SashaNicole

Prissy Frilly Sissy
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
Hello everyone,

Not sure if I have posted this in the right thread or not.
I am I have to absolutely in love with frilly panties and over the years must have spent a small fortune on them.
I am thinking about learning to sew and potentially selling some on Etsy etc.
Couple of things ! Firstly is it difficult to learn to use a sewing machine ? Secondly if I did learn would it take ages to become skilled at making good quality frilly panties?

I am keen to learn as to be honest the quality of some of the workmanship on the internet is atrocious. I would love to not only make quality frilly panties for myself but also for other fans of them.

Thirdly. What would sissy girls be prepared to pay for a really good quality pair of satin frilly panties?

Sasha x

Reactions: Luvshugs
SashaNicole said:
Firstly is it difficult to learn to use a sewing machine ? Secondly if I did learn would it take ages to become skilled at making good quality frilly panties?
Firstly, nope, it isn't difficult to learn how to use a sewing machine 😁.
They are a considered purchase, though.
The cheapest ones, costwise, are best avoiding (it's an idea to follow the craft channels on Freeview which often have demonstrations of the latest offerings by makers).
A quick Amazoning later:

Screenshot_20220426-200341.png
Those are the first results on the screen, but only the middle one is worth looking at as a beginner's machine.
My sewing machine is like the LS14S, at £85, and it's like operating a Gatling gun (noisy as hell and no speed control).
If you click on the FS40, at £211, you'll get some comparable machines by other well-known makes:
Screenshot_20220426-200454.png
Moving up into the £300 to £500 price range, you'll be expecting various ease-of-use technologies to be incorporated into the machines (automatic needle threaders, etc) along with lettering and patterned stitches.
In fact, the Uten model in the comparison has an automatic needle threader:
Screenshot_20220426-203045.png
(They get evermore tempting!)

Simple overlocking abilities are also being introduced. I still remember footcranked sewing machines, so I'm always a bit agog at modern machines.
(It's a lot to take in, isn't it? 😁)

The process of operating the machines is the same across the board. What can take longer to master, or aquire, are good garment patterns (you'll probably end up having to do some adaption and expermentation to make your own templates).
I've handsewn most of my stuff (except for some plastic pants), so I can't really speak as to becoming masterful on a machine (I use mine mostly for making feeling-cloths).
It shouldn't take too much trial and error, though. You've got the craft channels, YouTube and people here to help and inspire you.

Reactions: Belarin
I can echo most of what Ade says.

I would however like to say that I actually use the Brother LS14 machine listed first there and while it is not outstanding I'd say it's not a bad machine for a beginner, yeah it's a little noisy but it does and a speed control on the foot pedal (not very sensitive though), For learning basic stitching techniques and getting some experience or sewing simple items for yourself it's alright. definitely not a professional quality machine though, if you want to make top quality items you'll need to spend the money to get a good machine.

I have a sewing projects thread in the blogs forum, so far only one style of snap crotch bodysuit made but I have done a couple other things and there will be more coming to that post soon, I have been sewing only since early march and the stitching quality on two of those bodysuits is better than some T shirts I have bought. So you can see it doesn't take long to learn and get used to it.

I would recommend looking for Valentina Pattern software, it is a free open source app for making patterns, but it is based on a CAD system so uses equations and maths to mark the lines, not the easiest to use but it lets you set up a measurements file so if you want to resize an item you just change the measurements and the software alters the pattern for you, also does things like adding seam allowance etc.

Panties are really easy to put together either as 1, 2 or 3 piece patterns.
1 piece is the typical "hourglass" ish shape though you need to remember spacing for the sides, front and back. just join the sides, turn the elastic cases, thread elastic and done.
2 piece is front and back mostly the same as one piece but joined between the crotch too.
3 piece is front and back but has a separate gusset section between them which can help to reinforce them and make them stronger and make shaping easier. but more seams to sew.
Adding frillies to them would not be too hard to do.

If you can afford $100+ dollars for a machine then it's worth giving it a go there are plenty of tutorials and people around who can help you and it can be quite fun making stuff.

Belarin said:
I actually use the Brother LS14 machine listed first there and while it is not outstanding I'd say it's not a bad machine for a beginner, yeah it's a little noisy but it does and a speed control on the foot pedal
Right you are! (I've just read the pdf 😁)
Making me jealous, now, cos my Dunelm branded one cost not much less (it was some years ago, though).

