NHS changed supplies not happy!

Pongoandperdi15

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Few years back I'd have been glad of this but the regular delivery I get has been changed from Tena slip to ID slip they said to improve "quality and care" in the letter.
As I said a few years back ID were cheaper than Tena and matched if not outperformed them in absorption and staying together, now I can't get an hour out of them before the stuffing is all clumped and I'm on the verge of a leak! They've seriously gone down hill and when I last checked they cost more than Tena! So I don't know who's been advising you NHS bladder & bowel service but I can tell you ID are taking you for a ride and there's gonna be a lot of grumpy incontinent people out there 😂
Tena got things right with the updated version of the pads why did you have to change it 🤣

Reactions: TeddyBunny, Magicalgirl101, Neroforte and 1 other person
Interesting - I really don't get on with the current version of the Tena Proskin slips, though I like the Active Slips.

My local NHS recently changed from Tena Home Delivery to a company called NHS Supply but I get the same Tena Maxi Slip. I cannot work out how a third party supplier can be cheaper than Tena themselves.

Reactions: TeddyBunny
I have always paid for my own nappies. I make shaped terry nappies myself which I use with plastic pants, but recently I have been using more disposables. I did think of asking NHS to pay for some of them but for now I will continue to buy what is best for me, especially with stories about NHS supplying the poor quality products.

Reactions: TeddyBunny, NappiedTruckDriver and Constantlydamp
Teddy02 said:
I have always paid for my own nappies. I make shaped terry nappies myself which I use with plastic pants, but recently I have been using more disposables. I did think of asking NHS to pay for some of them but for now I will continue to buy what is best for me, especially with stories about NHS supplying the poor quality products.
Hi Teddy02, If you qualify for adult nappies it is well worth contacting your local Continence Advisory Service. I get Tena Maxi slips for my night times and when I will be sitting for a long time which I have found to be very good. When I am out and about I use the pubic pressure urinal, also supplied by the NHS which gets me out of nappies for awhile. It saves £100+ per quarter.

Reactions: TeddyBunny and Teddy02
It is worth it, I used to buy my own but it cost me a fortune for them every month so even if I had to compromise. I must also stress the bladder and bowel service is different depending on where you live even though it's all provided by the home delivery service each individual NHS trust specifies what it wants to provide which is why my supply has changed and others are still getting Tena. I think my trust merged with another trust and so I got what ever was being supplied to them which happened to be ID, I might however have to complain and see if I can get them to change me back the clumping does my head in not to bad at night but during the day it's terrible in terms of hold they stay together well and the tapes come off ok to the point that if it hadn't gone clumpy you could put it back on something I'd never achieved with the cloth backed Tena.

Reactions: TeddyBunny, Teddy02 and Constantlydamp
Pongoandperdi15 said:
Few years back I'd have been glad of this but the regular delivery I get has been changed from Tena slip to ID slip they said to improve "quality and care" in the letter.
As I said a few years back ID were cheaper than Tena and matched if not outperformed them in absorption and staying together, now I can't get an hour out of them before the stuffing is all clumped and I'm on the verge of a leak! They've seriously gone down hill and when I last checked they cost more than Tena! So I don't know who's been advising you NHS bladder & bowel service but I can tell you ID are taking you for a ride and there's gonna be a lot of grumpy incontinent people out there 😂
Tena got things right with the updated version of the pads why did you have to change it 🤣
Insurance here will cover pretty much whatever it is that the medical store suppliers will carry! It's not like that in every state or with every insurance plan though. All of the briefs that insurance is willing to cover are better than what is carried in actual hospitals.

Reactions: TeddyBunny
Pongoandperdi15 said:
So not in the UK but wondering if you could call or make an appointment with them and voice your concerns. I would leave the cost aspect out of it or lean more to problems with the products themselves and in closing you could be like besides these functional issues the consumer prices Tena are more affordable. Again not sure how UK is but will assume its probably similar but sometimes if someone is buying in bulk they get different pricing than what consumers get, it's like alot of online sellers on US don't have actual inventory and some don't even have a huge office but work with a distributor and can say I often wondered if they sell at such a good price I do wonder what the wholesale prices are.

Also though it doesn't help I have heard similar things happening in the US the ones that supply them aren't users or caregivers themselves and they just look at prices. I know in a few states in the US bunch of special needs parents got together & complained about change of products and how it effected them if I remember they caused enough stink they were able to get the brand they were using. Though maybe hard to cause a ruckus you may need to just educate them or show them like sell them on why Tena is better than ID. It's like over the yrs when I use my diapers when in the hospital or healthcare facilities there are some healthcare workers genuinely impressed & know some have gone on to recommend what I used to other families because they didn't know or like new users here some only know whats available locally until they search online or in forum.

