Physical copies or digital copies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chimera said:
That's true, our country is way behind in internet connection speeds. Our only choices in northern michigan is either Charter Spectrum (100mb/s) or DSL. I think everyone streaming games online is far from becoming commonplace, Unless we start seeing major internet upgrades over the next coming decade. Whether we like it or not though, companies like Sony and Microsoft are going to continue pushing for more digital sales, whether it's by having more discount sales on the online stores or whatever else.

Unfortunately, Like it or not, the demise of gamestop is inevitable. As of about 2016, their stock have been on a steady decline as stockholders lose more and more hope for the future of the company.

Well I honestly hope GameStop fails because GameStop is a terrible company.

GameStop offers people ridiculous trade in values (whether credit to buy new stuff, or even worse if you just want money) hoping people just trade their stuff in so they can slap a new sticker on your games, and sell it for many times what they offer you (think I have been offered like $3 for a game they could have easily sold for $30+ before)

And since the number of people buying physical copies is in serious decline, GameStop has taken to selling all kinds of other crap not relating to Video Gaming

They were taking in Cell Phones, MP3 Players, not to mention selling Funko Pop figures, trading cards, and all kinds of other collectibles on general

And they started getting stuff made exclusively to be sold in their stores, such as exclusive game bundles (like the upcoming $300 MK XI bundle with the Scorpion Mask) and special editions of game consoles.

I don't think GameStop can be saved and it isn't the only reason physical copies may be in Danger of becoming extinct.

Its because people are becoming lazier due to the conveniences of modern technologies.

Buying a digital game is much simpler than buy a physical copy, and it doesn't require anything besides your account being set up to pay for things digitally in the game store.

Once that is set up once can just sit on their couch, when a new game is released, pay for it I'm the Game Store, and download it and you are all set.

Buying a physical copy requires a trip to the store (or meeting someone in your area if you a buying a game off of them) or at least an account set up on Amazon, or eBay or any other website you can find that sells physical copies.

And that also requires a level of Trust in who you are buying from; not saying there is a Giant risk to it; but people may feel nervous when buying from an individual they dont

Not to mention you don't have to switch a game disc to switch games if you buy all your games digitally

BabyTyrant said:
Its because people are becoming lazier due to the conveniences of modern technologies.

Lazier, or adapting to those modern technologies and the conveniences they bring?

flapjackboy said:
Lazier, or adapting to those modern technologies and the conveniences they bring?

Well, unless your Grocery store doesn't have a full size Eletronic section it isn't like you couldn't just buy the game at the store (heck they have Walmarts basically everywhere and if you want to pay full price they will probably always have the game you want) while going out for groceries; which last I knew basically everybody everywhere still does.

And really how inconvenient is switching a game with the small collection an average gamer would probably have

I bet probably 95% or more probably dont have more than a dozen games for one system at a time, unless they buy a lot or almost everything digitally, which would mean they couldn't resell their old games, this means it would take at the most a few minutes to switch a game and start playing something different if they are both on Physical copies.

So I would call that Lazy; and for me saving a few minutes of time isn't worth almost always paying a larger price for a digital copy (sometimes double or triple what the cost of a physical used copy would cost, since on PS4 digital sales are almost always the more expensive option)

BabyTyrant said:
So I would call that Lazy; and for me saving a few minutes of time isn't worth almost always paying a larger price for a digital copy (sometimes double or triple what the cost of a physical used copy would cost, since on PS4 digital sales are almost always the more expensive option)

Great to see that you're supporting the developer by buying used games. Oh, wait...

Haven't really noticed that problem on PC. See, we have more options to get our games than on consoles. GOG, Green Man Gaming, Humble Bundle, Steam sales, CDKeys and many more. All legit copies and all really cheap. I get my games cheap enough that I'm not bothered about resale value and I'm still supporting the developer by buying a new copy.

It's not about being lazy, it's about realising that instead of queueing outside a GAME store (UK equivalent of GameStop) for the midnight release of a game, I can pre-order it on Steam and be playing the game before the people waiting patiently to get their physical copy. Sometimes even days before the official release date. I'll take that over a physical copy any day.

Last edited:
flapjackboy said:
Great to see that you're supporting the developer by buying used games. Oh, wait...

Haven't really noticed that problem on PC. See, we have more options to get our games than on consoles. GOG, Green Man Gaming, Humble Bundle, Steam sales, CDKeys and many more. All legit copies and all really cheap. I get my games cheap enough that I'm not bothered about resale value and I'm still supporting the developer by buying a new copy.

