Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Diaperfur
  4. Incontinent
  5. Other
Hey !

I am about to purchase either the little kings or the Alphagatorz diaper. I would like to know your opinion about both of those diapers and tell me your preference if there are any ? can't make a choice..

Back to the main question, i would like to know if there is really a difference on wearing plastic diapers and cloth backing diapers ? i have noticed that both the little kings and alphagatorz diapers are cloth backing, but i have never experienced a non-plastic backing before.
Thats why i would like to know from your own experience the good and the bad points of it.

Thank you very much, have a great day

Generally speaking, it kind of depends if the manufacturer is using a perforated back sheet or not. Or, "breathable". Not all cloth backed diapers are breathable though.

In my opinion, breathable diapers are pretty terrible for sitting around the house, but pretty awesome for being outside in hot humid weather.

Reactions: Angelapinks
I have tried many different cloth backed diapers and every one that I have tried has been a fail I only use plastic backed diapers

Reactions: Deleted member 56273, SofiaInPampers, Angelapinks and 4 others
I have and have used both. I would recommend bags of each to get the right sizes and who knows maybe one or the other isn’t the answer, maybe it’s both.

As far as cloth or plastic and I’m a die hard plastic fan, BUT with a few exceptions. Basically, any ABU diaper that’s a scaled up replica of a baby diaper. Again, back to my authenticity thing, I want to wear baby diapers, since I cannot (practically) then these satisfy that urge.

They are damn cute. I’m oft trying to get them to look like a baby diaper on me. They’re very close already. I can’t say I haven’t put one over a Better Dry to get the right puffy look in all the right spots. My wife was shocked that I was wearing a baby diaper. I later told her that it basically is, but ABU made them bigger.

They are laughably cute and have the awe factor.

I save them for certain moods.

One other exception I make is for the Attends Premier. They are SO like scaled up Huggies or Pampers. It’s easy to take a Swaddlers, and Velcro the Attends fasteners to the Swaddlers (when on you). With the Swaddlers laying against the front of the Attends. Then Velcro the Swaddlers fasteners under my crotch to the Attends. Looks very convincing considering there’s no cutting, adhesive, or tools needed. Just making an Attends/Swaddlers hybrid. Those have a nice feel to them when on. Again, this is just for novelty.

Last edited:
Reactions: BenNevis
From my experiences with both the Alphagatorz and Little Kings, I’ve personally found them to perform well in terms of absorbency, fit and comfort, even though they are not plastic backed.

However as an AB, cloth backed or not, these fit the bill very most closely as an actual baby’s nappy. The designs are really cute and the pastel colours of them really help send me into little space. So, if you’re buying them as a AB or Little, I’d say the do the job very well and the cloth backing is no detriment to their performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: KCA and lilbabyjooce
Just a couple of things, mainly from use over many years and observation of others on here who have commented on this subject.
Plastic backed can be noisier in the "crinkles" department, they may be warmer and sweatier in hot weather, but they tend to keep odours contained well and for longer.
Also they tend to resist stretching so remain as they were when first put on.
Cloth backed as they are called will stretch fairly quickly and may not stay tight on you for long, they also do not retain odours very well and can get hot and sweatie too.
I would also reccomend PLASTIC or PUL pants are advised with both types of Nappy as they slow down the egress of unwanted odours.
good luck in your choice.

Last edited:
While I prefer plastic back disposable diapers, I also like some variety so at the moment I have on an Attends Premier diaper with a pair of SatintheMaidenUSA diaper pants. I am wet, but not soaked. The Attends Premier diapers are convenient for me to buy because there is a medical supply store 5-10 minutes away that carries them.

Reactions: KarinFlory
I grew up in the 1960s, when plastic-backed disposables were still quite a novelty. My mother used Curity cloth diapers and plastic pants. I guess I always liked the ‘look’ of the early Pampers and I used plastic-bacued disposable diapers until a few years ago.

However, cloth-backed disposables have something to recommend them, even without considering ABU’s latest products, which I love. If I’m out in hot weather in a cloth-backed disposable, I don t feel like I’m going to die. A plastic-backed diapdiaper in hot weather, on the other hand, becomes decidedly uncomfortable quite quickly.

