Megamax = Mega Expensive

DLinSecret

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
For years I’ve been a big supporter of Northshore Care and more recently the Megamax Diaper but I just can’t justify the cost any more.

Auto ship with discounts for 40 diapers is $147!!!
$3.36 / diaper

So many comparable diapers on the market now with capacity and fit compared to megamax at $1 less per diaper I just can’t renew the subscription. While I have the means to afford the diapers no problem I no longer see the value.

One last thing, the quality with the tapes has gone down. I can no longer un-tape without the diaper ripping. When these first came out never had that problem. Now the tapes are so damn sticky the front of the diaper gets destroyed. Mainly the top tapes vs the bottom ones.

Anyone else feeling the same as I about Megamax?

Reactions: Neroforte, MegaMaxx, Magicalgirl101 and 4 others
DLinSecret said:
For years I’ve been a big supporter of Northshore Care and more recently the Megamax Diaper but I just can’t justify the cost any more.

Auto ship with discounts for 40 diapers is $147!!!
$3.36 / diaper

So many comparable diapers on the market now with capacity and fit compared to megamax at $1 less per diaper I just can’t renew the subscription. While I have the means to afford the diapers no problem I no longer see the value.

One last thing, the quality with the tapes has gone down. I can no longer un-tape without the diaper ripping. When these first came out never had that problem. Now the tapes are so damn sticky the front of the diaper gets destroyed. Mainly the top tapes vs the bottom ones.

Anyone else feeling the same as I about Megamax?
What color are you having trouble with? I found my last batch of blue ones ripped just like you are describing. After reading a couple of comments by Adam about the black and white colors having the most turnaround, and thus having fixes incorporated faster, I switched to the black ones and have not had them rip.

On the other hand, I wanted to make sure that I was purchasing megamax airs that would not have their tapes rip so I contacted support to ask if I would be getting a fixed version of the megamax airs if I were to purchase a pack of smalls. They assured me that they’d be v2 so I got them, but I have since encountered the same problem. Roughly 4 hours after putting them the bottom tapes pop off, even if I am lying on bed or just sitting and watching TV. This happens even if I am extra careful when taping them or moving around. I have since taken to stapling the bottom tapes before putting them on just to make them functional. Feels as if I wasted 25% of my case, sadly.

I agree that they are expensive, but in what universe are you living that there is any product out there at all that is comparable to Megamax for $1 less per brief? There are only a few diapers out there that are even close to the capacity and comfort of Megamax and they are all in the same price range or higher. I feel the pain of shoveling out more than $3 per diaper, but there is really nothing out there with the comfort and capacity of Megamax. Expensive yes, but worth every penny if you can afford it.

As for your complaint about the tapes, I disagree fully. Strong tapes are a GOOD THING, not a bad thing. They need to be secure to stay on, anything less would be a defect and a problem. I occasionally will need to pull the diaper down to use the toilet and I need the tapes to be strong enough to stay tight when I pull the Megamax back on. Your complaint is like saying they are too comfortable and too effective at preventing leaks. Not a bad thing, but a truly good thing about them.

• Love
Reactions: TheDideeboy, KindaOlde, BobbiSueEllen and 1 other person
I love Megamax, but they HAVE gone up... I've heard these are good-

Haven't tried them yet...

Reactions: diaperdude
Love the diaper but the cost is insane.

Why have these prices become so high ?

LaLoneDigi said:
I love Megamax, but they HAVE gone up... I've heard these are good-

Haven't tried them yet...
The incontrol premium nights are great!!! I’d have to say they are better than Mega Max

Reactions: Diprs2, MegaMaxx and LaLoneDigi
Some of you may not like this, but I have found the Bambino Bellissimo to be superior to the Mega Max. Also, Dry 24/7 has better fit and capacity. And I consider them to be more comfortable than the North Shore Mega Max.

Reactions: Diprs2, DLinSecret, RestrainU4Me and 1 other person
I've been ordering Better Dry and Crinklz a lot more recently after being a diehard Megamax user since pretty early on. Same I cant really justify the extra for the Megamax. I also just put in a order with InControl to try several of there's

Reactions: Diprs2, DLinSecret and LaLoneDigi
Andrewgdfw said:
Supply chain economics related to the pandemic and because people are willing to buy them at a high price. If you just got to have that print, colored, or extremely absorbent disposable then there is someone out there willing to sell it to you at a high price.

Why are people still buying houses right now at a 40% price increase over just a few years ago with increasing mortgage rates? Because they feel like they need to. Is it smart? Not really. At least with a house, your value will stay in it if you keep it for a long time. Unless you buy a money pit, which is always possible.

Spiro910 said:
What color are you having trouble with? I found my last batch of blue ones ripped just like you are describing. After reading a couple of comments by Adam about the black and white colors having the most turnaround, and thus having fixes incorporated faster, I switched to the black ones and have not had them rip.