It's not about being lazy, it's about realising that instead of queueing outside a GAME store (UK equivalent of GameStop) for the midnight release of a game, I can pre-order it on Steam and be playing the game before the people waiting patiently to get their physical copy. Sometimes even days before the official release date. I'll take that over a physical copy any day.

Well on Consoles our options are either the online Game Store (whether it is Nintendo, Sony, Or Xbox); a retail store; and then we have used options through eBay, GameStores (GameStop is the Largest, besides that there is GameCraze which is smaller and IMO More fair to customers), and maybe Amazon (idk if Amazon themselves does used games, but there may be people that set up a store on Amazon that sell used games).

And at Walmarts some will try to get retail price months, or even years after a game has released; others may just want to move inventory when a game reaches a certain age; that way they get rid of old stuff easily and can use that space for new games that more people would buy early on

GameStop and GameCraze are what I would call between a Retail store and discount outlets; so a better option than brand new, but will likely sell games a bit over eBay costs because they have more expenses to pay than strictly online stores

My preferred option is usually buying on eBay 3-6+ months after a game is out; most sellers for 1 item compete (on price) to have lowest prices to sell their stuff quickly; so the longer a game is out the cheaper the price (people buy a game, beat it, list it on eBay, and then it may go through 2 or 3 more people, but at the end you can pay $15-$35 for games that were all $60+ tax brand new

That is already quite a bit of savings, but there is also special offer eBay offers that give 8% eBay bucks, 10% eBay bucks (basically out of every $100, $8 or $10 is given back to you in credit) ; or a straight 15% discount off the item price.

And you honestly very rarely have any issues; I mean things happen, but out of hundreds of transactions I have had less than 1% be nightmares and those have all been with me as a seller (people wanna abuse the system to basically steal).

So for me that makes eBay the best option; but also there is the Walmarts that want to sell games desperately sometimes or people that sell on community websites.

These provide way better prices than digitally on the majority of the games for PS4, Xbox, or Nintendo

BabyTyrant said:
These provide way better prices than digitally on the majority of the games for PS4, Xbox, or Nintendo

My point is that buying used copies doesn't benefit the developer as they don't get a penny from used game sales. At least I know that if I buy a digital copy, the developer is going to get some of the money I spend.

Used game sales hurt the industry far more than piracy, IMHO. At least with people who pirate a game, there's a strong chance that they'll buy a legit copy eventually and the developer will get that money. With used games, whilst the original purchaser has given them their money, the person who buys it off them has paid the developer jack shit.

flapjackboy said:
My point is that buying used copies doesn't benefit the developer as they don't get a penny from used game sales. At least I know that if I buy a digital copy, the developer is going to get some of the money I spend.

Used game sales hurt the industry far more than piracy, IMHO. At least with people who pirate a game, there's a strong chance that they'll buy a legit copy eventually and the developer will get that money. With used games, whilst the original purchaser has given them their money, the person who buys it off them has paid the developer jack shit.

So people should pay higher prices digitally simply because the money always goes to the Developer?

If they had cheaper prices digitally I would choose that option more often; there is technically less expenses selling a game digitally, so why don't they offer the games cheaper digitally? If the price is the same on day 1 physically and digitally at least when you buy a physical copy you can recover a decent amount of your money by selling that game when you are done with it.

Life is easier when I can spend less money on my hobbies and I prefer to have a larger collection physically and sell what I want when I'm done and recover some of my money back; if prices digitally were cheaper then I wouldn't care so much about giving up the option of selling the game later because it would be worth it.

You have to remember that games retail at $60+ tax, to most people in The United States that can be higher than their take home pay for a whole day and you have all these expenses you have to balance before you can set aside/spend money on your hobbies and it's hard given that your way of life is becoming harder over time

Price of everything goes up at a much faster rate than your income, so excuse me for being limited to a budget and wanting to stretch it as far as possible.

If I'm spending $65 on a game and especially if I dont have a physical copy to sell so it isnt a complete $65 loss when I am done; that would leave me with having to be more careful picking and choosing a few games instead of getting a bunch; and occasionally spending the $65 for a brand new game maybe 2 or 3 times a year.

I mean it's not like the gaming industry is full of Millionaires and even has Billionaires?

How much money did Rockstar get from GTA V? I dont think they felt threatened by used game sales

Last edited:
BabyTyrant said:
So people should pay higher prices digitally simply because the money always goes to the Developer?

