility, not really very good for in bed or wheelchair usage.

A standard tena slip would be much better suited to that and have 4 levels of thickness depending on needs.

Different brands will fit everyone a bit different so it may be that the tena cut doesn't fit you well and a betterdry or northshore might fit better.

Experience changing also comes into play a lot, as you wear more experiment with where you out the tapes, the angle, tightness etc. And you may find a better way to fit them without leaks.

As for plastic pants, yes they can hold heat in and be a bit warmer, but unless you are very active and in a hot climate it probably won't be noticeable. They do help with leaks but do a better job with cloth diapers as any loose wee they collect can be soaked up by the diaper, with disposables if wee gets out the diaper into plastic pants it's not so easy for it to be absorbed by the diaper but can still be contained and drained into a toilet if need be.

I'd suggest using full taped diapers (slips/briefs) rather than the flex belted style. Also if it is only for smaller amounts the pull up style might be OK in a chair but probably still not so good in bed, and they don't hold as much.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and LittleTyke
Plastic pants are really the only thing that help for side sleepers. Alternatively you could also just buy some disposable or washable waterproof bed pads.

I had occasional problems with side leaks in a Tena Slip Active Fit Ultima size M. Switching to the larger size (L) seems to have solved the problem.

As @Belarin mentions, the Tena Flex is not designed for use in bed. I've only used it for a few hospital visits, or other occasions where easy change is necessary. I generally don't like it, so I only use it when is the more practical option.

Belarin said:
The tena flex are designed primarily for much more active people who will be walking/running around and need a lot of mobility, not really very good for in bed or wheelchair usage.

A standard tena slip would be much better suited to that and have 4 levels of thickness depending on needs.

Different brands will fit everyone a bit different so it may be that the tena cut doesn't fit you well and a betterdry or northshore might fit better.

Experience changing also comes into play a lot, as you wear more experiment with where you out the tapes, the angle, tightness etc. And you may find a better way to fit them without leaks.

As for plastic pants, yes they can hold heat in and be a bit warmer, but unless you are very active and in a hot climate it probably won't be noticeable. They do help with leaks but do a better job with cloth diapers as any loose wee they collect can be soaked up by the diaper, with disposables if wee gets out the diaper into plastic pants it's not so easy for it to be absorbed by the diaper but can still be contained and drained into a toilet if need be.

I'd suggest using full taped diapers (slips/briefs) rather than the flex belted style. Also if it is only for smaller amounts the pull up style might be OK in a chair but probably still not so good in bed, and they don't hold as much.
Thanks that is such a great help. I thought these would be good idea as I’m not dependent on them all the time. And the ability to undo them and use the toilet when needed.I will swap over to tape, probably stick to tena but up the level.

LittleTyke said:
I had occasional problems with side leaks in a Tena Slip Active Fit Ultima size M. Switching to the larger size (L) seems to have solved the problem.

As @Belarin mentions, the Tena Flex is not designed for use in bed. I've only used it for a few hospital visits, or other occasions where easy change is necessary. I generally don't like it, so I only use it when is the more practical option.
Thanks appreciate that , all taken on board. I had the idea of easy toilet use when not needed that’s why I chose the flex. Didn’t expect to create more of a mess but we live and learn. I was thinking the full tapes would be a pain out and about. In bed I couldn’t undo tapes to toilet , but I think it’s time for security over the practicality. I may try up sizing first see if I can get a sample.

Reactions: LittleTyke and PadPhilosopher
quartz200420012 said:
Plastic pants are really the only thing that help for side sleepers. Alternatively you could also just buy some disposable or washable waterproof bed pads.
On the list thanks

Leaking location both sides when sitting bed

Attachments

• IMG_5396.jpeg
    IMG_5396.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • Thinking
My go to:

Megamax tape on diaper.
Then cotton briefs over diaper.
Then waterproof cover over everything.

The briefs will absorb the drops that get through the leg gathers, as some will at some point. and if there is nothing to absorb it it will just move around between the diaper and cover and come out somewhere. with the brief it absorbs enogh to deal with the small leak that will happen at some point or another.

My eperiance with this system. and i turn over on side a lot, even in the segufix i roll over on my side.

