Mountain hiking in the UK

ItsTimmyTime

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
I thought it would be interesting to see how many people on ADISC enjoying spending their time in the Lake District, Snowdonia or The Scottish Highlands?

Do we have any Wainwright baggers in here? #214
My wife and I completed all of these a few years back now. That's a nice little achievement to have and it was a lot of fun, so much in fact, we started a second round 🙂

How about Munro Baggers? #282
We can only claim to have summited 12 of these but our favourites so far are Liathach, Blaven and Bidean Nam Bian. There's some real beauts, that's for sure!! 😍

Reactions: Deleted member 39193 and littlemoosey
This wouldn’t have anything to do with the 1995 comedy movie “The Englishman who Went up a Hill but Came down a Mountain” would it?

• Haha
Reactions: ItsTimmyTime
Zeke said:
This wouldn’t have anything to do with the 1995 comedy movie “The Englishman who Went up a Hill but Came down a Mountain” would it?
Noooooo, there's no hidden joke here @Zeke 🙈🤭

Last edited:
I am a big fan of the Dutch mountains......

• Love
  • Thinking
Reactions: Deleted member 39193 and ItsTimmyTime
Tenawearer said:
Hmmmmm, I think someone is having me on 🤣..... I worked in Holland in my twenties and I don't ever recall seeing single a mountain. That's one flat country. Beautiful but very flat.... hence all the windmills eh? 😉

.............and all the cyclists, both for transportation and professional. The dutch women are the best race cyclists in the world at the moment.
The lakes are one of favourite places for fell walking. Closer to (old) home Macclesfield forest and the Peak district are both beautiful.
Highest " mountain " here is a magnificent 69 m above sea level.

Reactions: Deleted member 39193 and ItsTimmyTime
Closest fells to us are in Sauerland, Germany, a couple of hours away. Well worth a visit. With a good winter skiing is good too. Not to mention great beer.

• Love
Tenawearer said:
My great grandfather was a leader in the Dutch Mountain Rescue Service. I can vaguely remember his St. Bernard. 🤣

Tenawearer said:
.............and all the cyclists, both for transportation and professional. The dutch women are the best race cyclists in the world at the moment.
The lakes are one of favourite places for fell walking. Closer to (old) home Macclesfield forest and the Peak district are both beautiful.
Highest " mountain " here is a magnificent 69 m above sea level.
Yes the Peak District is nice as well. That's crazy the highest "hill" is only 69m above sea level!

I miss the Dutch traditions and the people. I spent a Christmas over there, working near Tiel. I rented out a room which was within the home of the landlord. He was a character! One Evening after a long day at work I was laying in my room dozing off when my landlord and his friend both barged in, singing with bells jingling, dressed up in costume as black peters 🤣🤣

That was quite a surprise!

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 39193
ItsTimmyTime said:
I thought it would be interesting to see how many people on ADISC enjoying spending their time in the Lake District, Snowdonia or The Scottish Highlands?

Do we have any Wainwright baggers in here? #214
My wife and I completed all of these a few years back now. That's a nice little achievement to have and it was a lot of fun, so much in fact, we started a second round 🙂

How about Munro Baggers? #282
We can only claim to have summited 12 of these but our favourites so far are Liathach, Blaven and Bidean Nam Bian. There's some real beauts, that's for sure!! 😍

I’ve no experience of mountain hiking in the UK, but I have spent a lot of time walking in the Norwegian mountains. These days I’m fortunate enough to live within the South Downs National Park just outside Winchester, no mountains but some very steep hills with breathtaking views in places both inland towards the Weald, North Downs etc, and also towards the English Channel coast.

