Need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatguy44

Contributor
So I started wearing diapers and by far just trying to get the diaper has been an absolute disaster. I started with rearz princess. my waist is a 29-30 and i weigh 125 pounds. I have watched every try on-video and guide i could find. I have tried standing, laying down, and against the wall. Nothing is working. I have so much diaper spilling everywhere. At this point i have gone through half a bag and each time is worse than the last. I have literally no fking idea how to put this on. This was my latest attempt after about an hour.

Last edited:
Are you starting with the top or the bottom tapes? I find it easier to start with the bottom tapes and to lie down but prop myself up slightly with pillows under my back so I can see what I’m doing. First I make sure I have folded the diaper in half down the middle as that helps get the shape right then lie the diaper under yourself. Make sure you have it fairly symmetrical and straight and then pull the front up over yourself and spread out the front wings, if they’re really long and you’re struggling with the taping you might find it easier to cut them off.

Start with one side and do up the bottom tape and then do the bottom tapes of the other side. They don’t have to be completely even but try and get them roughly symmetricalIf the front wings have become a bit crinkled/ scrunched it’s then easier to smooth them out or tuck them away at this point before doing up the top tapes.

It does get easier with practice but also if you are really struggling with the tapes I’d definitely recommend a brand with hook & loop tapes (Eg: Tykables, Rearz Barnyard, ABU Bunnyhops) as that will give you more opportunities to readjust and practice without going through so many diapers.

Reactions: db80 and messydiaper
I haven't paid attention as I'm just struggling with everything at this point. No side is even and everything is spilling everywhere. I bought a 12 pack and I'd like to find a way to salvage these. If not ill just throw them away

My method: There could be many more ways of doing this effectively. This is mine. Unfold the diaper completely. Fold the diaper in half lengthwise, putting a crease down the middle of your crotch area. Hold the back of the diaper against a closet door frame. Adjust it so it's where you want it on your back waist line. Push your back on the door frame to hold the diaper in place. Reach down between your legs and pull the diaper up on your front side. Adjust it so that the front is the same height as the back. Tuck the front in at your legs for a snug fit. Now you're ready to tape. Start with one side of the bottom tape. Tape it securely, but not too tightly. Go to the other side bottom tape and repeat the process. When you feel like you have symmetry, go back to the top tape on one side. Pull the top tape toward the middle of the front and at a slight angle down. Secure this top tape with some tightness. Repeat with the other top tape, snugging it with a slight down angle. Done properly, the diaper will not want to fall off. It will stay on the hips. My wife sometimes puts my nighttime diaper on me, and I thoroughly enjoy that, but no one can put a diaper on me better than I can. Lots of practice :).

Reactions: chamberpot, littlemoosey and GoodnitesXL21
thatguy44 said:
I haven't paid attention as I'm just struggling with everything at this point. No side is even and everything is spilling everywhere. I bought a 12 pack and I'd like to find a way to salvage these. If not ill just throw them away
Definitely slow down and try to really pay attention to what you’re doing. There’s no rush to finish taping up, it’s worth taking the extra time to get everything lined up correctly and the wings etc smoothed out before you start taping. Get yourself somewhere private and comfortable and at a time when you know you can take as long as you need.

Then you need to take each step slowly; laying the diaper out flat, lying on top of it and making sure your back is roughly in the middle, pulling up the front and making sure that again the front and back are roughly even, smooth down the front wings so they’re not in the way, fasten the first bottom tapes and then the second and if they’re very uneven untape, readjust and try again, then finally fasten the top tapes. Hopefully if you go slow you will find it easier, or at the very least can work out where in the process you’re falling into difficulty.

Reactions: MaxDL
Possibly they are a size too big? You say you have a 30 inch waist, are they medium or small?

The top tapes are coming pretty close together in the picture, and there is a lot of material between your legs, which makes it look like they may be a size too big for you.

Not sure what to suggest if they are the wrong size, you might be able to sell them on.

The tapes are designed to attach to the landing zone. That's the thicker, glossy patch across the front.

Hey guys thanks for all the help. I was able to fix what was wrong

Reactions: GoodnitesXL21
thatguy44 said:
I was able to fix what was wrong
Can you tell us what you did to fix the problem so that if someone else is having the same problem, they have a possible fix?