Well, it's your choice to support a platform that actively rips the consumer off and convinces them that they should be grateful for it.

If they had cheaper prices digitally I would choose that option more often

Then join us in the PC Master Race. Our digital prices are way cheaper and we don't have to pay £60/year to use an internet connection we're already paying for. Our games download faster too.

there is technically less expenses selling a game digitally, so why don't they offer the games cheaper digitally? If the price is the same on day 1 physically and digitally at least when you buy a physical copy you can recover a decent amount of your money by selling that game when you are done with it.

I paid £30 for my copy of Fallout 4 on the PC. That's on release, on Steam. That's half the price it was on Console. You want to save money on games and get the superior version, PC is where it's at.

Life is easier when I can spend less money on my hobbies and I prefer to have a larger collection physically and sell what I want when I'm done and recover some of my money back; if prices digitally were cheaper then I wouldn't care so much about giving up the option of selling the game later because it would be worth it.

Again, games are cheaper digitally. On PC.

You have to remember that games retail at $60+ tax, to most people in The United States that can be higher than their take home pay for a whole day and you have all these expenses you have to balance before you can set aside/spend money on your hobbies and it's hard given that your way of life is becoming harder over time

Then give up the consoles?

If I'm spending $65 on a game and especially if I dont have a physical copy to sell so it isnt a complete $65 loss when I am done; that would leave me with having to be more careful picking and choosing a few games instead of getting a bunch; and occasionally spending the $65 for a brand new game maybe 2 or 3 times a year.

Then don't pay $65 on a game? Switch to PC and get far more games for that $65.

I mean it's not like the gaming industry is full of Millionaires and even has Billionaires?

Your point being?

How much money did Rockstar get from GTA V? I dont think they felt threatened by used game sales

It's not just about the money made from the sales, it's about the sales numbers. If you buy a used copy of a game, that doesn't count towards the sales numbers as well as the developer not getting the money they would have got from you if you had bought it new. In terms of continuing development for a franchise, sales numbers are more important than how much is made from those sales. Buying used games does not contribute to increased sales numbers, so you are risking the developer cancelling a franchise by buying used if enough people do it.

I have considered going to PC, but it's more expensive and would probably take a while to get used to and it is just so easy using my PS4 or Switch (though I play the PS4 more often).

I've been playing Nintendo and Sony consoles for so long it's just what I am used to and already comfortable with and it's an amazing experience with my PS4 Pro and 2016 Samsung SUHD 4K TV that does everything

Sure, PC might be more of an investment initially, but over the typical console generation lifespan, it is far cheaper. Plus, there are other advantages.

• No subscription for online. That's $50/year you're saving right off the bat.
  • Much cheaper games without having to go used.
  • A vastly larger library of games to choose from, with genres not even available on consoles. Also, if exclusives are your thing, PC has more of them than all consoles combined.
  • All the games you buy will still be playable on your PC when you upgrade it.
  • Speaking of upgrading, you don't have to buy a whole new PC to play the latest games, just the components that you need to get the extra performance you're after.
  • You can couch game with a PC just as easily as with a console. There are also more local co-op games on PC than on all current and last gen consoles combined.
  • Therer's a proliferation of very well designed emulators for the PC that allow you to play games from literally hundreds of older systems pretty much flawlessly and with the ability to use original controllers.
  • You can also use a gaming PC for other, more mundane PC stuff. You know, because it's still a PC.

Reactions: Chimera
flapjackboy said:
Sure, PC might be more of an investment initially, but over the typical console generation lifespan, it is far cheaper. Plus, there are other advantages.

• No subscription for online. That's $50/year you're saving right off the bat.
  • Much cheaper games without having to go used.
  • A vastly larger library of games to choose from, with genres not even available on consoles. Also, if exclusives are your thing, PC has more of them than all consoles combined.
  • All the games you buy will still be playable on your PC when you upgrade it.
  • Speaking of upgrading, you don't have to buy a whole new PC to play the latest games, just the components that you need to get the extra performance you're after.
  • You can couch game with a PC just as easily as with a console. There are also more local co-op games on PC than on all current and last gen consoles combined.
  • Therer's a proliferation of very well designed emulators for the PC that allow you to play games from literally hundreds of older systems pretty much flawlessly and with the ability to use original controllers.
  • You can also use a gaming PC for other, more mundane PC stuff. You know, because it's still a PC.
I second this, especially your last bullet-point and I use this reasoning a lot when convincing friends to come over to PC. It's quite a nice plus that not only can you play games on said gaming pc, you can also use MS office, browse the web [and buy diapers], produce music, and most importantly, you can mod your games to your heart's content (so long as you are hacking in online games, then obviously you risk a ban) Sales are also a great plus, I've easily saved over hundreds of dollars because many of my steam games were bought on a decent or even steep discount. \

