Need advice, transferring dvd to computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

starpup

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
Im after advice on how to transfer dvds onto my computer, reason for this is i find it more convenient to just use flash drives as i can use them with more devices, and i will free up a heap of cupboard space by not having boxes of dvds anymore.
Ive done this with most of my cd's but i just cant work out how to save a dvd to my laptop, ive got windows7 home premium.
If i need to download something to do this, what should i get? , the easier to use the better!
Also hoping to be able to save them as mp4 or be able to convert them to mp4 afterwards if need be :)

Thank you, ill have a good look at those options youve listed, in the past a friend put clone dvd on my old vista laptop which was easy to use so ill check out theirs first :)

If you don't just dump the dvd but want to reencode the DVDs you really should take care to choose a decent encoder and settings the first time around.
Basically you want to copy the DVD audio tracks without changing them and re-encode the movie track with x264 at a low (maybe 16) CRF so you don't have to carefully check each rip to be transparent.

Converting DVD to Mp4 is not easy, ESPECIALLY if there is write protection.
I do not suggest doing this for movies unless you filmed them, as that is piracy.

Assuming you are just wanting to do this for own benefit and supplies, You can actually "Burn" (Copy) disks using Windows Media Player.

You should see the side panel it should say "Copy to ____".....Also, one last thing. You obviously require a DVD Rom reader on your computer. A regular CD reader will get you nowhere and wont be able to read the DVD's.

I am sorry if I came across as mean, But I dont know exactly what your planning, just know what your getting yourself into.

BrandonBabypup said:
I do not suggest doing this for movies unless you filmed them, as that is piracy.

It's technically legal. :D As long as you don't share the file online. "Piracy" would be sharing the ripped file. What's also illegal, other than sharing the video, is coding or hosting the tool used to circumvent a disc's encryption. Yes, I'm posting a wikipedia link, but there's a valid source listed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripping#Circumvention_of_DVD_copy_protection

So... no one is going to care if you rip a DVD for personal viewing.
And he just says he prefers video files for convenience. I can understand that. For example, I have tons of CDs, but I don't really use them much anymore. :sweatdrop:

I use Freemake Video Converter to make MP4s of my DVDs that I keep on my laptop so that i don't have to haul around a bunch of DVDs with me.

I use magic dvd ripper, it is shareware but there is a way to get unlimited uses if you install it in a sandbox. Like as in SandboxIE, you must run the installer in sandbox mode then each time you want to use it you must navigate to your sandbox folder and run the magic dvd program from inside the sandbox. You get 5 turns to open it and when you exhaust those turns, just delete the sandbox and reinstall magic in the fresh sandbox... just to let you know that with any conversion software that this may take a few or several hours. It works really fast on a quad core, roughly half the length of the movie. Like if a movie lasts for 100 min of video, then it would take roughly 50 min with a quad core. A single core will take about 8hrs.

Last edited:
I would never trust my collection to a piece of software which hides the encoders and actual quality settings from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back