Sewing Vinyl Pants

Mrgutzmer

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I have a pair of LeakMaster Vinyl Pants that has had the side heat welded seam simply come apart.
Has anyone sewed them with good results?
Please Advise, thanks,
Martin

Attachments

• 0220C4DB-E1F1-49AA-A65B-FD8437378186.jpeg
    0220C4DB-E1F1-49AA-A65B-FD8437378186.jpeg
    814.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Sad
Reactions: Edgewater and Angelapinks
Mrgutzmer said:
I have a pair of LeakMaster Vinyl Pants that has had the side heat welded seam simply come apart.
Please Advise, thanks,
Martin
for 26.00 from amazon i think its better to just buy new ive had mine for 3 years and still like new

Reactions: Rusher, Edgewater and Angelapinks
Mrgutzmer said:
Please Advise, thanks,
Martin
I have used a small needle and hand sewn them but keep the stitches a bit far apart or they will just tear like a perforated paper strip. I have also tried using a food heat sealer to fix the problem. I thought it was going well until I saw it actually melted holes in the plastic. Another method I tried was a cheap hand held bag sealer that was battery operated. It worked a little bit but was not a strong enough seal and after a few wearings it just cam apart again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater, Woncrinklz and PaddedRita
1677355520835.pngI have been curious if using a different tip and a Weller soldering gun would mend it with some careful melting action. I've once owned a tip like the photo at right (but no idea where it is now).
1677355654795.png

• Thinking
Reactions: Edgewater, Woncrinklz and Angelapinks
Superglue has worked for me

• Thinking
slimjiminy said:
View attachment 103918I have been curious if using a different tip and a Weller soldering gun would mend it with some careful melting action. I've once owned a tip like the photo at right (but no idea where it is now).
View attachment 103919
If you could regulate the heat to warm it may work but the bag sealers use a strip of fiberglass protection layer so the plastic doesn't over heat or stick to the heated blade.

Reactions: Edgewater
Angelapinks said:
If you could regulate the heat to warm it may work but the bag sealers use a strip of fiberglass protection layer so the plastic doesn't over heat or stick to the heated blade.
Agreed, it would be tricky. I've done some makeshift fusing in the past with plastic parts with a soldering iron before with mixed results.

If you know the chemical composition of the polymer...?

But all the ideas above I have either done or considered.
I have surgery to do on some split seams on my plastic pants. My next move shall be 2 or 2, and I will see which side works!

I am going to do a fine-double-fold edge on one side and sew it with a very fine sharp needle.
The other side I will consider melting either by my electric "seal-a-mealer" or bic lighter, (carefully) or heat weld. I know plastic shrivels. You eat the allowances if not careful.

You see, I played with plastics a lot. They shrivel depending on the composition. The chemical ingredients maintain (or not) the integrity of the material. But I bet you the double (seam allowance considered) fold-over & sew method will prevail for me. But I shall see. Once I get my lazy self to do it. Lol.

But this is intriguing as a subject.

ARBO said:
Superglue has worked for me
Superglue has a really high likelihood of working as stated above! A very thin line should be all you want to use. Take great care not to get it on your skin!!

Heat sealing is application sensitive and I am certain that the Manufacturer is not going to let the information out to the market place.

Not sure where you cost your personal time, but at the cost of a replacement pair you really have very little time to spend on this project, even if you are retired.Understanding that plastic pants are considered a disposable product as Vinyl will harden, crack and open up. Clearly, the manufacturer was having problems controlling heat and you plan on use?

Last edited:
Reactions: Angelapinks
Edgewater said:
Not sure where you cost your personal time, but at the cost of a replacement pair you really have very little time to spend on this project, even if you are retired.Understanding that plastic pants are considered a disposable product as Vinyl will harden, crack and open up.
I have to agree. In Canada, where you can buy 3 pair of Priva for about $12 (at $4 a pair), I would certainly just buy a new set. The new ones will have the special feature of being fresher smelling. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: greatlake5, Rusher, Woncrinklz and 2 others
I've worked extensively with heat sealing. You are almost certainly not going to get any sort of decent results with a soldering iron.
There are simply too many variables that must be controlled to properly heat seal a thin material like PVC film, that you'll never get consistently right with a soldering iron.

I'd suggest using something like 3M 4411N sealing tape, which is used for waterproofing things like trailer roofs and skylights. It's advertised as being tough, flexible, translucent, and sticks to many surfaces. A 1.5" x 15' roll is about $22 on Amazon, and that would last you through many, many pairs of PVC pants.

Reactions: Constantlydamp, Woncrinklz and Edgewater
slimjiminy said:
I have to agree. In Canada, where you can buy 3 pair of Priva for about $12 (at $4 a pair), I would certainly just buy a new set. The new ones will have the special feature of being fresher smelling. 🤣
I have many packs of the Priva plastic pants but I am really hooked on the thicker vinyl pants in colours but the supply seems to be limited these days, at least with suppliers in Canada. My all time love is the rubber pants from Kins but they too are in limited supply in my size. I have not had any new ones for some time. I bought some Omatsu rubber pants awhile ago from Rearz but now even they don't seem to be available. I would think that rubber being a natural product and plastics being taken off the market somewhat, the rubber ones would be a bit more marketable these days.

Reactions: Woncrinklz and Edgewater
slimjiminy said:
Ich muss zustimmen. In Kanada, wo man drei Paar Priva für etwa 12 US-Dollar kaufen kann (bei 4 US-Dollar pro Paar), würde ich auf jeden Fall einfach ein neues Set kaufen. Die neuen werden die Besonderheit haben, dass sie frischer riechen.🤣
Ja die PRVA sind auch in Großbritanien preisgünstig da ich aber in Deutschland wohne ist das Porto sehr hoch.

I use aqua seal for plastic pants repairs. It's a plastic specific glue.

Reactions: Angelapinks
I have used vinyl glue with pretty good success

I advise you not to try to sew the vinal seam back together. Even if you succeed, the hole that perforate the vinyl will ruin the waterproof effectiveness, and you will probably just ruin the garment. I recommend visiting JoAnn Fabrics or your local sewing or hobby shop and ask for a small tube of "Dritz® Instant Vinyl® Transparent Adhesive: Repairs cuts and tears in vinyl, leather, and fabric." You should be able to make the repair with this. I did and it worked for me.

Reactions: Angelapinks and Cottontail
Back