Reactions: Angelapinks
For me, cloth backed are the ultimate, they just feel more authentic.
They're also way better in warm weather as you don't get that sticky sweaty feeling

Reactions: BenNevis
I don't like cloth back diapers personally. The tabs are more like a velcro and don't stay on as well. They don't crinkle lol. I prefer plastic back because the tabs stay once applied they make noise. Best of all plastic back you can get prints and colors depending on brand. My favorite diaper is Krinklz. They cost a bit more. But there more absorbent so less changes prints and crinkle. So the higher price seams worth it to me. Just an opinion.

KarinFlory said:
Hey !

I am about to purchase either the little kings or the Alphagatorz diaper. I would like to know your opinion about both of those diapers and tell me your preference if there are any ? can't make a choice..

Back to the main question, i would like to know if there is really a difference on wearing plastic diapers and cloth backing diapers ? i have noticed that both the little kings and alphagatorz diapers are cloth backing, but i have never experienced a non-plastic backing before.
Thats why i would like to know from your own experience the good and the bad points of it.

Thank you very much, have a great day
Here is an answer for you. Buy Plastic pants. Then see how much moisture is in the plastic pants after using both diapers.

Plastic versus cloth all comes down to preference. For me i personally like the plastic and the crinkle. I really like SDK because they remind of Pampers from when i was a kid and first really discovered my like for diapers. I do have both of the new ones from ABU and like them both but the tapes don’t seem to be as strong. I like them because they look and feel like current authentic diapers but as i said i prefer plastic backed. That being said i will definitely give the new rearz a try.

Reactions: Diapertoddler
Yup as @eastcoastdl24 said it ultimately comes down to preference. Typically the diapers you grew up with is a factor as well—I was born in the 2000s so cloth backed is the ultimate nostalgia for me!
Personally, I think cloth backed are comfier, cozier and far more convenient (easier to hide, easier to adjust tapes, easy to pull to the side if you don’t want to use them, etc). They have really proven themselves in terms of breath ability and managing the heat of the summer for me as well! I don’t mind plastic as the majority of ABDL diapees are, but my heart will always belong to cloth!

Reactions: Anemone, KarinFlory, BenNevis and 1 other person
lilbabyjooce said:
Yup as @eastcoastdl24 said it ultimately comes down to preference. Typically the diapers you grew up with is a factor as well—I was born in the 2000s so cloth backed is the ultimate nostalgia for me!
Personally, I think cloth backed are comfier, cozier and far more convenient (easier to hide, easier to adjust tapes, easy to pull to the side if you don’t want to use them, etc). They have really proven themselves in terms of breath ability and managing the heat of the summer for me as well! I don’t mind plastic as the majority of ABDL diapees are, but my heart will always belong to cloth!
Here is what I found. When I use Cloth back diapers, They do let moisture out. Here is how I found this out. I had a cloth diaper on with plastic pants. I had it on for 10 hours without wetting in it. No Moisture in the plastic pants. But I wet once in the same type Cloth type diaper and had it on for a few hours. Had about dampness on the plastic pants.

Reactions: CptKirk
This puppy very much prefers plastic shell diapers, however keeps some preschool cloth like covered diapers around to help manage a bad heat rash as it seems to help heal faster. Bedsides cloth backed weeping moisture and trending to stretch and sag easier, don't like the feeling of cloth and the often Velcro tapes don't hold as well and will often snag on pants and bedding. Also don't appreciate the texture of Velcro taping panels.

We all got different experiences and preferences however, it's ok if your not as kewl as this plastic backed puppy!

Reactions: Deleted member 56273
Little Kings & AlphaGatorZ are the same diaper with different prints, so it comes down to personal preference (AlphaGatorZ for me!). Not that I am biased but this is the best textile backing I have found, the tapes hold well and there is no stretch & sag and smells are better contained. Plastic bacled products definitely hold up better under arduous use than textile backed (the textile backing is still a plastic layer albeit it abotu 1/3 of the thickness with a non-woven (spun) plastic intended to feel like textile over the top which provides more structural support to the thinner plastic.

