Post shave bumps and irritation - any solutions?

LePew

Staying dry in the city of rain
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
So after shaving the area typically covered by a diaper, I get bumps and irritation all over that area, no surprise I guess, I am diapering up after I shave. But is there a way to prevent this? How about ti treat it afterwards?

Reactions: Edgewater
Shaving irritation bumps can be treated 4 main ways:
  1. Pre-shaving steps. To minimize irritation, make sure the area is moisturized with something before shaving. This commonly includes shaving cream, soap, or gel. Some people use extra creams or oils to help.
  2. Shaving steps. The direction you shave with or against the hair can affect irritation levels. Shaving against the grain will give you a closer shave, but also produce more irritation. You can consider shaving with the grain for less irritation if you don't mind a shave quite as close. Using shaving tools with fewer blades or duller blades can also provide less irritation on your skin. Consider a single edge or double edge razor instead of a multi-edge razor. Or, consider an electric trimmer with an adjustable guard.
  3. Post-shaving steps. After you have shaved, you can use anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial agents to reduce swelling and redness. Witch hazel, aloe vera, and skin moisturizers are common examples of anti-inflammatory agents.
  4. Long-term removal. Some people are more prone to ingrown hairs and such. This generally depends on your hair type. People with hair that grows out in a straight fashion typically have less of an issue while people with coarse or curly hairs tend to be more likely to have ingrown hairs and bumps from shaving. The long-term solution to permanently deal with this is to either a) get laser hair reduction, which reduces the severity of hair growth or b) get electrolysis, which permanently removes individual follicles' ability to grow. Both are costly. Both can cause discomfort and pain while getting treated. Both have potential side effects and require consultation prior to treatment. Laser is less costly, but only electrolysis can truly achieve permanence. Electrolysis is more labour and time intensive, since it focuses on individual hair follicles at a time.
I hope that helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: gdzone5507, TigerDL, Edgewater and 3 others
Always make sure to use some type of antibacterial or changes frequently if you are going to wear after shaving. I had a gluteal abscess removed about 3 weeks ago and I can tell you it was pure hell. Now it didn’t occurred because of diaper wearing but it sure made being padded due to bedwetting a problem.

Took a week for the infection to get to a point that they could drain it and then another 2 weeks for it to heal to a point I could be active again. There is no good treatment for an abscess in the buttocks region and all you can really do is drain, pack the wound, and let it heal from inside to out. All the while trying to prevent another infection. And don’t get me going about the complications of fistulas.

Needless to say, if you shave down there be super careful and clean.

Reactions: LePew, Edgewater, LittleTyke and 1 other person
Some years ago, I switched from shaving to waxing. Although I do get the occasional ingrown hair, waxing makes much less irritation than shaving.

Edit: Silly typo

Last edited:
Reactions: LePew, Edgewater and PadPhilosopher
I shave my groin every day and haven't had any trouble with bumps or ingrown there in ages. As it's just me, I can't say there's any direct connection but maybe keep at it a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: LePew, Edgewater and PadPhilosopher
I have eczema so I use CeraVe Red which helps my skin irritation. I wonder if that would help you, using it after or before and after shaving?

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and LePew
MudPuppy said:
I shave my groin every day and haven't had any trouble with bumps or ingrown there in ages. As it's just me, I can't say there's any direct connection but maybe keep at it a while.
I shave every day and keep things toddler-smooth. I, too, got red bumps and ingrown hairs when I started shaving my diaper area. After keeping at it a while, those things are largely gone. Instead of using shaving cream I use Dove for Men soap, and I replace my razor weekly. I use long, slow strokes and shave in all directions.

Reactions: southeastlittle, LePew and PadPhilosopher
I just ordered one of these for folliculitis

This is so annoying, I’d love to shave more and resume my IPL treatment plan but every time I shave I have a really bad 1-2 weeks with irritation.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher
oldpppants said:
I shave every day and keep things toddler-smooth. I, too, got red bumps and ingrown hairs when I started shaving my diaper area. After keeping at it a while, those things are largely gone. Instead of using shaving cream I use Dove for Men soap, and I replace my razor weekly. I use long, slow strokes and shave in all directions.
What kind of razor do you use?

Once you start shaving you have to stay with it, after a while your skin gets conditioned to it... I use a Venus razor with shower gel, then after I dry off cover the whole area with Desitin daily defense....

LePew said:
So after shaving the area typically covered by a diaper, I get bumps and irritation all over that area, no surprise I guess, I am diapering up after I shave. But is there a way to prevent this? How about ti treat it afterwards?
Good evening/morning all! I use a product called Gillette Intimate which is basically a pubic shave cream & cleanser for downstairs and around back. I also use Gillette Intimate razors. My next advice which took me many years to finally figure out are:
  • Have you jumped into a pool and the water was so cold or got in the shower and all of the sudden the hot water turns off then you get zapped with ice cold water? Gentlemen, I think we've all been there correct? Its like a a frightened turtle going into their shell quickly. If you attempt to shave with those conditions your going to either cut yourself and most definitely have irritation. Shave in the shower/bath etc. with warm/hot water so that everything is hanging low. Certainly did not mean to sound crude
  • Use shave products specifically for intimate areas. There are plenty out there to choose from, sort of a trial and error until you find a product that you enjoy
  • I can not emphasize this enough - TAKE YOUR TIME WHEN SHAVING!! Again, TAKE YOUR TIME WHEN SHAVING!!
  • Use plenty of intimate shaving cream. If the razor does not glide easily onto areas where you are shaving, stop and reapply
  • While your shaving, make sure to clean your razor very well and often. Just like shaving your face, you need to clean the razor so the blades are clear of any hair. If you did not clean the razor and continue to shave you would be pulling the hair and obviously the razor would be a mess. Imagine doing that down there? OUCH!
  • Maintenance! Maintenance! Maintenance! It's easier to shave if the hairs are shorter than trying to shave a bush. I know some men/women shave everyday or other day or two days etc. Find a routine that works for you and stick with it. Personally, I usually shave every two to four days and that works for me
  • After you've dried off completely from your shower/bath air out completely. Make sure to use a post-shave cream with no dyes or alcohol. I use a product called Manscaped Crop Soother. See attached picture. It soothes the skin and relieve that post shave itchiness. I even use it the following day or so if I feel irritatedor itchy. After it is absorbed onto skin use whatever barrier cream you desire.
I know this is long winded but I hope this helps out. Hope all is well & take care.

Attachments

• INTIMATE POST-SHAVE CREAM.jpg
    INTIMATE POST-SHAVE CREAM.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: PadPhilosopher and LePew
southeastlittle said:
What kind of razor do you use?
I use a generic version of the Gillette 4-blade razor. The above poster makes a good point about airing out after shaving in the shower. I put on a shirt and go bare-butt for at least 30 minutes before re-diapering or putting on big-boy underpants.

Reactions: HereWeGo2169 and PadPhilosopher
Ok, I’m old school. I find that if I wipe down the shaved area with isopropyl alcohol, I don’t have any problems. The first time you do it it burns a bit. But not I even use it on my bald and taint without any real issue.

Back