BabyDenise said:
Can you tell us what you did to fix the problem so that if someone else is having the same problem, they have a possible fix?
I was wrong I thought i had fixed my issue. My night tonight was even worse than past nights.
Grayham said:
Possibly they are a size too big? You say you have a 30 inch waist, are they medium or small?

The top tapes are coming pretty close together in the picture, and there is a lot of material between your legs, which makes it look like they may be a size too big for you.

Not sure what to suggest if they are the wrong size, you might be able to sell them on.

The tapes are designed to attach to the landing zone. That's the thicker, glossy patch across the front.
These are mediums. The smallest they offer for the princess. On the website they say it should fit me and for the most part it does. I'm not having issues with them falling down even when wet. The only issue im having is not being able to put the diaper on correctly.
KaleidoscopeKitty said:
Definitely slow down and try to really pay attention to what you’re doing. There’s no rush to finish taping up, it’s worth taking the extra time to get everything lined up correctly and the wings etc smoothed out before you start taping. Get yourself somewhere private and comfortable and at a time when you know you can take as long as you need.

Then you need to take each step slowly; laying the diaper out flat, lying on top of it and making sure your back is roughly in the middle, pulling up the front and making sure that again the front and back are roughly even, smooth down the front wings so they’re not in the way, fasten the first bottom tapes and then the second and if they’re very uneven untape, readjust and try again, then finally fasten the top tapes. Hopefully if you go slow you will find it easier, or at the very least can work out where in the process you’re falling into difficulty.
I simply don't know what I'm doing. I'm completely new to diaper wearing. I'm focusing on putting them on standing/against the wall because at the moment I wear them mostly at work overnight. So im changing in a private bathroom but not big or clean enough to lay down. I'm watching videos on youtube and some people are saying unfold the wings some say fold them. Some are saying point the bottom tape downward and others saying upward. I'm putting them on in front of a mirror and I cant fix the issue cause I don't know how. Like two big issues I'm having is I cant readjust a side without the whole diaper falling apart and the tape is comes apart really fast trying to adjust. All I can honestly say is I have no idea how to get my diaper to look like everyone else.

thatguy44 said:
I'm completely new to diaper wearing......
That's it! 😁
It takes a while to find out your best fit and size (and it'll vary from brand to brand). Don't worry about how others look, do what fits you.
'Buy and try' is the fun, but costly, only way.

A useful method for changing standing up is to attach the tapes in known, tested positions, without relying on how the nappy is positioned on your body while in the act of changing. The aim is to tape every nappy into a replica of a well-fitted one that you have fine-tuned under better conditions.

If you can try putting one on lying down (ideally on your bed) you will have more control about where the tapes go and less of a fight with gravity. Put a nappy on with careful, symmetrical tape positioning. Get up, walk about, discover how that fitting works out in practice. Lie down, make any necessary adjustments, get up and try walking around again. Repeat until you have refined the taping position to give at least a reasonably comfortable fit, even if it's not perfect yet. Carefully note the tape positions on the front wings, using any available guide marks, distance from the edges etc. If you can pull the nappy down and take it off without untaping, you can take a careful look at the taping with it lying flat on the table.

Now try putting on a new nappy standing up, positioning the tapes exactly as they had been on the successful trial fitting. Don't worry if the nappy isn't yet in the right position on your body, just get front wings flattened out so that the tapes stick properly, and stick them in the right positions, starting with the bottom tapes. Once all four tapes are stuck, centralise and snuggle the nappy into the position it wants to be in, which should be a reconstruction of the original successful fitting. Once you have tried say five nappies fitted exactly the same way, if there are alterations you want to test, adjust the taping positions in small steps, being sure you know what the result of one adjustment has been before making another.

In theory you might get a slightly better fit by adjusting each nappy exactly to its own optimum fit, rather than replicating the trial one. But in practice, in a bathroom stall, you are likely to get a more consistent result, much more quickly, using the tested taping positions. I often use this method because I change a lot in public and workplace stalls. I can easily tape an ordinary nappy into a perfectly adequate fit in 12-15 seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
thatguy44 said:
I was wrong I thought i had fixed my issue. My night tonight was even worse than past nights.

These are mediums. The smallest they offer for the princess. On the website they say it should fit me and for the most part it does. I'm not having issues with them falling down even when wet. The only issue im having is not being able to put the diaper on correctly.