On the other hand, I wanted to make sure that I was purchasing megamax airs that would not have their tapes rip so I contacted support to ask if I would be getting a fixed version of the megamax airs if I were to purchase a pack of smalls. They assured me that they’d be v2 so I got them, but I have since encountered the same problem. Roughly 4 hours after putting them the bottom tapes pop off, even if I am lying on bed or just sitting and watching TV. This happens even if I am extra careful when taping them or moving around. I have since taken to stapling the bottom tapes before putting them on just to make them functional. Feels as if I wasted 25% of my case, sadly.
Sorry for the confusion, actually v2 of MegaMax Air has been delayed and won't be available until may or June. It will have the same adhesive tapes and smooth landing zone as Original MegaMax, i.e. no more velcro hook tapes.

Reactions: MajesticHamster, PaddedRita, MegaMaxx and 2 others
Andrewgdfw said:
Prices for paper and plastic to make diapers have more than doubled in last 2 years. Paper still at all time high. Many other brands that don't raise prices either have to make products thinner or suffer great losses. At NorthShore, we won't lower our quality standards and we aim to be around for as long as possible. Wish we didn't have to raise prices so much to accomplish this, but the last couple years were totally unprecedented in a lot of ways.

Reactions: MajesticHamster, Magicalgirl101, Diprs2 and 4 others
Spiro910 said:

White Plastic backed is all I buy, haven’t tried any other colors assuming same issues but apparently not…

NorthShoreAdam said:
Prices for paper and plastic to make diapers have more than doubled in last 2 years. Paper still at all time high. Many other brands that don't raise prices either have to make products thinner or suffer great losses. At NorthShore, we won't lower our quality standards and we aim to be around for as long as possible. Wish we didn't have to raise prices so much to accomplish this, but the last couple years were totally unprecedented in a lot of ways.
Appreciate your response, and your commitment to quality. I think there are opportunities in the quality as it relates to the tapes. Otherwise I agree it is superior protection while competitors close the gap.

patrick1776 said:
I agree that they are expensive, but in what universe are you living that there is any product out there at all that is comparable to Megamax for $1 less per brief? There are only a few diapers out there that are even close to the capacity and comfort of Megamax and they are all in the same price range or higher. I feel the pain of shoveling out more than $3 per diaper, but there is really nothing out there with the comfort and capacity of Megamax. Expensive yes, but worth every penny if you can afford it.

As for your complaint about the tapes, I disagree fully. Strong tapes are a GOOD THING, not a bad thing. They need to be secure to stay on, anything less would be a defect and a problem. I occasionally will need to pull the diaper down to use the toilet and I need the tapes to be strong enough to stay tight when I pull the Megamax back on. Your complaint is like saying they are too comfortable and too effective at preventing leaks. Not a bad thing, but a truly good thing about them.
The tapes and front are designed to be fastened and unfastened which for me is important as I don’t have bowl incontinence but do have IBS. So to unfasten the tapes “for me” causing the diaper to rip is not a good thing when I’m at work or out with friends and don’t have a spare on hand, hence why I buy megamax / extra capacity to not have to change as frequent.

To each their own I guess in what you value.

Also, there are other brands which have equal capacity that go on sale from time to time for which I take advantage of so I guess the world I live in is one where I’m price conscious and therefore look for a deal with quality protection when it arises.

Appreciate your perspective and opinion.

XPmedical has confidry for about $1.65/diaper and betterdry for $1.58 (small) to $1.75 (large) when bought by the case. Also includes free discrete shipping. I happen to like all white, so it's a no brainer for me.

Reactions: Jorelaxed
I agree they are expensive, and for that reason I don't use them as my staple. But, at the same time, I'm hard pressed to think of something that hits all of the high points as well as they do: not overly bulky and generally are quite comfortable, work very well, fit me perfectly, padding doesn't break down or bunch, not very noisy, are surprising discreet under clothing, tapes can be refastened at least twice with no issues....for me, I think they're an amazing product.

• Love
Reactions: Jonnythepony, Jorelaxed, diaperdude and 1 other person
I'm not happy about the prices of much currently, including MegaMax and MegaMax Air, but my closet is still filled with shelves full of them. I am back to using cloth more at home and using very cheap disposables for my morning IBS issues, which means I'm only paying for great protection when needed.

Reactions: DLinSecret and diaperdude
If you are worried about the cost over time try cloth bigger investment up front but much cheaper over time.

Reactions: DLinSecret
Finally got a pack of these-

I've tried a couple from the pack, and I like them! Megamax fits me a little more comfortably, but these still fit great, and hold a lot for the price. Haven't had a chance to really flood them, so I'm not sure how the wicking and capacity compare, but they do seem to crinkle more...

Anyway, they get my proper vote as a potential replacement disposable.

• Love
Reactions: Neroforte, babyky, DLinSecret and 1 other person
Back