Running with incontinence.

derek245

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I'm wondering if any of you go running regularly, and what you do to manage your incontinence while you do so? I've been running a lot for the last few years and I tend to wear a much more thin nappy than usual while doing so to avoid chafing. Using a lot of baby powder around my thighs helps a lot as well. I also tend to take a route that circles around my home, and if I have an accident while running, I'll take a 15 minute break to go back inside and get myself cleaned up and changed. I also wear dark track pants since it makes it easier to cover up if I leak, but miraculously, that's only happened a few times and not too heavily.

I tend to pull my track pants up a bit too so no one will be able to see my nappy peaking out, but I run at night usually so there isn't too much risk either way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2, EcoIncon and Diaper44
I do everything in a plastic backed tabbed brief. Been incon for several years. But I don't run if I can avoid it 😉 really wish I would have stayed in shape...you have my respect sir. How ever the really high end attends premium briefs with tabs are very breathable and quite absorbent with good standing leak guards. If I was going to do physical activity that is probably my go-to attends premiere . Any accident they'll hold it can hold several large wettings and they have good fecal retention even diarrhea stays in pretty good 👍 I still prefer plastic backed for odor retention but ... And I'm rambling... Best of luck to y'all 👍😉

I use to go running diapered up regularly until I got planter fasciitis in both feet. Now I have to take a steady walk diapered. Such a great feeling tho running while diapered. Can’t wait to get back running

Reactions: Diprs2
I usually wear a cheap thin plastic diaper as that avoid rubbing my thighs painfully usually.. fun fact gotten a depends to last under just a half marathon before the tapes gave out from sweat XD

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2 and inconsurferdude
I've been profoundly IC since the beginning. I don't let anything stop me including running. When I go out for a run I always use a quality diaper. In the beginning I used to get rashes which I hated. I developed a system which seems to work well. I always start with a dry diaper. Next I wear compression shorts which I tighten up around the diaper right up my crotch. I crunch up the bulge of my diaper right between my legs. The elastics of the compression shorts don't burn my skin when I run. Then some loose shorts or running pants. No big deal. I work out every other day and I run 3 times per week (5 miles with 6 minute rate). I use this system for golf, tennis and softball.

Reactions: Diprs2 and kayakbaby
+1 for the compression pants, though I don't run. I do walk from time to time however.

I jog almost daily and for years now almost always in the three-tape plastic-backed Depends. I think I've mentioned them before as Attends but I just Googled it and they're definitely Depends. I get them a few packs at a time from the supermarket but have always thrown the wrapper away before fluffing them out to store them on my closet shelf with all of my regular daytime ATNs. For jogging I usually wear the Depends with a onesie (no plastic pants) but on the hottest days the tape system on these keeps them held up even when I wear them just under shorts and a tee-shirt. They barely last as long as my run though so I have to change into them right before and out of them right after. Super discreet even when totally wet but also barely absorbent compared to the ATNs.

greatlake5 said:
The elastics of the compression shorts don't burn my skin when I run.
+2 for compression shorts.

I am a marathon runner and I simply use a very thin cloth diaper with an ultimate absorbency disposable pad inside. I wear compression shorts over this to minimize the bulge and provide extra comfort. If I have an accident, I just change the pad. I carry an extra pad or two for my really long runs so it's easy to just swap without having to go all the way home.

Reactions: Diprs2, DiaperDiva, FelixS and 1 other person
Friction's the enemy here, so it's important to keep that down to a minimum.

The setup that works for me is incontinence briefs under compression shorts under a tight-ish pair of cotton briefs. This provides enough support for around an 8 mile run / plod. It might work for longer distances but I've got other priorities! The only problem is that I sweat out the wings, which can cause chafing to the front and to the outside of the thighs. I take a small cloth to dry the area from time to time, which removes the risk. Hope this helps.

Back