I simply don't know what I'm doing. I'm completely new to diaper wearing. I'm focusing on putting them on standing/against the wall because at the moment I wear them mostly at work overnight. So im changing in a private bathroom but not big or clean enough to lay down. I'm watching videos on youtube and some people are saying unfold the wings some say fold them. Some are saying point the bottom tape downward and others saying upward. I'm putting them on in front of a mirror and I cant fix the issue cause I don't know how. Like two big issues I'm having is I cant readjust a side without the whole diaper falling apart and the tape is comes apart really fast trying to adjust. All I can honestly say is I have no idea how to get my diaper to look like everyone else.
Trying to learn how to put on a diaper standing up in a small, unclean space is definitely not ideal. If you’re able to it would probably be a lot easier to practice putting them on at home where you can sit/ lie down at least until you feel confident at putting them on. Standing up is definitely more fiddly because you have gravity working against you.

In terms of how to do the wings and tapes etc there isn’t really a correct way, it is all down to personal preference/ body shape so don't overthink that part yet, you can’t work out what works best until you first get the hang of getting the diaper on without it falling apart! It’s more important that you have the tapes roughly even/ symmetrical on each side than it is whether they point up/ down etc. Make sure you are getting the tapes on the landing zone (the thicker, smooth clear plastic at the front of the diaper) too as that should allow you to readjust the tapes without ripping them and if your tapes are on the landing zone that should make it easier to get a good fit.

If you are still struggling and wasting a lot of diapers I do definitely recommend you try some changing to diapers with a hook & loop style fastening (Eg: Tykables, Rearz Barnyard, ABU Bunnyhops/ DinoRawz) as that should make it easier both to use a landing zone and to learn how to refasten and adjust. Once you’ve got the hang of hook & loop then you could move on to taped diapers if that would be your preference.

KaleidoscopeKitty said:
Trying to learn how to put on a diaper standing up in a small, unclean space is definitely not ideal. If you’re able to it would probably be a lot easier to practice putting them on at home where you can sit/ lie down at least until you feel confident at putting them on. Standing up is definitely more fiddly because you have gravity working against you.

In terms of how to do the wings and tapes etc there isn’t really a correct way, it is all down to personal preference/ body shape so don't overthink that part yet, you can’t work out what works best until you first get the hang of getting the diaper on without it falling apart! It’s more important that you have the tapes roughly even/ symmetrical on each side than it is whether they point up/ down etc. Make sure you are getting the tapes on the landing zone (the thicker, smooth clear plastic at the front of the diaper) too as that should allow you to readjust the tapes without ripping them and if your tapes are on the landing zone that should make it easier to get a good fit.

If you are still struggling and wasting a lot of diapers I do definitely recommend you try some changing to diapers with a hook & loop style fastening (Eg: Tykables, Rearz Barnyard, ABU Bunnyhops/ DinoRawz) as that should make it easier both to use a landing zone and to learn how to refasten and adjust. Once you’ve got the hang of hook & loop then you could move on to taped diapers if that would be your preference.
I've had a bunch of people tell me they think the diaper is too big. I contacted rearz and they said the princess should fit a 29-30 waist but many of the other brands have a smaller size so I think i will start there. At this point I do think it's an issue with the princess and for the meantime i plan to just buy some generic cvs, etc diapers and if they fit a lot better then ill start looking for smaller size diapers.

messydiaper said:
My method: There could be many more ways of doing this effectively. This is mine. Unfold the diaper completely. Fold the diaper in half lengthwise, putting a crease down the middle of your crotch area. Hold the back of the diaper against a closet door frame. Adjust it so it's where you want it on your back waist line. Push your back on the door frame to hold the diaper in place. Reach down between your legs and pull the diaper up on your front side. Adjust it so that the front is the same height as the back. Tuck the front in at your legs for a snug fit. Now you're ready to tape. Start with one side of the bottom tape. Tape it securely, but not too tightly. Go to the other side bottom tape and repeat the process. When you feel like you have symmetry, go back to the top tape on one side. Pull the top tape toward the middle of the front and at a slight angle down. Secure this top tape with some tightness. Repeat with the other top tape, snugging it with a slight down angle. Done properly, the diaper will not want to fall off. It will stay on the hips. My wife sometimes puts my nighttime diaper on me, and I thoroughly enjoy that, but no one can put a diaper on me better than I can. Lots of practice :).
Although I rarely use disposables, and my wife takes care of me. Those were great directions, I could actually follow them and if I have to use a disposable I will remember what you have said here.

Reactions: messydiaper
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back