But, over a year i get maybe once to twice a week some noticable amount of wetness on the briefs, could be a tiny drip other days i dont notice, but noticable 1-2 times a week.
Then maybe once or twice a year i get a leak that will get out beyond the diaper cover, usually not much maybe a touch on my pajamas....
Have enough to get on the sheets maybe once every 2-3 years.

Been in diapers for 52 years, but been in megamax for a long time now and using this method, before that it was molicare still with the briefs and diaper cover.

You best bet is to use a layered system, as everything can and will fail at some time. By having the diaper, then briefs to soak up bits, and then the waterproof diaper cover you have a redundant system for smal leaks.

Myself i also have a matress protector on the bed as well, so to keep any major leaks at bay as well, cause urine on memory foam would be impossible to clean, anythng in the memory foam would be inpossible to clean, so a matress protector is a must IMHO IC or not. Not to mention look into what comes out of a matress after a couple years with a steam cleaner, YUCK!!! Waterproof cover, just was it, and the matress is not full of dead skin and dust mites and alike.

BrokeBoy said:
Thanks that is such a great help. I thought these would be good idea as I’m not dependent on them all the time. And the ability to undo them and use the toilet when needed.I will swap over to tape, probably stick to tena but up the level.
Don't get me wrong the belt style products are still great in the right scenario, being able to undo the front and use a toilet is really handy, and the fact they are a little slimmer both in thickness and width/pad size makes them quite discreet and they are really easy to change from many positions and in cramped spaces.

But they are designed for light IC, either a few dribbles here and there or a regular small and slow stream, they can hold quite a lot of small dribbles but are not as good at taking a full or even half bladder load in a short time. Even though capacity wise they can handle that much, the slimness, shorter guards and general shaping/profile means when releasing larger amounts at once it doesn't get absorbed fast enough and has nowhere else to go but out of the legs.

They are also better suited to people who are very active and need the freedom to move around without any bulk getting in the way.

Going with tape on style, with most brands now you can still undo the tapes to take it off and use a toilet and then reattach them, especially so with the cloth backed, but if you do that too many times they do begin lose grip. This does however mean properly taking it off and putting it back on again which can be a pain if you are less mobile.

Of course you also have the option if just needing a wee in the toilet, of simply pulling aside the crotch section and pulling your manhood out the side of the nappy to wee, this works best sat on a toilet because of the angle and can allow you to wee in a toilet without undoing or removing anything and without having to refit the nappy after. If this isn't quite enough space you can just undo the bottom tap on one side or even both tapes on the side if needed and then tape it back up after, if doing this it's best to alternate which side you use.

The other option with tapes is to put it on just a little bit loose, tight enough to hold it up and prevent gaps to leak from but loose enough that you can just pull it down like underpants to use the toilet and then pull it back up, it can take a bit of readjusting to get it to sit right again (can give tips there if needed) but this can work if for example; you need to go no. 2 and want to use a toilet.

As for plastic pants I do recommend them for side sleepers and as @Bigbabybret said, wearing some briefs (or better yet boxers) between the nappy and the plastic pants to soak any leaks is the easiest way to handle it if you can't find a nappy that works for you, but taped nappies will be much better here than belted anyway so may not be needed.

The best option for side sleepers who struggle with leaks is actually to use cloth nappies (flats, prefolds or fitted/AIO, but not pockets) because their absorbency covers all around, crotch, bum and sides so that when you are sleeping on your side any wee that falls to the side of the nappy still can be absorbed where disposables just have the thin non absorbent wings. The downside to this is needing to wash and dry them.

Also going to mention.

Side sleepers, dont skimp on the size of the diaper, larger size diapers cover the sides more and usually have more padding in general, so if you can use say a medium and a large, use the large, it wil goto the side more and hold more overall.

Going to the smallest size you can fit into isnt the bost option IMO and going to the larger size (till they are too big that you physically cant get the tapes to work) give you more padding and covers around more than the smaller sizes do, that plastic on the sides does nothing for absorbtion at all. My personal fit, the tapes are about 2-3" from touching each other in the front and only a small area on the side is NOT covered with some padding and that will help a lot for side leaks. Also the extra overlapping plastic makes a leaks to the outside less likely too as its quite a long journy to traverse the overlapping plastic when its litterally 8" overlapped on the sides.

I think also that mfg could put more padding in the side especially on the max capicity diapers, this goes for all mfg not just one. It's not like with like the megamax your worried about some bulk, there is already plenty of it, and going a few more inches on the sides would be a great addition. Yes i get the whole thing with the machines and the width of the padding and cutting and waste etc...But still be nice to have a diaper where the majority of the side was padded as opposed to most being just plastic.

