Shopping dilema

dfabuk

I'm a DL
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
  3. Little
One of my local charity shops has a few packs of Tena Slip in my size at a very cheap price.

The problem is I go in there several times a week so know all the staff, so it could be really awkward buying adult nappies there. Plus, it's my local town so I may be spotted by someone I know.

So it's a real dilemma, cheap nappies vs risk of being seen and awkwardness of buying from a local shop.

• Thinking
Reactions: TigerDL
Just do it. Nobody in my town would care what I do and I don’t think anyone is going too bother you either.

Reactions: CLPP, LucyMarie, BigAl2 and 1 other person
Others don't care. There are other people with a fetish for balloons or socks. Did you ever care if someone buys balloons or socks?

Reactions: Deleted member 76595, dfabuk, CLPP and 1 other person
No one will ask questions. They won't know who they are for.

Reactions: dfabuk and CLPP
If you go there a lot I’d play it off as I saw these diapers, they were cheap and I know someone who could use them and play that card

Reactions: TigerDL, Seasonedcitizen, BigAl2 and 1 other person
Why do we always manage to make mountains out of mole hills?

Reactions: Seasonedcitizen, geka, CptKirk and 2 others
Don’t do it.
No amount of discount will make up for the possibility of ‘discovery’

• Thinking
Reactions: KindaOlde and CptKirk
Honestly I don’t think the staff would care tbh

Depending on how well you know the staff I would buy them or not. If you just know them from seeing them from going there every week, then I wouldn't care and I would buy them put them in a bag and go. But if you are friends with them, then I wouldn't.

Hey do you mind if I buy those for my grandad/gradma

Thank you to everyone for sharing their thoughts and advice. I bit the bullet and bought 2 packs this morning.
I do only know the staff from going in most weeks, so they're not 'friends'.
Nothing was said and no funny looks, just a straight forward purchase.

Last edited:
Reactions: TigerDL, Andy86, bobbilly and 1 other person
Classic risk vs reward scenario. If money is tight and you will really benefit from buying them, and the staff are professional, respectful, and you are careful about other customers, then I would say go for it. If they aren't that cheap or you can comfortably afford to buy online, then why risk alienating your community or making things uncomfortable for you in the future.

I had a similar situation, but it was with some very valuable vintage plastic baby diapers. I wanted them desperately and knew I could easily sell them online for well over a hundred dollars profit. The store though was the only small store in town where my family does its annual family reunion. I am probably related to half the people that live there. No way was it worth it for me to buy them no matter how amazing they were.

Conversely, I have bought goodnites and Depend real-fit from the nearest Walmart a few towns over, where I have lots of family that might shop there and regularly see people I know from school or other community/family events. I am cautious to make sure no one I care about will notice, I go quickly and directly to the items I want and leave quickly without drawing extra attention. Sure, people will recognize me the next time I shop there, but the risk is low enough to make it worth doing.

When it comes to people that matter, it is worth it to be extra careful and not risk the social or personal cost just to save a few dollars, but for few vaguely familiar faces that you only see at the store and don't really care about, there isn't really any reason to care what they think.

dfabuk said:
One of my local charity shops has a few packs of Tena Slip in my size at a very cheap price.

The problem is I go in there several times a week so know all the staff, so it could be really awkward buying adult nappies there. Plus, it's my local town so I may be spotted by someone I know.

So it's a real dilemma, cheap nappies vs risk of being seen and awkwardness of buying from a local shop.
You're just pick up something for an elderly person.

Have a story prepared. Maybe you know someone who is not able to get out easily but needs them. It's a personal issue so it wouldn't be courteous of you to mention a name. Have a throw away line like "At this price, I could hardly say no."

I guess you could tell a little white lie and say that you saw a charity drive at your workplace, college etc etc and that they are desperately after "medical supplies" or something along those lines. But the charity shop you're buying them from will benefit from your purchase anyway.

Back