'Clothlike backing' is a joke. It is a feeble aesthetic concession by diaper manufacturers to environmentalism in order to retain market share. No matter how 'clothy' diapers are made, they still contain synthetic SAP and are much less recyclable than diapers without SAP. Fanfold Pampers had instructions on how to flush the padding & waste down the toilet on their fanfold diaper boxes, making them far more environmentally-friendly than any clothlike-backed, SAP-loaded diaper out there (and they used recyclable boxes, not bags!). Plus, the feel-good non-oriented-fiber outer layer began coming loose or apart on adult diapers...and the thin inner-layer 'breathable' plastic sheet seeped...or, in some cases, could open up under stress.

I use only solid-plastic diapers because clothlike-backing is a hypocrisy. Yes, I said it: hypocrisy. Solid-backed prevents seeping & leaks far better than clothlike, plus their tapes perform far better. They all end up in the same landfill, so why not? I honestly see little to no volumetric difference of plastic between the two...and I've changed thousands of clothlike Luvs diapers on my grandkids.

Clothlike, or any disposable for that matter, would be less hypocritical if SAPs weren't involved: even with emerging biodegradable SAPs developed from cuttlefish and other seafood waste, they'll still be unflushable...but considerably more environmentally-friendly than synthetic SAP in a landfill.

When you get right down to it, the most earth-friendly disposable diapers made were those made with no SAPs or "wetness-acquisition zones"...i.e. pure, unadulterated wood pulp, such as all disposables made before 1980 and most before c. 1985. You could flush all the pulp away with no ill consequence to your plumbing (septics may be different), then toss the plastic sheet/rayon backsheet with far less consequence to the environment than any disposable diaper offered today.

But in the end, if you prefer the feel of clothlike, then wear 'em for that reason. But if you prefer better security from leaks, solid-shell's the way to go. And if you prefer cloth diapers...pin & PP up. It all depends what you're willing to put up with, regarding cost, time, effort and conscience...and no one corner of those four is the most important. Again, just my .0000009 Bitcoin. 🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: Lestat, eastcoastdl, Deleted member 56273 and 1 other person
They absorb a lot, but they always weep a little. Still, in my opinion, you can't beat the aesthetics.

Last edited:
BobbiSueEllen said:
'Clothlike backing' is a joke. It is a feeble aesthetic concession by diaper manufacturers to environmentalism in order to retain market share. No matter how 'clothy' diapers are made, they still contain synthetic SAP and are much less recyclable than diapers without SAP. Fanfold Pampers had instructions on how to flush the padding & waste down the toilet on their fanfold diaper boxes, making them far more environmentally-friendly than any clothlike-backed, SAP-loaded diaper out there (and they used recyclable boxes, not bags!). Plus, the feel-good non-oriented-fiber outer layer began coming loose or apart on adult diapers...and the thin inner-layer 'breathable' plastic sheet seeped...or, in some cases, could open up under stress.

I use only solid-plastic diapers because clothlike-backing is a hypocrisy. Yes, I said it: hypocrisy. Solid-backed prevents seeping & leaks far better than clothlike, plus their tapes perform far better. They all end up in the same landfill, so why not? I honestly see little to no volumetric difference of plastic between the two...and I've changed thousands of clothlike Luvs diapers on my grandkids.

Clothlike, or any disposable for that matter, would be less hypocritical if SAPs weren't involved: even with emerging biodegradable SAPs developed from cuttlefish and other seafood waste, they'll still be unflushable...but considerably more environmentally-friendly than synthetic SAP in a landfill.

When you get right down to it, the most earth-friendly disposable diapers made were those made with no SAPs or "wetness-acquisition zones"...i.e. pure, unadulterated wood pulp, such as all disposables made before 1980 and most before c. 1985. You could flush all the pulp away with no ill consequence to your plumbing (septics may be different), then toss the plastic sheet/rayon backsheet with far less consequence to the environment than any disposable diaper offered today.

But in the end, if you prefer the feel of clothlike, then wear 'em for that reason. But if you prefer better security from leaks, solid-shell's the way to go. And if you prefer cloth diapers...pin & PP up. It all depends what you're willing to put up with, regarding cost, time, effort and conscience...and no one corner of those four is the most important. Again, just my .0000009 Bitcoin. 🤔
I highly agree Clothlike backing' is a joke

Reactions: Deleted member 56273 and BobbiSueEllen
I have tried many different cloth backed diapers and every one that I have tried has been a fail I only use plastic backed diapers

Reactions: NappiedTruckDriver, Deleted member 56273 and BobbiSueEllen
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back