If the pedal speed control is a bit hit and miss, a simple 'throttle stop' could be attached.
The instant speed and continuous full speed is what ruins my machine, especially when it comes to making plastic pants.
I think I bought the teflon-coated needle to try to improve things (not used the machine in good while, so memory is a bit iffy).
I wonder if the walking-foot for LS14 would be useful for doing plastics? 🤔

Reactions: Belarin
The peddle speed control actually has quite a bit of variation but the trouble is it's "dead zone" and sensitivity... it has about an inch and a half movement (guessing there by feel) but the first 1/2 -3/4 inch does nothing but make the machine go "mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm". Then for about the next 1/2" you can make it go from like 1 stitch every 2 seconds (with continuous unpausing movement) to about 20 per second so it is quite hard to get it to an exact speed every time when starting or to build from a slow start. it is stiff enough though that once you find a comfortable speed you can keep it there easily.

I think I paid about £80 in Hobbycraft for it and would recommend it to beginners or children wanting to learn, it has a fair stitch selection for newbies without being overwhelming, is easy to thread, and has several accessories including 4 step button hole foot, zipper foot, clear top loading bobbin so you can see when it's low, clear seam measures, and the front is removable to give it a free arm for smaller circles like arm cuffs. I'm yet to try my twin needle on it but did pick one up, the shop didn't have a walking foot though :( wanted to try that on PUL.

I would like to get an upgrade though but can't really justify it right now, would be nice to have more control on stitch length and spacing, space for a second spindle for the twin needle, smoother speed control and a one touch reverse button for starting and ended a row. would like a serger too though and that more money.

Sewing machines can be pretty simple. They aren't difficult to use but require some trial and error to get the tension right for the fabric you are sewing if you want the longest lasting, most durable stitches. Ideally you should test stitch on a scrap with contrasting bobbin and top threads any time you switch fabrics to determine if your tension is correct and adjust if needed, especially if the fabric thickness is significantly different from your previous. In reality many home hobbyists don't do this step and struggle with tangles, dropped stitches, and weak seams, never knowing why.

The Brother FS-40 mentioned above looks slightly simpler than mine and I think is the minimum I personally would recommend. It looks to have a decent amount of stitches and will likely serve you well for the occasional dabbling in sewing. I know mine has. If you are going to sell on Ebay or Etsy you would probably want to get a basic serger too so that you can finish the seams (so the inside doesn't fray) to a professional standard. But I would recommend starting with the sewing machine and just finishing the seams with an overlock stitch, which is perfectly acceptable for making your own projects. It just takes a little more time and doesn't have the professional look that people expect with serged store bought clothes.

The thing to remember with sewing is that most of the time is spent cutting, pinning, and ironing. Don't discount ironing. It can really make the actual sewing part much easier and give you more professional looking results, even on simple projects. Using the sewing machine is only a small part of the process really.

Panties should be a simple project to sew. The difficulty is going to be getting a good pattern for your purposes. And you'll need to figure out the sizing before you sell because commercial patterns do not use the same sizing standard as clothing manufacturers. Not that clothing manufacturers do either but it is worse with sewing patterns.

Reactions: GatoChihuahua
Thanks for the replies. Some really useful tips and info.
If only I could put together some panties like these I would be a very happy sissy😍

Attachments

• DDA1FB73-7288-46E9-9989-31D6E1CDF058.jpeg
    DDA1FB73-7288-46E9-9989-31D6E1CDF058.jpeg
    18.4 KB · Views: 11
You need 2-3 months to learn how to use a sewing machine on the middle level. Yes, you need some experience to create good panties, but I'm sure it's not one year, but much less. Idk about price

I picked up a singer 4452 heavy duty machine during the first year of the pandemic, and taught myself to sew.
It's a great machine, but it eats crappy thread for dinner, I mean the cheap stuff from walmart... other than that, it's been awesome.
The local sewing shop guy sells Janome and Brother, but says they all pretty much accomplish the same task. Brands are pretty much preference.

I've made many onesies for myself out of tshirts so far, and quite a few diaper covers. Hopefully I'll get time to make myself a footed sleeper. I've got all the materials, just need the time

SashaNicole said:
Hello everyone,

Not sure if I have posted this in the right thread or not.
I am I have to absolutely in love with frilly panties and over the years must have spent a small fortune on them.
I am thinking about learning to sew and potentially selling some on Etsy etc.
Couple of things ! Firstly is it difficult to learn to use a sewing machine ? Secondly if I did learn would it take ages to become skilled at making good quality frilly panties?