• Love
DLmikey said:
I’ve no experience of mountain hiking in the UK, but I have spent a lot of time walking in the Norwegian mountains. These days I’m fortunate enough to live within the South Downs National Park just outside Winchester, no mountains but some very steep hills with breathtaking views in places both inland towards the Weald, North Downs etc, and also towards the English Channel coast.
Niiiiiice!!! I bet the Norwegian mountains are on a whole different level compared to British mountains. Surely you came across some nice winter conditions? 😍

ItsTimmyTime said:
Niiiiiice!!! I bet the Norwegian mountains are on a whole different level compared to British mountains. Surely you came across some nice winter conditions? 😍
Yes, pretty spectacular in places. The weather can be very variable, depending on which part of the country you’re in. Norway is an amazingly long country north to south, with much of the northern half within the arctic circle, with winter harsh conditions in the mountains throughout most of the year, with the right weather set-up snow showers are possible at any time of the year. The west is much more variable, and even in winter rain and strong winds are just as likely as snow even in winter except for the very highest ground.

The topography is generally much gentler in the south, with some surprisingly gentle undulating hills in parts of Vestfold and Telemark, more akin to what we are used to in the UK. There are still some quite rugged outcrops in places though.

I would love to have a go at some of the Wainwright walks sometime, to my great shame much of my family is from Yorkshire yet I still haven’t done any serious walking in the Pennines.

Definitely much respect and hats off to you and your Wife for completing the Wainwright hikes - that’s seriously impressive.

• Love
DLmikey said:
Yes, pretty spectacular in places. The weather can be very variable, depending on which part of the country you’re in. Norway is an amazingly long country north to south, with much of the northern half within the arctic circle, with winter harsh conditions in the mountains throughout most of the year, with the right weather set-up snow showers are possible at any time of the year. The west is much more variable, and even in winter rain and strong winds are just as likely as snow even in winter except for the very highest ground.

The topography is generally much gentler in the south, with some surprisingly gentle undulating hills in parts of Vestfold and Telemark, more akin to what we are used to in the UK. There are still some quite rugged outcrops in places though.

I would love to have a go at some of the Wainwright walks sometime, to my great shame much of my family is from Yorkshire yet I still haven’t done any serious walking in the Pennines.

Definitely much respect and hats off to you and your Wife for completing the Wainwright hikes - that’s seriously impressive.
It sounds like a beautiful place, I've never had the privilege of traveling there but I would love to. It's really interesting to learn how vastly different the climate can be between North and South but obviously that does make a lot of sense.

It sounds like you must've spent some considerable time in Norway. Did you live or work there for a time?

Funny isn't it, when something is right on your doorstep it's easy to overlook it. We did the same with the Lakes for many years until we discovered our love for hiking. Thanks for the praise @DLmikey, the Lakeland fells are nowhere near on par with the vastness and difficulty of the Scottish Hills (which I'd love to bag someday), nevertheless, it is a good feather in the cap 😊🙏

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 39193
ItsTimmyTime said:
It sounds like a beautiful place, I've never had the privilege of traveling there but I would love to. It's really interesting to learn how vastly different the climate can be between North and South but obviously that does make a lot of sense.

It sounds like you must've spent some considerable time in Norway. Did you live or work there for a time?

Funny isn't it, when something is right on your doorstep it's easy to overlook it. We did the same with the Lakes for many years until we discovered our love for hiking. Thanks for the praise @DLmikey, the Lakeland fells are nowhere near on par with the vastness and difficulty of the Scottish Hills (which I'd love to bag someday), nevertheless, it is a good feather in the cap 😊🙏
Yes I have been very lucky and Norway has always been a big part of my life. When I was a very small child we lived opposite an elderly Norwegian gentleman who had settled in the UK after coming to the UK as a young man in WW2. As I grew up I got to know his Norwegian family quite well and his granddaughter became my girlfriend.

I worked in Norway for a while and still have clients in Norway so have made countless visits for both work and pleasure over the years.

Norway is very beautiful, but I have yet to travel to a another country with such a wide variety of different types of wonderful landscapes in such a geographically very small area as Britain and Ireland, I always think we are incredibly fortunate living here. 😊 Enjoy your walking!

• Love
Back