Not to of course mention that we don't have to pay a subscription fee to play online and steam download speeds far surpass what the PS4 can do in download speeds (My friend brought over his ps4 one time, took forever to update because it was downloading at only about 150kb/s which is unfounded on my internet connection. Typically, my speeds go up to as high as 14mb/s on Steam (the hell is wrong with sony's servers? Kind of ridiculous since you guys have to pay for online)

As far as gaming on the couch, oh yes I have no problem with that, especially with my gaming laptop; I have a wireless xbox one controller so all I have to do is connect it to my TV's HDMI cable, launch a game, turn the controller on, and play! (so long as the game you are playing supports xbox controllers out of the box, then it's as seemless as I'm making it sound right now. older games might require you setting button inputs manually)

Another plus I like to mention is backwards compatibility. Sometimes it might require some hotfixes, but games from way back in the day Windows 95-XP usually work just fine with Windows 10. While PS4 and Xbox One have limited backwards compatibility capabilities, PC definitely has consoles beat in this aspect.

BabyTyrant said:
That depends on if you want the developer to keep making games.

Most of the books I buy I either buy as inexpensive digital copies or used at the library. Books I like enough to lend to others I buy paperback versions of from bookstores that i can loan to other people. My very favorite books i buy a digital version I can read on my phone or iPad whenever, a hard copy iI be get signed by the author, and a paperback one to loan out or toss in my backpack in the event of a dead device. Why? Because I want the author to keep writing books and me supporting them by purchasing books in a way that they earn money is me doing my part to keep getting those books.

I do the same with my favorite board games. I spoke what games i like and where I want my money to go by buying copies and expansions (and accessories) for myself and as time goes on copies and expansions, etc, for siblings and friends.

And with video games as well. I've probably bought stardew valley half a dozen times by now. One for myself on steam, one for a friend on steam, one for my brother on steam, once on the switch for myself, once on the switch for my sister, and once on my phone for myself. My sister buys every Lego game on every platform she has, because she likes the Lego games and wants them to keep making them. And Skyrim...

If you don't like the games then whatever. But if you do, support the people who made something that gives you joy, so they can keep making that which you enjoy.

The problem with no physical copies, you miss out on part of the market that has metered internet, because it becomes too costly to download a game. Until data is completely unlimited, I don't think we will ever see physical copies completely phased out... Or at least I hope not...

A digital-only console would pretty much lockout the population that either don’t have internet or have a slow internet connection. What are you going to do if you bought a game on a digital-only console and you didn’t like that game, bought it by accident/mistake, or decided to sell that game?

bigtoddler96 said:
A digital-only console would pretty much lockout the population that either don’t have internet or have a slow internet connection. What are you going to do if you bought a game on a digital-only console and you didn’t like that game, bought it by accident/mistake, or decided to sell that game?
The same thing you do with ebooks or music now. You live with the choice you made to purchase it.

bigtoddler96 said:

They expect you to keep the game.

I mean there are some exceptions depending on the platform, but regardless there are limitations.

The best options out there in regards to returning digital games will allow you to return them within 14 days; if you have played under 2 hours that is.

Idk about you, but I would still go the physical route, better to lose $10 or $15, than $65 if you find out you dislike the game.

I played Shadow of War for longer than 2 hours before I gave up on it, but I didn't buy the game; it was a free trial weekend on PS4, so no risk to me.

Azie said:
The problem with no physical copies, you miss out on part of the market that has metered internet, because it becomes too costly to download a game. Until data is completely unlimited, I don't think we will ever see physical copies completely phased out... Or at least I hope not...

We had metered internet at my house before, it would of been great to just check email and nothing else.

But unfortunately we are on the internet a lot at my house, so the bill was a lot more than just paying for unlimited internet costs (we didn't know it was gonna get that expensive though, and the cable company wouldn't give us any service because we owed a bill that was under my dad's name)

Last edited:
this is going toward Brave New World territory..

I will buy whatever is cheapest for PC games, as they all end up being redeemed to an account anyway.

But for consoles physical all the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back