New mom here.

winterheart01 said:
It's not unusual for children with autism to be unaware of the signals to go, and there's no urologist that can "fix" it , they only thing that could be done depending on the level of how far he's in the spectrum is a routine training to try and make him aware, but this does not always work and if children with autism past 6 - 7 are still not trained, there's little guarantee it might work.

That was to address any hidden urological issues(kidney/bladder disorders)....not just autism related bedwetting.

ThatGuyFromThatThread said:
I would suggest trying to keep him focused on other things that interest him but are more typical.

If that doesn't let it pass, as a phase (it does for some but not others), clearly define the rules in a way you can both handle.

They make more obsorbant youth pull-ons, if more expensive than the usual youth ones. If he really wants a proper diaper, see if a part diaper is enough for him; let him pull it off like a diaper, if he wants, while being able to use it like a Pull-Up. If not, I still *strongly* advise only he changes himself.

Cleaning himself should be solely his responsibility, at his age. He should be able to diaper himself, too, if his motor skills aren't severely impaired.

You two need to figure out what comfort level(s) you have, so you can get on the same page but make sure he understands he's also expected to continue maturing in other ways.

I suggest he continue to develop teenaged interests, regardless, along with taking the corresponding responsibilities.

He will probably do the binge and purge cycle, so I suggest - if he says he wants to throw it all out - you offer a big trash bag but actually store it all for him. Let him be clear he wants it back, if he's going to, before you offer it back. You'll save potentially a lot of money, as this can go on for years.

Please and thank you.

~ A long-time AB/DL who wants to make this easier for you both
Very kind advice. You speak from experience! There are only a few of us that can realize the experience that you have shared.

• Love
Reactions: ThatGuyFromThatThread
crooke3 said:
OP specifically stated their son is autistic on a very early reply, and that he experiences bedwetting.

Thatguyfromthatthread: the idea that autistic people can't do well in mainstream school is flatly ableist and unacceptable. Autism is a set of neurological sensory/social/communication differences and not necessarily an intellectual disability. Please stick to talking to what you know about on a forum with so many autistic and disabled members.
I don't think you understood what I was saying at all. I initially assumed that's all she was saying but I saw a post about him having developmental delays. It was mentioned that he was similar to a 9 or 10 year old.

I have Asperger's and know Autistics, so I am sticking to what I know. I even graduated early. I see things in the Autism Spectrum as ranging from disabilities to actually being differently-abled, rather than being a net detriment. Sometimes, I regard them as a net positive. It's not uniform.

Last edited:
Okay need to put this to bed . I'm sorry Jessica . This is been bothering me . Okay this is a support site . I got it wrong could not see it ,works both ways . like adults talking about there childhood . and mother's talking about there children . hope I've not shot my self in the foot again

:rolleyes::unsure:🤐

Reactions: chrischrischris
Back