I try to look at situations like this is always a NO until you ask. It's like my insurance is different than many & heard stories some would pay for better products it didn't happen overnight but was able to educate them and a positive out of the situation they have actually changed non waiver products to a brand that works better & did get a better product but like I mentioned above I had to sell them on the benefits of these and it really wasn't only about cost.

Reactions: Constantlydamp
Being a current iD user I can say with confidence that the Tena Maxi medium I used to use were far better quality and could reliably take three perhaps four of my leaks before leaking whereas now with the iD's it's two leaks and find a changing place quickly if out and about.
Bring back the Tena ☺

Reactions: TeddyBunny, Constantlydamp and Pongoandperdi15
My local bladder and bowel service would only prescribe Abena and only level 1, that was too all who went to them. Currently getting them to review my case going via my GP and IFR team. First reply was nope and the response from the consultant was rubbish. 3 months later still waiting for a reply to what I asked.

Napincolove said:
Being a current iD user I can say with confidence that the Tena Maxi medium I used to use were far better quality and could reliably take three perhaps four of my leaks before leaking whereas now with the iD's it's two leaks and find a changing place quickly if out and about.
Bring back the Tena ☺
I got the plus and extra plus, one leak and I'm gone 🤣 have to wake middle of the night to change if not it will leak not impressed at all, gonna have to get in touch and if I'm stuck with ID at least get them increased to something like a super or maxi

Constantlydamp said:
My local NHS recently changed from Tena Home Delivery to a company called NHS Supply but I get the same Tena Maxi Slip. I cannot work out how a third party supplier can be cheaper than Tena themselves.
Mine come via the NHS supply chain

My late grandparent had awful nhs nappies for double incontinence that leaked .would have been better in all white Abu white nappies but nhs doesn't take well into account the degree of incontinence

This is why I buy my own

Teddy02 said:
I have been getting tena super plastic backed for about 3 years now. Never had an issue.

Thank you all. The poor old NHS is in such a state that I think I will continue to buy my own!! The nurses could do with the cash.

Reactions: Napincolove
Update on previous reply. A few months ago I got a regular delivery of tena but something had been changed in the design. They leaked much quicker and worse than that, the area on either side of the main 'landing pad' was much thinner. Affectively this meant that the padding split on the front and back from movement, sweat etc causing a little of discomfort and skin rash. Eventually after fighting with my local incontinence nurses, I had an appointment last week and showed them the issue and they have now moved me to ID. They used to be good so I'm hoping this resolves almost issues.

Reactions: Neroforte and ParaRomeo
Though it does seem like you have some better options, though it also seems like most govt run programs don't have patients best interest or usually only care about money or cost. Though I like the idea of having someone that has some knowledge it seems like it can go both ways like I have heard some cases where for quality of life (which most don't take into account) a person found a pullup or diaper to work but their IC nurse recommended a pad or something that the person doesn't have confidence in and that's a huge part of management. But I also know there are times where some gravitate towards say a diaper but only have light voids or mobile enough where a pullup might actually work better. Though each state is different in the US in what they pay for and there are some that don't have programs but commonly Tranquility ATN or Tena Super is usually their top of the line but there are other states it goes by cost per diaper not by overall cost (though its also hard to know what their contracted rate is vs if we were to buy them) but its like hospitals and I know manufactures prob discount them but most will have Huggies or Pampers for kids and trash for anyone in size small-xl but most of those companies that make value diapers for adults some have baby lines. Like First Quality/ Prevail they also make the Cuties/Boundless line for NB-8

But I hope the ID's are a better option and sometimes you need to be the squeaky wheel, show them or be descriptive

Reactions: Neroforte
incomic said:
Update on previous reply. A few months ago I got a regular delivery of tena but something had been changed in the design. They leaked much quicker and worse than that, the area on either side of the main 'landing pad' was much thinner. Affectively this meant that the padding split on the front and back from movement, sweat etc causing a little of discomfort and skin rash. Eventually after fighting with my local incontinence nurses, I had an appointment last week and showed them the issue and they have now moved me to ID. They used to be good so I'm hoping this resolves almost issues.
Another update! The ID slip are terrible. The padding falls apart and causes skin rash around the legs. Trying to hold back to the tena and going to use a booster pad.

I could have told you that 🤣 Ive just accepted fate they are what I'm stuck with, I Catheterise now so my use isnt as heavy as it once was but still the little I leak causes them to leak everything I own stinks of wee, I've also got a rash. I tried to battle with my local care but they are adamant that despite the number of complaints they are sticking with ID I'm guessing it's down to cost

• Wow
Reactions: Lostdiapersboy
Back