Belarin said:
Don't get me wrong the belt style products are still great in the right scenario, being able to undo the front and use a toilet is really handy, and the fact they are a little slimmer both in thickness and width/pad size makes them quite discreet and they are really easy to change from many positions and in cramped spaces.

But they are designed for light IC, either a few dribbles here and there or a regular small and slow stream, they can hold quite a lot of small dribbles but are not as good at taking a full or even half bladder load in a short time. Even though capacity wise they can handle that much, the slimness, shorter guards and general shaping/profile means when releasing larger amounts at once it doesn't get absorbed fast enough and has nowhere else to go but out of the legs.

They are also better suited to people who are very active and need the freedom to move around without any bulk getting in the way.

Going with tape on style, with most brands now you can still undo the tapes to take it off and use a toilet and then reattach them, especially so with the cloth backed, but if you do that too many times they do begin lose grip. This does however mean properly taking it off and putting it back on again which can be a pain if you are less mobile.

Of course you also have the option if just needing a wee in the toilet, of simply pulling aside the crotch section and pulling your manhood out the side of the nappy to wee, this works best sat on a toilet because of the angle and can allow you to wee in a toilet without undoing or removing anything and without having to refit the nappy after. If this isn't quite enough space you can just undo the bottom tap on one side or even both tapes on the side if needed and then tape it back up after, if doing this it's best to alternate which side you use.

The other option with tapes is to put it on just a little bit loose, tight enough to hold it up and prevent gaps to leak from but loose enough that you can just pull it down like underpants to use the toilet and then pull it back up, it can take a bit of readjusting to get it to sit right again (can give tips there if needed) but this can work if for example; you need to go no. 2 and want to use a toilet.

As for plastic pants I do recommend them for side sleepers and as @Bigbabybret said, wearing some briefs (or better yet boxers) between the nappy and the plastic pants to soak any leaks is the easiest way to handle it if you can't find a nappy that works for you, but taped nappies will be much better here than belted anyway so may not be needed.

The best option for side sleepers who struggle with leaks is actually to use cloth nappies (flats, prefolds or fitted/AIO, but not pockets) because their absorbency covers all around, crotch, bum and sides so that when you are sleeping on your side any wee that falls to the side of the nappy still can be absorbed where disposables just have the thin non absorbent wings. The downside to this is needing to wash and dry them.
Thanks for all this help much appreciated for you time writing all this.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and Belarin
Bigbabybret said:
Also going to mention.

Side sleepers, dont skimp on the size of the diaper, larger size diapers cover the sides more and usually have more padding in general, so if you can use say a medium and a large, use the large, it wil goto the side more and hold more overall.

Going to the smallest size you can fit into isnt the bost option IMO and going to the larger size (till they are too big that you physically cant get the tapes to work) give you more padding and covers around more than the smaller sizes do, that plastic on the sides does nothing for absorbtion at all. My personal fit, the tapes are about 2-3" from touching each other in the front and only a small area on the side is NOT covered with some padding and that will help a lot for side leaks. Also the extra overlapping plastic makes a leaks to the outside less likely too as its quite a long journy to traverse the overlapping plastic when its litterally 8" overlapped on the sides.

I think also that mfg could put more padding in the side especially on the max capicity diapers, this goes for all mfg not just one. It's not like with like the megamax your worried about some bulk, there is already plenty of it, and going a few more inches on the sides would be a great addition. Yes i get the whole thing with the machines and the width of the padding and cutting and waste etc...But still be nice to have a diaper where the majority of the side was padded as opposed to most being just plastic.
Thanks that’s some good info going to buy some more and use that as reference.

Reactions: Bigbabybret and PadPhilosopher
BrokeBoy said:
Thanks for all this help much appreciated for you time writing all this.
No problem, happy to share experiences and advice, we all gotta learn somehow.

Another option for you with sleeping that was mentioned that could be elaborated on is the bed pads.

You can basically get two main types of pads:

Disposable ones that look like this.
Drylife Basic Disposable Bed Pads - 40cm x 60cm - Pack of 25 | eBay

Are large plastic backed sheets that have similar material and SAP as in a disposable nappy, they can absorb smaller-moderate leaks and just get thrown out when wet.

