Neurologist

EastCoastIncon

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
A recent MRI showed a spinal meningioma and signal change so I was referred to a Columbia Neurologist, I’ve had reduced sensation in my bladder to the point I no longer feel when I am going, also had severe nerve pain and heavy legs. I’ve never been to the neurologist before and have some anxiety about it. Has anyone seen their neurologist for a similar issue and if so how did it go? Curious as to what to expect

EastCoastIncon said:
A recent MRI showed a spinal meningioma and signal change so I was referred to a Columbia Neurologist, I’ve had reduced sensation in my bladder to the point I no longer feel when I am going, also had severe nerve pain and heavy legs. I’ve never been to the neurologist before and have some anxiety about it. Has anyone seen their neurologist for a similar issue and if so how did it go? Curious as to what to expect
Sounds similar to Cauda Equina syndrome

Hi EastCostIncon,
since you already know what it is, my suggestion would be to go straight to a neurosurgeon. This can sometimes be removed minimally inversively and the faster the area is decompressed from the spinal cord, the better the chances are that the problems will go away. If you wait too long, the nerves may not recover.

Reactions: newt, jdinvirginia, Pino and 3 others
Sorry to what's happening to you. I only see my Neurologist 1 a year for my MRI Because I have NF. and I have to get them done 1 every year.. I'm in diapers my self becaus of a very larger tumor that is right next to my bladder and it's unoproble. It makes me go alot can't even make it to the bathroom on time.. so I'm stuck wearing diapers 24/7.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: Pino and Edgewater
mickdl said:
Hi EastCostIncon,
since you already know what it is, my suggestion would be to go straight to a neurosurgeon. This can sometimes be removed minimally inversively and the faster the area is decompressed from the spinal cord, the better the chances are that the problems will go away. If you wait too long, the nerves may not recover.
I full agree with mickdl! no reason for a consolations just to lose three months waiting to get an appointment with a neurosurgeon.

I agree with @mickdl and @edegewater try get an appointment with a neurosurgeon rather than a neurologist if possible. It can save quite some time if you need to go under the knife. Coming from experience with multiple spinal surgeries.

Reactions: Edgewater
Yes, if possible just get to the surgeon.

I see my neroulogist every 2-3 months for a myrid of issues. Cause is easy, had some issues from spinal menengits as an infant, and then got a short flight through a windshield, now have very unstable BP from 210's/150's down to 70/40's sometimes in less than 5 mins, and one 0/0BP and getting an IO broken leg(?'s), AKI's each time my bp crashes, and plenty more fun.
So, for the nero stuff, still sorta involved, somehow now have autonomic dysfunction as tested last year, and no sergery for that...Although they like the testing, EMG's, Disautonomic testing, Urologlogy, MRI's, Lots of blood, etc...

But, back on topic, get in ASAP to a surgeon, get things decomprressed if possible, anthing traumatic has best chances to heal if "fixed" quickly.

I dont think the drs are all correct, in fact have plenty that are NOT, but overall things dont repair in the old meat sack unless something is changed as a general rule. Yeah some trauma is just temp shock, but the big things, like even as basic as a severly broken bone, is not going to heal itself, and the quicker it's workred on the better.

Reactions: Edgewater
Back