Prize in cereal box

@BobbiSueEllen and let's not forget most cereals are extremely unhealthy and loaded with sugar.
but we also eat cake with liquid sugar on top for breakfast 🤪

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and BobbiSueEllen
Seems everything is unhealthy. Who said the old saying "If you want to live long, don't breathe"? 🫢🤔

• Haha
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, foxkits and SparkyDog
EagleBoy said:
Whatever happen to those days where you received a prize in a cereal box.
I'm gonna say between1976 to1988 depending on witch cereal box you got you received a prize in the box.
stickers, dollar or less toy, I remember receiving a coupon for Dairy Queen.
Are they just too damn cheap do to that anymore?
I don't know what you're talking about...
IMG_20240427_232903037-01.jpeg
😁
Still one of these somewhere in my cupboard:
Screenshot_20240427-112428-01.jpeg
One of the best for teasing girls 🤭
Also got a Tony The Tiger keyfob (adapted from 'whatever it was supposed to be' by a simple splitpin).... somewhere.

Maybe it's the modern machinery which doesn't lend to it?
Back in the day, machinery tended to be ad-hoc, component parts, more suitable for use in cramped, seemingly chaotically planned olden buildings which had had a different purpose in days gone by. Nowadays, there's all these ugly, monstrously bland, huge boxes popping up all over the place, and they have the uncluttered floorspace and massive doors suitable for large, all-in-one production machines (like the modern disposable diaper machines).

I remember how the toys used to be shoved inbetween the bag and box, rather than in the cereal.
We weren't exposed to the level of commercial child exploitation as in the US, so it was all a much tamer affair, over here. Many makers went for 'token collecting' instead (eg: cut out the token, or whatever, from 30 boxes for a free pencil eraser, etc).
Had some good ones, though: rubber band shooter and one of those styrofoam gliders that were about 35p in the shops at the time 🤭.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and PadPhilosopher
Stop it now you are making me feel old. They do not have the commercials like they use too either. Remember Tony the tiger. We had a classmate in first grade that tried to mimic him jumping off of a roof. He said "there great!! as he pointed his arm and jumped off of a stone wall. He was out of school the rest of the year in a body cast from the armpits down. Broke both legs and his pelvis I remember going to visit him=m and he had shit himself and I guess it was like the tenth time in a week. His grandma was tending to him as his parents was out at work. I remember her yelling at him and spanking his ass for pooping without asking for a bed pan. I remember it pissing my mom off when she spanked him. She told that grandma have you ever thought the cast might be to tight pushing on nerves or the swelling is pushing on them. She also said his hips are in a cast for broken bones do you think spanking him on the butt is good? But I remember her changing his diaper right their on the hospital bed they had in the living room. In front of us. My mom would tell it like it was. I remember her telling everyone how that grandma was treating him for something he could not control.

I also remember feeling jealous of him for that big plaster cast. That is the day I learned I had a fetish for cast.I always have no idea why but much like the members her with a desire to use diapers I find cast being restrictive and fun. I have only ever had two cast and both of them was for broken bones. No I did not break my knee and ankle for the fun of a cast. I was in a cast from my thigh to my toes for 6 or 7 weeks in middle school because I am a idiot. But I enjoyed the cast and it just made the desire even more. I love to see women in a cast. No clue why it is just a turn on. So I am not a true DL as I use them for incontinence only but I can understand the desire. A lot of people with cast fetish do spell over into a diaper fetish too..

Reactions: PadPhilosopher
I used to babysit my younger cousins and I couldn't tell you how many fights/temper tantrums took place over the freaking toy in a cereal box. 1 freaking toy, 3 kids. One of the stupidest marketing gimmicks to ever come about.
Anyone know what it's like having 3 freaking kids, all under the age of 7 fighting over a worthless cheap ass toy at 630 in the morning? Then add my aunt to the mix yelling at them to stop fighting and promising the other 2 that they will get the toy next time.

• Haha
Reactions: slimjiminy, PadPhilosopher and LittleAndAlone
As an elementary school child, the little plastic Winnie-The-Pooh figurines in cereal boxes got me to go to the library and read A. A. Milne. Imagine that! 🤪😇

1714305205215.png

Top row (from the left) is Kanga with Roo, Winnie-the-Pooh, Eeyore, and Christopher Robin. Bottom row is Owl, Piglet, and Rabbit. There was no Tigger. They came in assorted colors.

• Love
PaigeCherubiel said:
As an elementary school child, the little plastic Winnie-The-Pooh figurines in cereal boxes got me to go to the library and read A. A. Milne. Imagine that! 🤪😇

View attachment 135166

Top row (from the left) is Kanga with Roo, Winnie-the-Pooh, Eeyore, and Christopher Robin. Bottom row is Owl, Piglet, and Rabbit. There was no Tigger. They came in assorted colors.
What's with the hole in their backsides? Were they pencil toppers, or was that just lazy molding?

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
PadPhilosopher said:
What's with the hole in their backsides? Were they pencil toppers, or was that just lazy molding?
"Wow, that's gotta hoit!" 🫢🤭

• Wow
Reactions: PadPhilosopher
They were pencil-toppers, they can wedge onto a spoon handle, and their hands can hang on the outside rim of a bowl or glass. The pencil hole in Eeyore gives you an idea of how large they were. As I recall, you could get all 7 for 50 cents and a couple of boxtops. Later versions omitted the hole, for obvious reasons. 🤪😇

PaigeCherubiel said:
they can wedge onto a spoon handle,
Ahh, that's what the Tony The Tiger thing is (now I remember!).
Ta, fer t' jolt! 😁

(If only I could find it 🤭)

• Haha
Just remembered that the last 'prizes' I got were those changey colour spoons, in the 00's. Got quite a few of them, but I can't find any, atm. They were in either Frosties or Rice Krispies.

slimjiminy said:
I think it is a good thing they don't do that anymore, at least as far as plastic junk that just ends up being discarded. If you also think about all that plastic that is sold for kids toys big and small that eventually ends up at the end of the driveway and in the dump -- it is an enormous environmental hazard. Even worse now is all those toys that now include electronics that ends up being discarded in the same way.
The reason they don't put toys in cereal box's anymore one word "Lawsuits" it cost a lot of money for insurance anytime you make something for a child. From toys children can swallow to bunk beds a child can roll out to a toy box with sharp corners. If someone thinks they can make money of General Mills they will. Last month someone filed a lawsuit against Hershey because a piece of candy didn't look the same on the wraper as it did in the wraper. I couldn't find an attorney to take the case for my mother who died from a botched surgery. Crazy Ha!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen and PadPhilosopher
Back