And washable cloth pads (also known as Kylie pads) like this.
Kylie Bed Pads AB

Which are usually a thicker absorbent and quilted material with a plastic or PUL backing, they usually have extra material on two opposite sides as shown above that can tuck under a mattress to gold it in place, they can, in my experience, hold a fair bit more than a disposable pad (unless you get really thick disposable ones) and when used can be taken off, washed in the machine and dried to use again, they can last a very long time if looked after well.

The disposable ones are generally a similar size to each other they are also a bit more delicate so leaving one on the bed for a longer time if you don't have any leaks for several days it may get damaged and be useless when you do have a leak. They also have a plastic back similar to a nappy which can be quite noisy and rustle/crinkle a lot. They go best on top of the mattress with your sheet on top because they usually have no way of holding them in place by themselves which would mean you have a wet sheet to sleep on, or just on top of the sheet (not the best idea as they can move around like this, scrunch up or even get pushed right off the bed), placed where your crotch will be.

While the cloth ones can come in a large number of sizes for both beds and chairs/sofas (and wheelchairs), usually have the side flaps to hold them in place and the waterproof backing is usually much quieter. They can be left on the bed/chair for as long as needed until you have a leak without worry and obviously are reusable, though you will need the freedom to be able to wash and dry them. You can put them on the mattress under a sheet but because of the wings to hold them in place as pictured you can put them on top of the sheet directly under you, then if you have a leak your sheet is likely to stay dry so cleaning after a leak will just be a case of removing the pad to wash.

Whilst these things will not prevent you from having any leaks they will minimise any damage to the mattress, cushions or furniture by keeping the wee from reaching them. allowing you to sleep easy knowing that even if you do leak the bed is safe and it won't be too bad to clean up.

Reactions: BrokeBoy and PadPhilosopher
Or you can put a huge plastic bag over your mattress with a towel over that, like I do. It's clunky, but cheap and easy to change.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrokeBoy
Bigbabybret said:
Also going to mention.

This matches my experience exactly.

Reactions: Bigbabybret, BrokeBoy and PadPhilosopher
Belarin said:
No problem, happy to share experiences and advice, we all gotta learn somehow.

Another option for you with sleeping that was mentioned that could be elaborated on is the bed pads.

You can basically get two main types of pads:

Disposable ones that look like this.
Drylife Basic Disposable Bed Pads - 40cm x 60cm - Pack of 25 | eBay

Are large plastic backed sheets that have similar material and SAP as in a disposable nappy, they can absorb smaller-moderate leaks and just get thrown out when wet.

And washable cloth pads (also known as Kylie pads) like this.
Kylie Bed Pads AB

Which are usually a thicker absorbent and quilted material with a plastic or PUL backing, they usually have extra material on two opposite sides as shown above that can tuck under a mattress to gold it in place, they can, in my experience, hold a fair bit more than a disposable pad (unless you get really thick disposable ones) and when used can be taken off, washed in the machine and dried to use again, they can last a very long time if looked after well.

The disposable ones are generally a similar size to each other they are also a bit more delicate so leaving one on the bed for a longer time if you don't have any leaks for several days it may get damaged and be useless when you do have a leak. They also have a plastic back similar to a nappy which can be quite noisy and rustle/crinkle a lot. They go best on top of the mattress with your sheet on top because they usually have no way of holding them in place by themselves which would mean you have a wet sheet to sleep on, or just on top of the sheet (not the best idea as they can move around like this, scrunch up or even get pushed right off the bed), placed where your crotch will be.

While the cloth ones can come in a large number of sizes for both beds and chairs/sofas (and wheelchairs), usually have the side flaps to hold them in place and the waterproof backing is usually much quieter. They can be left on the bed/chair for as long as needed until you have a leak without worry and obviously are reusable, though you will need the freedom to be able to wash and dry them. You can put them on the mattress under a sheet but because of the wings to hold them in place as pictured you can put them on top of the sheet directly under you, then if you have a leak your sheet is likely to stay dry so cleaning after a leak will just be a case of removing the pad to wash.

Whilst these things will not prevent you from having any leaks they will minimise any damage to the mattress, cushions or furniture by keeping the wee from reaching them. allowing you to sleep easy knowing that even if you do leak the bed is safe and it won't be too bad to clean up.

Just ordered a few give them a go thanks

Back