practice what I tell others

I've know you feel like everyone's watching you take a backpack or briefcase into the bathroom, but most of that is like the feeling you probably had when you started wearing diapers. Remember feeling like everyone was starting at you, noticing the bulk or the crinkly noises? Eventually you probably found that nobody even noticed, and if someone were to notice they wouldn't care.

Talking a bag into the restroom is just like that. Few people will pay any attention, and even those who do pay attention are unlikely to care enough to ask.

If somebody does why you're taking a backpack with you into the restroom, though, tell them that it has eight pounds of black tar heroin, $400,000 in cash, and a pistol, and you don't want to just leave it laying around. Or tell them that it has your collection of Ming dynasty vases and it's too valuable not to take with you. Make the story outlandish and funny so they know you're joking, and it ends up being a reasonably polite way of telling them that you're not going to tell them what's really in there.

If someone were to really press you on it (security, maybe, thinking you're stealing stuff from the store), tell them that it has your medication and leave it at that. I frequently carry a laptop bag with several meds that I have to take, and nobody's asked why I'm taking my laptop into the bathroom.

Last edited:
I remember that the person who asks the question is a woman, so I guess she uses a handbag, and for a woman it does not seem strange what a handbag she brings with her.

If you're asked that question, just say it's a medical issue. They might then guess it's nappies, or they might guess something else... but they probably won't mention it again in any case.

ltaluv said:
I've know you feel like everyone's watching you take a backpack or briefcase into the bathroom, but most of that is like the feeling you probably had when you started wearing diapers. Remember feeling like everyone was starting at you, noticing the bulk or the crinkly noises? Eventually you probably found that nobody even noticed, and if someone were to notice they wouldn't care.

Talking a bag into the restroom is just like that. Few people will pay any attention, and even those who do pay attention are unlikely to care enough to ask.

If somebody does why you're taking a backpack with you into the restroom, though, tell them that it has eight pounds of black tar heroin, $400,000 in cash, and a pistol, and you don't want to just leave it laying around. Or tell them that it has your collection of Ming dynasty vases and it's too valuable not to take with you. Make the story outlandish and funny so they know you're joking, and it ends up being a reasonably polite way of telling them that you're not going to tell them what's really in there.

If someone were to really press you on it (security, maybe, thinking you're stealing stuff from the store), tell them that it has your medication and leave it at that. I frequently carry a laptop bag with several meds that I have to take, and nobody's asked why I'm taking my laptop into the bathroom.

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of telling them you don't just like reading a book while on the toilet but like to write them instead. That's why you carry a full typewriter with you (you're old fashioned so hence the large bag). Either that or maybe you could say "it's personal, and you don't want to get into it", or maybe even just "it's for medical reasons, is that ok with you" and let them get embarrassed for a change. Really though, IF anyone really should ask (which is unlikely), all you have to remember is you have absolutely NO obligation to defend yourself. Your bathroom habits are personal and your's alone. No matter the reason.

Slomo said:
Well, I was thinking more along the lines of telling them you don't just like reading a book while on the toilet but like to write them instead. That's why you carry a full typewriter with you (you're old fashioned so hence the large bag). Either that or maybe you could say "it's personal, and you don't want to get into it", or maybe even just "it's for medical reasons, is that ok with you" and let them get embarrassed for a change. Really though, IF anyone really should ask (which is unlikely), all you have to remember is you have absolutely NO obligation to defend yourself. Your bathroom habits are personal and your's alone. No matter the reason.

The simplest thing would be to stop bothering for nothing. no ?

Just a note at one time I worked for a bus company and as a cost saving measure they wanted the drivers share a room when out of town. I approached my boss about my need to wear diapers at night and she was completely supportive of me and made sure that I got my own room so I could keep it private.
winterheart01 said:
Doesn't any of your colleagues ask why you always take your backpack to the restroom? Happened to me a couple of times in different companies, having to pass 40 ppl before you are in the restroom is unfortunately attracting many eyes ( in my case)
I don't work in an office I was a truck and bus driver until I retired last year. everybody carried some sort of bag or something. When I am out in public I do the same thing with the backpack and nobody ever questioned it. If you go through some security check point like at the airport or a sporting event they may look in the backpack they will close it up and not say a word.

Last edited:
Back