I am keen to learn as to be honest the quality of some of the workmanship on the internet is atrocious. I would love to not only make quality frilly panties for myself but also for other fans of them.

Thirdly. What would sissy girls be prepared to pay for a really good quality pair of satin frilly panties?

Sasha x
I didn't read any of the above yet but just jumped in. I also love making frilly things for any sex. I was kinda pushed away by my mom but was "rejected" by my bro, so I hung out watching her.
I said I wanted to make puppets. I learned a lot. (off the subject, but that's when I asked her IF I could go back in her and be different. Ha ha ha ha)
I started at 7. I didn't know that you have to give seam allowances (?) enough for when you sew. I made a great puppet, but I didn't know at first you sew it inside-out. I learned that. Then I made some puppet inside-out, but it was too darn thin to get even my little hand in after I made it. I gave it an inch on each side. then I learned to wrap the fabric around my body and give the stitching place (stitch line where the seam was to close the garment) so it wouldn't "steal the needed fabric" based on my wants on the part of my body I wanted to do.
After it all, I got crazed, and made a homemade diaper, fully stuffed. It WAS A DISASTER although it fit. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::eek: (It was hopefully NEVER found out..the homemade diaper...GOD!):rolleyes:

Eventually, she was kind enough to teach me on the old Bernina machine she had (I bought 2 newer models way later...long story) where I had to learn to adjust the string tension based on the string, the needle, and the fabric. Nowadays, the computerized machines take care of that, like a car for those people who don't drive stick (I like stick over automatics any day) and all you have to remember is to clean the fabric dust from the motor parts and oil them. YOUTUBE has lessons, too. Along with learning how to read patterns...if you decide not to do operations on old garments you like to reproduce them, which I do and is fun.☺️☺️

What's the hardest part for learning to sew? Um....knowing when to make what fine adjustments to thread tension and such. And troubleshooting the machine can be frustrating for a beginner. Usually if the stitches are not right, then the machine is threaded wrong, but tension can be an issue as well as lint build-up in the bobbin compartment or a old needle. Follow the pattern, cut on the lines, pin everything with edges even, match up your marks. Once it's at this machine, set the stich length, and follow the lines- there are lines to guide you so that your seam will always be equal distance from the edge. You can go as slow as you need to- I find pushing with my toes and not my foot (like a gas pedal in a car) gives me more control of the speed. As a beginner, stay away from slippery and stretchy type fabrics, very light weight fabrics, knits. The easiest to work with are broadcloth, sheeting, linen, percale flannel, muslin, poplin and oxford.

Reactions: Selene
i am very lucky as i inherited an older, but really well made sewing machine. Living in South Africa means we don’t have anything like the same choice of ABDL clothing that i see being offered for sale in Europe or USA. So, mostly self taught (we were introduced to the very basics many, many years ago at school) and through a lot of trial and error, i now make a lot of my own clothing. Well, i make some and i also change clothing that i buy from the stores to ”babyfy“ it. Once you start you soon get an eye for seeing outfits which can be adapted to a younger look. i also make my own cloth nappies (diapers) and nappy covers, and there are some great resources and such helpful people that i have “met” on here, if you are wanting to experiment further with sewing and making your own clothing. i really would encourage every ABDL to have a go…you do need a lot of time, and patience, and many of my earlier stuff wasn’t so great but literally included my blood, sweat and tears! But i can’t describe the feeling of finally pulling off a successful piece, amd, of course you can get to choose exactly how it looks and feels and performs. So, for example when i make my own cloth nappies, i actually include lots of material in the sides (often the ones you buy only have multiple layers through the crotch area, and often just single layers to the sides. But i am a side sleeper…so if i really wet a lot at night it would all collect to one side (this is still often a problem if i use disposables, so i usually have to wear plastic panties on top, to avoid leaks. But my own, home made nappies have lots of layered material to the sides too, yes it does make them bulkier, but for me, that really isn’t a problem, rather it adds to the look for me! But there is enough material to the side to soak anything up and so i never leak at all on my side! i also make myself frilly nappy / diaper covers to hide the plastic panties, and then shorten the dress or nightie to make sure it peeks out! Nothing but benefits!

Reactions: Tannie and ade
Back