Guest viewing is limited
  • Guests can only view a limited number of pages. Please log in or register to remove this limit.
  • 2 guest views remaining

Plastic threatened again, in the news

slimjiminy

Diabetes, type-2
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Countries are for the first time considering restrictions on the global production of plastic -- to reduce it by 40% in 15 years -- in an attempt to protect human health and the environment. From a report:As the world attempts to make a treaty to cut plastic waste at UN talks in Ottawa, Canada, two countries have put forward the first concrete proposal to limit production to reduce its harmful effects including the huge carbon emissions from producing it. The motion submitted by Rwanda and Peru sets out a global reduction target, ambitiously termed a "north star," to cut the production of primary plastic polymers across the world by 40% by 2040, from a 2025 baseline.

It says: "The effectiveness of both supply and demand-side measures will be assessed, in whole or in part, on their success in reducing the production of primary plastic polymers to sustainable levels." The proposal calls for the consideration of mandatory reporting by countries of statistical data on production, imports and exports of primary plastic polymers. A global plastic reduction target would be similar to the legally binding Paris agreement to pursue efforts to limit global temperature increase to 1.5C above preindustrial levels, Rwanda and Peru said.
It's no secret that plastic is being threatened by the need for waste reduction. I used cloth-backed briefs. Where I feel the pinch in the lack of plastic grocery bags.

Reactions: Angelapinks and PadPhilosopher
slimjiminy said:
It's no secret that plastic is being threatened by the need for waste reduction. I used cloth-backed briefs. Where I feel the pinch in the lack of plastic grocery bags.
“Cloth backed” diapers are still plastic though. The cloth is surely synthetic fibers.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: dlSwimmer, PricklyPear, ChrisChris and 7 others
Wouldn't be surprised to see a plastic tax on some non essential items
If Abena stops making the plastic backed diaper im gonna have no idea what I'll do it's my go to diaper for so long now

Reactions: Kayleigh, soggybottoms8882, Angelapinks and 2 others
SparkyDog said:
Wouldn't be surprised to see a plastic tax on some non essential items
If Abena stops making the plastic backed diaper im gonna have no idea what I'll do it's my go to diaper for so long now
I think that Tena and Abena make quite similar diapers. Might switch to Tena - unless they stop as well.

Reactions: RuffRuff and PadPhilosopher
If plastic was banned, that would be the end of the disposable diaper. Everybody would have to go back to cloth and plastic pants.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, littledub1955, baliebox4916 and 3 others
Honeywell6180 said:
If plastic was banned, that would be the end of the disposable diaper. Everybody would have to go back to cloth and plastic pants.
As that would be inconvenient to many politicians and their families too, I doubt that this will happen.

Reactions: DLonly, PadPhilosopher, soggybottoms8882 and 3 others
LittleTyke said:
I think that Tena and Abena make quite similar diapers. Might switch to Tena - unless they stop as well.
In my area Tena makes no plastic backed diaper
everything is cloth backed
Right now Abena still makes a plastic version just hope they can continue

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and Angelapinks
I use northshores Megamax, and if I had to switch to a cloth backed one it would be the megamax, cloth backed, same like abena they are basically the same, only difference is the cloth back for me gets damp, and you can smell odors more than a plastic backed

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Angelapinks, soggybottoms8882 and 1 other person
I dread the day when all nappies go clothe. Although I don't hate clothe nappies I much prefer plastic backed ones for their durability, hardly any sagging and keeping smells in.

Reactions: surprise35, PadPhilosopher, Angelapinks and 2 others
I can't see plastic backed nappies going away any time soon. As others have said, even the cloth backed disposables are still composed of plastic. It just wouldn't be workable without a viable replacement. Sectors like health and care simply would not be able to manage without such a core product. Then there's the fact that disposables will have a market and as long as a company can make a profit on them, you can be pretty certain they'll be available. Maybe there'll be some added environmental taxes but in all honesty I think the disposable nappy with all the plastic parts within it is here to stay.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Angelapinks, soggybottoms8882 and 1 other person
To echo what others have said, "cloth backed" still has a plastic shell with just a thin cloth outer layer over it. I don't think it's possible to have something be reliably waterproof without involving some form of plastic or plastic-like material.

I really prefer and like plastic backed waaaay more than cloth backed so I hope there isn't a ban or additional price hikes added to plastic (which would also affect cloth backed). I use to be strongly anti cloth backed because I liked plastic so much more, but since the release of the Little Kings, AlphaGatorZ, and TryAgains I've come around a bit more to the cloth side of things and do enjoy them now too, but I like my plastic diapers! D:<

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Angelapinks and BOXERSORBRIEFS
Honeywell6180 said:
um what about the plastic pants in that theory ?

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: Angelapinks and avery
SparkyDog said:
I use forsite diapers that are soft plastic backed. I love them but there is also Reaz InControl plastic backed and Tranquility ATN.

Reactions: soggybottoms8882
Honeywell6180 said:
Yeah I can't see that happening because disposable diapers (and incontinence products generally) are too convenient, I mean it will just means a lot more washing would be produced if disposable diapers are banned plus going out would become a pain for people.

I don't think hospitals, nursing homes and other care facilities could cope with the volumes of washable incontinence products that would be required to replace disposables especially with a ageing population

Reactions: Angelapinks, soggybottoms8882 and lilcamper
TheMat said:
“Cloth backed” diapers are still plastic though. The cloth is surely synthetic fibers.
I don't believe that, as I use TENA Super every night. The whole brief feels like it is made out of paper, with the exception of the SAP. The only plastic in them AFAIK is the hook fasteners.

I was thinking about plastic pants as well. If there were only cloth backed diapers, I could see people wearing plastic pants over their cloth backed diapers and then there would be even more plastic in the landfill.

Reactions: soggybottoms8882 and Angelapinks
dogboy said:
I was thinking about plastic pants as well. If there were only cloth backed diapers, I could see people wearing plastic pants over their cloth backed diapers and then there would be even more plastic in the landfill.
Plastic pants get washed and reused until they crack. When properly cared for, they last for months.

Reactions: Angelapinks
My view is that actually they'll probably try to keep similar design and feel (for brand purposes) but start mixing in more biodegradable polymers little by little for consumers to accept so there is less of a drastic shift in a short time period.

Reactions: LittleTyke and Subtlerustle
SparkyDog said:
Oh...
Plastic backed Tenas are available from saveexpress.de, but that probably doesn't help you much due to expensive shipment and import tax.

Reactions: SparkyDog
Cloth backed disposables are indeed still plastic- thinner backsheet with a non-woven (spun) plastic on the top for reinforcement, it's not textile/tree based at all.
As I've said before, incontinence items will never be restricted by governments- doing so would impact heavily on disabled people and would be discriminatory. The cost to the government would be massive, however well intentioned the move was. Most western countries are moving away from landfill towards reclamation and waste to energy schemes as well, this mitigates much of the environmental impact of disposable diapers (though is not perfect).
What is more realistic is a move to the use of sustainable materials with similar performance levels. This is not a quick process and has to be done carefully- there are some 'degradable' plastics out there that are exponentially worse than conventional plastics as they degrade into microplastics which havea far more significant impact.
This may also result in moves to reusable outers and disposable inners to reduce plastic consumption- this is not on the foreseeable horizon though.

Reactions: DLonly, boredofwheelchair, denimchicken and 2 others
Back